1. 1. Feats of grip strength

• Closing a #3 gripper
    • Lifting 250 + pounds on the Rolling Thunder
    • Pinch lifting 2x45 Olympic plates onehanded
    • Plate curling a 45 pound Olympic plate one hand
    • A full deadlift of 172 lbs. or more on an Inch stlye handle
    • Bending and breaking a 60D 6'' nail
    • Hub lifting a 45 pound Olympic plate
    • Deadlift 500 pounds 2'' bar knuckles forward both hands.
    • Reverse curl 2'' bar 150 lbs.
    • Cleaning a York 50 lb. Blob.

Reverse curl 150 lbs on 2" bar, because there are

very few who can reverse curl 150 lbs in good

style on a standard diameter bar. The 2" bar takes

it out of the ballpark.

True. I liked the feel of a 2'' bar the few times in the past I have tried one. I train at home and do not own such a bar. I might rig one up and see what I can do. My guess is around 400. I do not like the pain of using a hook grip. 2'' feels secure with a regular grip having large hands. Lack of knurling might be a hindrance on a homemade setup.

All that'll mean is that you'll be good for another 10-15% if you compete and they have a knurled bar. Sometimes I make it tougher on myself when training than it'll be in a comp. It gives you an edge.

Pinching 2x45 plates - most impressive in my opinion becuase it can be done in any gym (45lb plates are everywhere) and even those who are not familiar with grip specific trainning can appreciate this lift unlike breaking a nail, closing a gripper or lifting objects with large handles which many would not have enough contact with on an everyday basis to understand the difficulty of these feats. Anyone who tries to pinch a pair of 45's will immedatly understand the difficulty involved in such a lift.

Oldguy, I would think pinching 2- 45's would be the easiest feat on the list by far.  My brother and I have been seriously training grip for almost a year now and he is already pinching the 2 45's for about 5 seconds, picking it up off the floor.  I'm pinching 2 35's for about 5 seconds and I can't imagine not being able to work up to the 45's in the next year or two.  Maybe we are just both natural pinchers, but in comparison to the other feats you listed, neither of us are anywhere close to reaching any of them besides the pinch.  We both can get our new, unseasoned #3 barely past paralell!  My vote is for the 500# DL on a 2" or the 150# reverse curl on a 2".

Chris James' hand is 8" long and 4.25" wide- a large

hand but not nearly large enough to account for the

monster thick bar lifts he is doing.

As has been pointed out, if everyone uses a bar whose

circumference is exactly the same as his hand length, (in

Chris's case 8"), then the test is fair.

So Chris would be using a bar diameter of 2.54. Well, he was

using 2.50 in some cases.

I would be using 2.38" diameter.

He's still got me by a couple of pounds.

• 1 month later...

Coin bending/breaking.  With oven mittens on.  Behind your back.  In the dark.  Standing on one leg.  After a few shots of hard liquor.

I think Dennis Rogers can do this very feat!   :p  :hehe

Nope.  Already has been done.  And it hurt like... well, you know!  :(

Actually on a serious note it would be pretty impressive to see someone pull teeth out just with their fingers as Brookfield described it in MoHS.  Anyone do that kind of training with wood or metal pegs hammered into a piece of wood??  I've thought about it at times but have never tried it.

Jon@han

• 2 months later...

Bending a 60 penny nail is truely a classsic strongman feat.

The size of your hands don't really effect bending, unlike blobs, thick handles, etc....

-HH

I like viewing or reading about anything that is done with a casualness about it.

OR reading about someone who out of Knowhere comes along and does an amazing feat.(grip or otherwise)

When a lift is done unexpectedly or with ease and/or both.

Anything that just makes your jaw drop and shake your head....

The reports of Mark Henry lifting the 172 an placeing it on the table with such ease....and of course his clean and press of same INCH replica.

The report(from a friend who was there)of Pfister who continentaled the 172 INCH and talked to the crowd and then pressed it(the task apparently was to see who could pull it the highest?for $1000)

His other grip related feat..as otheres bowed out a 40 seconds or less on the Hercules hold he starts into his 'speech'and then drops the handles at about 55 seconds as if bored....

Seeing MikE Dean aguy who hardly works out- hand over hand a 6.5ton forklift 60 ft.with a 2 inch rope....while 13 others in a Pro strongman contest-that did train seriously-failed to do it.

Anything that breaks the mold.Suprises the status quo.Overturns the applecart.Sets a new-and unexpected-level of strength.

Does NOT matter who it is.Friend or foe.....just something that is off the wall!

clarification..before Roark does it for me (was also there?)..Pfister push pressed the INCH replica- I believe.....

also what was-reportedly-cool about that decision by Pfister to do that continental/push press actually took him out of the Money?for the highest pull of the INCH......but again..reportedly..Jim Lorimier agreed to pay pfister a $1000 anyway?for the good show...?again this is what i was told about the money...?

Phil touched the Inch with a finger from his non-lifting

hand, to correct a balance problem. David Webster told

him the lift was over at that point, but Phil continued for

personal satisfaction, and, as I recall, word came that

Arnold was so impressed that he would see that Phil also

got $1,000.

Henry won with his high pull to about his chest (this was

before he could clean an Inch), but Phil added the drama

and determination, and the crowd went nuts!

Yes, I was there. :bow

They's be silly to not invite Phil this year?As he also got 3rd place in the overall strength contest....

Of course it's probably only Phil and Mark that can walk,up a slight incline? with that bigger near 900lb farmers walK....??