Just Geting Into Grippers...finally!

Tim71

Okay everybody, I'm known as a steel bender who doesn't do any other grip work. I've owned a COC trainer and #1 for a year or so now and they've pretty well set for most of their life but that's about to change some. BTW, I could close my #1 from square one and haven't done much else with it or the trainer only to occasionally use them to warm up with.

For this Christmas, I ordered a 1.5, 2 and 3 for my presents from parents and mother in law.

I've opened the #2 and #3 tonight and on my first attempt I came really close to the #2 and on my second attempt I'm 99 % sure I closed it. I know nothing about technique, all I know is I used my left hand to pull it closed to about 1.5 to 2 inches then I closed it from there. Got excited and overdid it after that and got tired but I think I can get consistant with it pretty quick. As for the #3? You guys are monsters who close that thing. I check crushed it just to see how hard it felt and WOW! I'll get it in time if I stick with it but man it feels like a beast right now.

Question, I've been researching when I bought these grippers and why has nobody compiled all the gripper information into one convenient chart? I mean like Eric's calibration thread for steel? Show the wire sizes of all the gripper and these rankings that you guys do like 4.1 and such? I'd love to see that and maybe I'm just not finding it.

I'll see how I fair with the 1.5 tomorrow but I suspect I can close it unless I've just had way too much fun today with that new #2.

I have a huge respect for you guys closing these elite level grippers.

Tim

Tim--

Try "Gripper Rankings Update" in the pinned topics under this current heading. There are just short of four gazillion grippers discussed there, and allowing for WIDE variations in some brands of grippers, the rankings are very close to what I've judged in my collection.

Have a good holiday.

Chris

Okay everybody, I'm known as a steel bender who doesn't do any other grip work. I've owned a COC trainer and #1 for a year or so now and they've pretty well set for most of their life but that's about to change some. BTW, I could close my #1 from square one and haven't done much else with it or the trainer only to occasionally use them to warm up with.

For this Christmas, I ordered a 1.5, 2 and 3 for my presents from parents and mother in law.

I've opened the #2 and #3 tonight and on my first attempt I came really close to the #2 and on my second attempt I'm 99 % sure I closed it. I know nothing about technique, all I know is I used my left hand to pull it closed to about 1.5 to 2 inches then I closed it from there. Got excited and overdid it after that and got tired but I think I can get consistant with it pretty quick. As for the #3? You guys are monsters who close that thing. I check crushed it just to see how hard it felt and WOW! I'll get it in time if I stick with it but man it feels like a beast right now.

Question, I've been researching when I bought these grippers and why has nobody compiled all the gripper information into one convenient chart? I mean like Eric's calibration thread for steel? Show the wire sizes of all the gripper and these rankings that you guys do like 4.1 and such? I'd love to see that and maybe I'm just not finding it.

I'll see how I fair with the 1.5 tomorrow but I suspect I can close it unless I've just had way too much fun today with that new #2.

I have a huge respect for you guys closing these elite level grippers.

Tim

Oh man I thought I posted this in the gripboard section! If a mod wants to move this I'd appreciate it.

Darn it.

Thanks for the input guys.

Tim

wow can anyone close those Beef Builders Grippers-ones past the coc #4

Short answer? No. ... Although Sybersnott's been pretty quiet (for him) lately.

wow can anyone close those Beef Builders Grippers-ones past the coc #4

Short answer? No. ... Although Sybersnott's been pretty quiet (for him) lately.

Haha I guess you didn't see the post in Equipment about Tetting grippers http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=25685, he's not being too quiet. Oh and to answer your question shizen, Twig is right, no one can close those although some people ahve come close on a narrow Pro and I've heard of #4 closers using a Pro for negs. And people can hardly even move Super Galaxy's with a chest crush, most barely budge it at all.

Oh and Tim, this is kind of off topic, but if you want to learn how to set a gripper properly watch John Eaton's instructional video

, that's how I learned. Edited by vikingsrule92

Oh and to answer your question shizen, Twig is right, no one can close those although some people ahve come close on a narrow Pro and I've heard of #4 closers using a Pro for negs. And people can hardly even move Super Galaxy's with a chest crush, most barely budge it at all.

What can "Super Dave" (Dave Morton) do with it? He's the freak when it comes to the big grippers!! :)

Oh and to answer your question shizen, Twig is right, no one can close those although some people ahve come close on a narrow Pro and I've heard of #4 closers using a Pro for negs. And people can hardly even move Super Galaxy's with a chest crush, most barely budge it at all.

