Bouncing Negatives

big bri

I read once a while back about bouncing negatives. I'm not sure how well known they are so I will describe them. For instance I use an Elite, a gripper I can't close, and I use my other hand to close it and i do a negative but instead of holding it for 7 seconds or so I use my hand again to close it again and I repeat several times. If necessary I will post a video. Anyway, does anyone have any training experience with this? Is this safe? If so do they work better than heavy negatives where one holds for 7-10 seconds or so? Thanks all.

They work well for targeting the last little bit and in my opinion, they work better than just holding the gripper.

Anyway, does anyone have any training experience with this?

Yes. I think it works well for building strength over the last 1/8''. I have been doing them with my #3.5 with my RH lately.

Is this safe?

I think so. It is easy to tear your pinky with these though. A deep skin tear on the pinky is a real pain when trying to make gains on grippers.

If so do they work better than heavy negatives where one holds for 7-10 seconds or so? Thanks all.

Yes. With heavy negs you get good at say, holding a gripper at 1/8''. At one time i could hold a #3.5 at 1/8'' for 20-30secs but not close it fully because i was doing too many of these. Bounce forced negatives (BFNs are what i call them for convinience) really help you close the last bit.

For instance I use an Elite, a gripper I can't close, and I use my other hand to close it and i do a negative but instead of holding it for 7 seconds or so I use my hand again to close it again and I repeat several times.

That's nothing new... Kinney describes them as "assisted closes", I remember doing them on a semi-hard Elite that I ordered from Tetting when at that time I was on an upswing strength curve.

Anyway, does anyone have any training experience with this? Is this safe? If so do they work better than heavy negatives where one holds for 7-10 seconds or so?

Sure, just be sure to work both hands equally. It get your hands used to extreme pressure of the gripper. :happy