Horse-shoes

unequipped

There are special horseshoes for bendig?

I think, nobody can bend a original german horseshoe for real horses ??? :blink

maybe in the "us-wild-west" iron was very expensive, so the railroads where very weak. maybe the horseshoes too?

I have no idea. :blush

Edited by unequipped

Horseshoes used to be made of Iron, I don't know if that made them easier or harder but all the Horseshoes nowadays are made of steel. There aren't any "specially made" horseshoes for bending, that would defeat the purpose. People start out with St. Croix Ultralites, you can pick them up from a ferrier or from John at FBBC. There were guys who could bend the old Iron shoes though. I'm no iron history expert so perhaps some of them could chime in? I know Pawel r knows abit about this as well.

Check out John's site, it's in the top right corner between SORINEX and the Diesel Crew. He'd be happy to hook you up with some horseshoes :)

Horseshoes used to be made of Iron, I don't know if that made them easier or harder but all the Horseshoes nowadays are made of steel. There aren't any "specially made" horseshoes for bending, that would defeat the purpose. People start out with St. Croix Ultralites, you can pick them up from a ferrier or from John at FBBC. There were guys who could bend the old Iron shoes though. I'm no iron history expert so perhaps some of them could chime in? I know Pawel r knows abit about this as well.

Check out John's site, it's in the top right corner between SORINEX and the Diesel Crew. He'd be happy to hook you up with some horseshoes :)

My post was not very serious :D and I am not an expert.

I ask this, because I have an old horseshoe.

My post was not very serious :D and I am not an expert.

I ask this, because I have an old horseshoe.

Ah, Ok :D But just for fun order a shoe from John, give it a go and try that old German shoe you have and see how they compare :rock :rock :rock

... I will take my horseshoe with me to the next contest.

Maybe there is a bending-giant. he can try than.

I can only bend like a little girl

Happy Gripmas

Walter alias unequipped

• 2 weeks later...
I know Pawel r knows abit about this as well.

:ohmy

Edited by pawel r

in Polish they are old iron horseshoe 9.5 mm thick (few and far between happen find thin horseshoes)

new horseshoes also is 9.5 mm thick :(

John Brookfield in book " The Grip Master's Manual" wrote about old horseshoes: "...although they were larger they still bent much more easily..."

I think that Chris (cjsta :) ) Rider would bend old horseshoe

Edited by pawel r

correction

in Polish they are old iron horseshoe 9.5 mm thick (few and far between happen find thin horseshoes)

new horseshoes also is 9.5 mm thick :( more seldom 8mm

John Brookfield in book " The Grip Master's Manual" wrote about old horseshoes: "...although they were larger they still bent much more easily..."

I think that Chris (cjsta :) ) Rider would bend old horseshoe

surely iron horseshoe is more easily to bend http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/117994585..._623_210410.jpg

Edited by pawel r

... I will take my horseshoe with me to the next contest.

Maybe there is a bending-giant. he can try than.

in Germany is horseshoe bending-giant - it is Thorsten Moser :D

Edited by pawel r

I bend http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/117994585..._623_210410.jpg

and http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/119493015...7_623_65009.jpg

Iron horseshoe was more thick but bended so as thin steel horseshoe (from the same strength)

Edited by pawel r

As you can see from the very enlightening post below, there's a huge difference in the iron of old and the structual, or A36 HRS of today. The higher the carbon of today's steel, the tougher it is to bend and iron has no carbon, thus just making it iron. Yield strength is what measures the bending force, and in all occasions, that I've ever known of, the yield strength is noticably lower than the tensile strength. The yield of A36 is minimum of 36,000 and I think the tensile is between 50,000 and 60,000 but I don't remember it right now.

As you see below, some of these numbers for iron is way lower than anything available today. I know these are bars that we're talking about but the same should apply to shoes.

Not taking away from what these guys of old did because they bent what was the standard of the time and they did bend some incredibly thick stuff that maybe nobody today could bend but to compare apples to apples as some say, it would be very hard because of the different material.

I personally have had zero experience with iron bending so take this merely as an observation. If anybody knows of anybody still making iron bars, I'd love to try some to see the comparison.

I personally think Brookfield is right on the money.

Tim

Zass bent the 5/8ths started on the knee and then finished with a chest crush as witnessed

by Edward Aston in 1924, this was likened by David Willoughby as the equivalent of bending

a railroad spike. Said to be later duplicated by John Crossland Tolson.

Vansittart bent a wrought iron spike of 7" in length by 3/8ths diameter (Not Railroad)

The bars Greenstein used could also be bent by him with his teeth, the other end being secured,

this was said to be mild CRS 8-9" long.

Willoughby gives a rough guide to tensile strengths of the time? (Zass era?)

as cast iron = 15.000-30.000 pounds psi

malleable cast iron = 25.000 - 48.000 pounds psi

wrought iron = 42.000 - 52.000 pounds psi

From the book The Super Athletes i can't find mention of anyone bending actual Railroad spikes?

Handmade spikes http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/List.htm