What can "Super Dave" (Dave Morton) do with it? He's the freak when it comes to the big grippers!! :)

I don't know John, I've just heard a lot about #4 closers using a Pro for negs, I don't know what they can do with them exactly. But I wish I could see what Joe Kinney in his prime could've done with a pro, I think he could've done pretty decent.

Wes closed his narrow pro for definate, maybe even with a no set. Also i think teemu has come very close.

Welcome to grippers TimT, sounds like you've got a very good base for training if you came close to the #2 out the pack, enjoy you're new found hobby and one day that #3 you have will feel easy.

A narrow Pro sounds like it should be very closeable. An RB330N (which is a relatively easy gripper most are within the 3.3-3.5 range) uses a spring virtually identical to that of a #4 (same wire size i think) and the size of a pro's spring is not much above that of a #4.

Wes HAS no setted his Narrow Pro, which cals at a 4.06 if I remember right. Teemu and Kilkillen have both come within 1/8" or so with a MMS.

Update.

Just got my 1.5 today and I can close it with either hand consistantly.

So, here's my start into the grippers. I can close the 1.5 with either hand on all but the worst days and with starting with the handles probably 1.5 inches apart and on a good day I can close the #2 with my right hand but almost certainly not my left yet.

So I guess that's not a bad start seeings I've never touched any of the grip tools you guys talk about. Time to see where I can go from here.

I can see how this can be VERY addictive. Like I needed another addiction to go with my bending.

Merry Christmas!

Tim

Wes closed his narrow pro for definate, maybe even with a no set. Also i think teemu has come very close.

Welcome to grippers TimT, sounds like you've got a very good base for training if you came close to the #2 out the pack, enjoy you're new found hobby and one day that #3 you have will feel easy.

He is too close.. ;)

Update.

Just got my 1.5 today and I can close it with either hand consistantly.

So, here's my start into the grippers. I can close the 1.5 with either hand on all but the worst days and with starting with the handles probably 1.5 inches apart and on a good day I can close the #2 with my right hand but almost certainly not my left yet.

So I guess that's not a bad start seeings I've never touched any of the grip tools you guys talk about. Time to see where I can go from here.

I can see how this can be VERY addictive. Like I needed another addiction to go with my bending.

Merry Christmas!

Tim

Yep, that is a very good start! No one of my friends aren't closed my #2. Best close is #1.5, what is not bad start at all. Without any technique etc.

Yeah, grip stuff is so addictive. It could be nice if that passion could be shared with other things too..

Best luck with your training.

wow can anyone close those Beef Builders Grippers-ones past the coc #4 http://www.wwfitness.com/handgrippers.html here says the super galaxy is 870lbs! That seems impossible to close even with a chest crush.

Has anybody closed the Grand Elite(at 365 psi) using TNS?

No, if no one has even come close with a #4, they can't do it with a gripper of very similar strength.

wow can anyone close those Beef Builders Grippers-ones past the coc #4 http://www.wwfitness.com/handgrippers.html here says the super galaxy is 870lbs! That seems impossible to close even with a chest crush.

No, if no one has even come close with a #4, they can't do it with a gripper of very similar strength.

did Magnus close the #4 with a no set?

No, he did it with 3 fingers, not no set as far as I know. Joe Kinney might have been able to in his prime, after all he did hydraulically (sp?) close it from around a CCS.

No, he did it with 3 fingers, not no set as far as I know. Joe Kinney might have been able to in his prime, after all he did hydraulically (sp?) close it from around a CCS.

I've heard people no this board quote him from some milo magazine or something saying he can close a 4 'very easily' so I'm guessing he can no set it. I think any of the #4 closers can no set it, as you have to be pretty skilled with it before you try and get certified. Almost every single #3 closer I've seen on here can no set the 3, so I'm guessing same applies for the #4.

Koura's definitely right. Although I do think maybe .... just maybe Kinney could've no setted it. But no one else could've even come close. There's a GIANT difference between MMS and NS, every certified and otherwise #4 closer has closed it MMS. No one has even done a CCS close, so there's ABSOLUTELY no way anyone could NS it.

Yes one need to remember that a few years ago all you needed for a cert close was 1" between handles. In 2004 started with the CCS rule. That's the reason why there's not 30-40 guys every year certing anymore. Noone has certed with the new rules with a #4. And seeing how magnus does the 4, he has a very original style, also only using 3 fingers (But he has said that he feels stronger only using 3). He holds the spring with one hand and almost braces it to the side of his leg until its about 1" between then he closes it. Often very easily I'm sure he could do some damage to bigger grippers in this matter. But CCS no I don't think magnus could do it. Maybe if he trained for it