Pinch gripping

Guest el4n

Looking for some opinions on pinch grip trainning. Assuming you have a block to pinch and can add weight to that block (on a loading pin for example)

Do you think 1) trainning by holding a certain amount of weight, and trying to increase the time you hold the block (say adding a second or two each workout until you reach 20 seconds or some other time you pre-determine to acheive before you move up in weight and try to work up to 20 seconds again) is the best method of trainning pinch grip, or do you perfer to 2) try to increase the max weight you can pinch each workout (even if it's just a fraction of a pound each time) not worring about how long you can lift the block for (even if it's just getting the weight airborne for half a second before it comes back down to the ground) ?

I'd like to hear what some of you consider to be the best method, and have had success with in the past. Thanks!

The method that works the best for me is when I can hold a certain weight for ten seconds, I add more. When I reach that ten second mark, adding weight seems to work. With the new weight, I may only be able to hold it for five or six seconds at the beginning, but I stick with it until I get to the ten second mark and then increase.

I like holds better than max lifts too.  But I prefer longer holds, 30 seconds, and usually up to a minute.  It may be overkill, but I really feel like I get the most done that way.

I've actually had better success with just max lifts only doing timed holds to warm up.  My pinch training has been sparse lately, but when I was making good gains and trainging consistently, I'd go for max lifts every workout, even if I could only break the weight off the ground a couple inches.  My timed holds aren't very good, but I've broke some decent weights off the ground.

Mr. Siversson, what kind of weights were you using in the two hands pinch before you could pinch two 35 pound plates?  Nice pic in MILO!  Congrats on the #3!

Guest Mikael Siversson

Strongmitts,

Thanks. I can't remember how much I did in the two hand pinch at the time I first pinched two 15 kg plates. On the 70 mm width set up we use for the Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge comps. I have done 83 kg two handed (82 in competition), 40.5 kg with my right hand and 36 kg with my left. Kalle Lane two hand pinched 85 kg on this equippment (compared to 100 on David Horne's). Before Kalle and Arne went to the Brittish comp. we all felt like absolute wips compared to the Brits. We feel better now knowing that we are using a set up that is considerably harder to pinch at a given weight.

How often do you guys do pinching? Do you do it on the same days as the rest of your grip training, or do you split up certain parts of your grip training so they fall on different days?

Currently I'm doing gripper/wrist work one of my days, pinching/opening on another. usually day1) gripper day 2) pinch day 3) gripper, day 4) deadlift no straps, day 5) off, day6/1) gripper again.

Any ideas welcomed. Thanks for the replys!