My training program

ruffhans

i have been asking alot of(?)s on this site,but have not been puting much on about myself. so, here is my training program and a little bit about me. please feel free to give advise on my program, perhaps you could piont me to a beeter one. my ral name is dave, and i was just married to my awesome wife on june 1st. i was living in california, and now am in new york, ( out in the country), i started my grip training while in cali. after ordering my CoC grippers ( T #1 #2) and brookfields book on hand strength i began a weekly grip training pragram. i am now 2/4s inch from the #3 and am looking forword to closing it soon. my current routine is this- for wrist, lever lifts with a 10lb sledge hammer. i took a wood burner and marked sections on the handle of the sledge hammer. i have a total of 6 markings to serve as progresive marks. the #1 mark being at the very end of the handle where it would be the hardest to lever. i have also been throwing in some stool work. if you remember this is one of brookfeilds tips from iron mind. i take a stool and put a 5lb plate on the top and clear it from the ground to the ceiling. it dont sound like much, but, will give an awesome wrist workout. i have been pinching cinder blocks for pinch work. this has given me pretty good thumb strength. at wallmart i bought a 40lb fixed dumbell, went home and hacksawed the handle off. this gives a kind of beginer type blob for pinching. then i have my COC gripers!!                         all my sets are pretty much in the 4-5 range. while reps are low. it has been working great! my only problem is i want to do everything :p  my wife is totaly supportive! and is always asking me (?)s about this site, grip training and things of that sort. when i can close the #3 she is going to take me to dinner! :D  she makes my grip training so much more worth it!

Dave,

You seem to have all the materials for a good grip routine.

Work on one thing for each day (just as a start).  One day, the grippers.  Next day, sledgehammer levering.  The day after that, blob lifts.  Get the picture?

I also notice you don't have any thick bar apparatus.  Get a thick bar (like the Apollon's Axle), and do some heavy lifts; this will help a lot in your grip training.  You could also get the Rolling Thunder and some other IronMind goodies depending on your budget.  Dang, if I was a millionaire, I'd own everything in that catalog!!  But I'm not, so I settle for a piece or two, and order more when I can get the chance.

What are your goals; to someday close the #3?  My advice:  get a grip machine to help you out.  The one at NYB is a good start - but you can go anywhere on the net and find grip machines.  Even Weightlifter's Warehouse has a few that you might want to check out.

One last thing:  you need a grip "mentor".  It just so happens that the great and mighty Sybersnott is available!!  Now, how lucky can you be?!?  :D

Seriously.... you can come here and ask us questions about your training/progress.  That's what we are here for.  :)

Here are some links to help ya out!

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9165.htm

http://www.weightlifterswarehouse.com

http://www.ironmind.com

Thats the cool part about grip-there are millions of different ways to train it! :D

Your routine works fine-just keep in mind that if you plan to work your entire grip-pinching, supporting, crushing, and wrist strength-all at once, it is, of course, going to take you longer to improve.

It is kinda like those powerlifters that choose to just bench press.  They can handle weights in the 700s, then once they decided to do all three events again, they often loose 100 or more pounds on their bench.

If your goal is complete grip-your on the right track!

Good luck-arent supportive wives awesome!

Rick Walker :hehe

its funny you mention the idea of splitting up the training! cuz, this last week i tried just that. writs on monday,forearms on tuesday,and grippers on wed. wow i got so much more out of my training! i thought that doing the sledge hammer levers would take away from my gripper day, ( due to the fact that it works your grip), but it didnt seem to. :)  perhaps you could give me a weekly routine to do for a month or so, that would be cool! ;)  last night after a warm up i had my #3 a hair from bien 1/4 inch from closed! anymore advice would help! thanks guys

Another idea which one of my readers come up with usin a wrist roller is a Rolling Pin. Thats what we call them, you use them for flattening out pastry.

Anyway take one and get yourself some tough cord and drill a hole just big enough to take the cord and use it as a normal wrsit roller. It'll be good to about 40 pounds and then a steel tube will be ok for a 100 pounds.

I agree with Sybersnott re taking differing days for grip training. Wannagrip and a few others have a program which involves deliberate but calculated over training and then resting, recovary and then seeing the strength level go up. I'm not sure what the long term effect would be if you were to keep it up but certainly for short bursts it seems to work.

David Horne would suggest no more than 16 weeks on a programme and training all the aspects of grip.

Hope this helps.

You'll figure that one out on your own.  Keep training, eating and resting hard and you'll figure out the routines that work for you.  Just incorperate some of the routines from the board, books (Mastery of Hand Strength), etc and you'll figure out what works for you.

I find that starting with my weakest link (or the thing I most want to improve) is best for me.  Since I want to improve my crushing the most I always start my routine with a crushing movement.  I either use my grippers (strap holds), the secret weapon, or my atlas for 5-6 sets.

I then move to pinching-followed by thick bar, and finshing with some wrist/forearm work.  

I was training every day with a day off-I have found this to leave me with some major pain and not much in the way of improvement.  I have since moved to three days a week and I have again started making steady improvement.  

For the past 3 weeks, I have made a 1 pound increase in my strap holds with my filed down #2 almost every day I do them.

As far as pinching,thick bar, and wrist work goes-I only do 3 sets.

Anyway you prefer.  I used a grinder for the big stuff then touched it up with a file-

again, that is up to you-I took enough off so my fingers are a hair away from touching my hand-