Adhesive Question

EricMilfeld

I have a 2" pipe already attached to a base and I would like to make a loading pin out of it. I'm wanting to try and use a 12" eye hook inserted into the pipe and held in place with some sort of adhesive. I'm going to add a large washer towards the base of the eye hook for additional strength. I've never tried this before, but surely there is some kind of glue that would work, while being inexpensive. I'm wondering about Liquid Nails or concrete crack repair compound or something along those lines that I can purchase at the local hardware store. Any ideas?

The best metal adhesive is called welding :D . But the best glue I have ever used is the epoxy that is used to hold those reflective highway markers into the highway. Years ago - some friends and I glued rocks onto an old railroad bridge made of sandstone - everything else we tried wouldn't hold - this stuff would pull off layers of stone but never let loose once.

Weld it Eric :D

What I did on mine was to use couplers to connect the eyebolt to a bolt to make a longer loading pin. I then just used a nut to hold on the washer.

I posted this before but I made some spare loading pins from PVC pipe, rated eyebolts, and hardened washers. I used Rust-Oleum's plastic paint on the pins. I found that it is easy to clean, resists chips, and stays slick (and looks better than the plain old white PVC pipe!). I found it nice to have a group of loading pins sitting around:

http://homepage.mac.com/biggerfoot/.Pictures/loadingpin.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/biggerfoot/.Pictures/loadingpin4.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/biggerfoot/.Pictures/loadingpin2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/biggerfoot/.Pictures/loadingpin3.jpg

I also made a couple of loading pins from one inch hardened screws.

They are very simple to make...just drilled and tapped a hole for the eyebolt:

http://homepage.mac.com/biggerfoot/.Pictur...wloadingpin.jpg

My suggestion would also be to weld it. However if you can't get that done you could try JB Weld. It is a two part epoxy which is very hard when it sets up. It takes about 24 hours to set up and the claims on the pakage say it can be machined. Another option is Devcon 5 minute epoxy. It is not as hard when it sets up but it will hold up to nearly anything. As the name states it sets up in 5 minutes with full strength in about an hour. I have used both products for various applications and have confidence in either. I have not made weightlifting equipment with either of them though.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Mike

Thanks guys! I've made a loading pin out of an eyebolt, 2"PVC, and a wooden base before, but since the only thing missing in this case is the loop at the top, I figured I try something different, as I don't have any welding equipment and would probably burn down my house if I did.

Mike, where's the most probable place to find the JB Weld and the Devcon? Thanks!

Chris, do you know where I might be able to score the highway reflector stuff?

Thanks guys! I've made a loading pin out of an eyebolt, 2"PVC, and a wooden base before, but since the only thing missing in this case is the loop at the top, I figured I try something different, as I don't have any welding equipment and would probably burn down my house if I did.

Mike, where's the most probable place to find the JB Weld and the Devcon? Thanks!

Walmart or a hardware store would have both and they should be on the same aisle by all of the glue. I am pretty sure you could buy them both for less than $10 total. I am not sure which is the cheapest though.

Let us know how it turns out.

Walmart or a hardware store would have both and they should be on the same aisle by all of the glue. I am pretty sure you could buy them both for less than $10 total. I am not sure which is the cheapest though.

Let us know how it turns out.

If it only costs ten dollars or so then it will be well worth it. I was concerned the cost might get high having to fill up a 2" by 14" tube with glue. I'll let ya'll know how it works. If it holds 200 pounds I will call it successful, but I would like it to hold at least 400.

The JB Weld that I've seen comes in two 1oz. tubes that you mix together. I dont know if its available in larger sizes. If you don't want to fill the entire pipe up it might be possible to plug it partway down. I've never tried it though.

Edited by JS27

To fill the whole tube might get a little pricey. I was thinking you would just plug one end like js27 said. If you need to fill the whole thing maybe actual concrete would work. You could get a bag of that pretty cheap.

You can get it welded (and done right) for less hassle than this involves.

Chris, are my glue antics annoying you? :laugh

Tonight I came home, cut the head of a bent 100D, and wedged it down in the pipe. Tomorrow I hope to find somebody with welding equipment and a helping hand.

God I am temped to drive to Texas to burn that in :D . If a lot of glue is in the Future the cheapest and best would have to be liquid nail but it has to be done a little at a time or it will not harden. 2 part epoxy is best but not cost effective.

Welding is easy if you had a welder and some practice. :blush

A muffler shop will burn it in for a few bucks if your nice. quality welds may very.

good luck

Chris, are my glue antics annoying you? :laugh

Tonight I came home, cut the head of a bent 100D, and wedged it down in the pipe. Tomorrow I hope to find somebody with welding equipment and a helping hand.

Eric - when i started making lifting equipment several years ago - I tried about everything - (pieces of pipe and couplings, wood, glue, bolts, nails you name it) - things broke on occasion - and some things simply weren't safe to workout with. We sometimes have 3 or 400# or more on a loading pin (I've had over 600# on my Leverage Squat set up loading pin) - if you are pulling that hard and something lets loose - bad things could happen to you - my conclusion was that it simply isn't worth the few dollars that a welder would charge to do it right. I found a guy who welds for me relatively cheaply - and nothing has ever broken since then - I like that - and I like knowing it is safe to load as heavy as I choose without worry. Plus I have made a complete gym full of equipment for myself and continue to add to it all the time at a tremendous savings over buying it all. Most welders will charge by the hour or the job but often have a minimum - if you cut - grind - and fit everything before you take it to him - it's pretty amazing how much a good welder can do in one hour. I really need to update my site but some of you may not have seen it -

http://www.stylesdevelops.com/climber511/default.htm

I hear ya!

Well, I took it to work today and gave it to my mechanic, who was owed a favor by a guy next door with all the welding equipment, and now it's done... free of charge. :)

Chris- It's been a while since I've looked at your site. I forgot how great it is. The reverse hyper is still working great, I will always appreciate your help with that.

-Erik

• 3 weeks later...

Climber511; I checked the link to your home-made gym equipment. Amazing work, you give me serious inspiration. I am already pricing steel for a power rack.