A Couple New Things

Justin Reagan

I bent a red (not my new, harder ones, but still a red!), I've bent several of my extremely hard 70d's, and, last night (and the one I enjoyed the most), I snapped one of my easier 60d's. The snapping took about 15 minutes, and I did it mostly unbraced (a few times I pressed it against my leg, when bringing it out past 90 degrees)

Justin

Congratulations on snapping a 60d, Justin. I did my first the other night, after some coaching by Dan Praydis. From your description, I used pretty much the same technique you did, and it took me a little over 12 minutes. Like you, I was --- and still am --- extremely proud of this feat. I did this around 10:30pm Tuesday night, and I had a lot of trouble falling asleep after snapping the 60d.

This was such a tough, demanding exercise that it needs a nickname. I was thinking of the "Popeye" due to the massive forearm pump it leaves one with, or something along the lines of "Widowmaker", "Grim Reaper". Having broken my first 60d, I have such appreciation for what it takes to not only do this, but to do what I've heard Dan Praydis and Big Steve have done, snapping the Red.

Edited by Brad Manion

Nice job man!! :rock I have wondered about snapping a 60. I just might try it the next time I bend! Thanks for the inspiration!

Congrats on the red too!! :rock

Foxman,

After seeing the hurt you put on that Diamond Classic horseshoe, snapping a 60d won't be too bad for you. It's an endurance feat that's for sure, but if you can keep the nail moving, even if you have to slow down, you'll snap it. The only thing I wish I would've done earlier on in the feat is longer pulls when I'd go to straighten out the bent nail. If I had the ability to do that early on, I figure I could've cut my time down from the 12 minute mark to somewhere between 5 to 7 minutes.

Good luck,

Brad

I think I started making more progress when I started straightening the nail out occasionally, rather than moving it an inch or so every time. Funny thing was, I was just about to give up and try again another day (actually started pulling the leather off), when I noticed a small break forming in the nail. One more time straightening it out, and it broke.

Justin

Nice bending Justin! Did you do the Red DU?

Unfortunately not...I'm working on it...G8's are still kinda iffy with my DU (my best is about 30 degrees DU, so not a real DU bend)...

On the plus side (actually not that great, but I'm glad i've figured it out), I've found out that if I bend DU once every ten days or so, my wrists don't hurt. If I try to do DU 1-2 times a week (which I've been trying to do until recently), my wrists start hurting after a couple weeks, forcing me to take a long break from that style. Kinda hard to make progress that way! I'm actually just starting back from one such break (and starting back with 6" G5's :( )

At least during the breaks, I can fill in the space with DO and breaking stuff!

Later,

Justin

I now have something good to show people when, after me bending a 60d, they say "Now bend it back!". (Which, btw, is one of the most annoying things ever).

(As long as they don't gripe about me pressing it over my leg, I can straighten it out, with the exception of a small kink.)

Nice bending Justin I hate the now bend it back too!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan