Gripmas Medley

Jedd Johnson

Hey guys check out the awesome Medley Chris Rice had at his Gripmas Carol contest.

Dave did a real good job and took care of business, winning the event in about 1:30.

Chris did an amazing job putting that medley together. I can't think of anything that wasn't tested on it!!! You can't see it all to well but that tiny V-Bar all the way to the left was "the Nail", it was around 1/4" or 5/16"ish thick and it hurt like hell to lift it.

Chris did an amazing job putting that medley together. I can't think of anything that wasn't tested on it!!! You can't see it all to well but that tiny V-Bar all the way to the left was "the Nail", it was around 1/4" or 5/16"ish thick and it hurt like hell to lift it.

It was a 3/8" spike.

It was a 3/8" spike.

Ah.

That was an incredible performance, Dave! :rock It looked very routine. :whacked

Jedd, Thanks for putting the vid. up.

Chris really outdid himself putting the medley together.

I think everyone enjoyed trying it.

I knew I had to take my time to be able to finish it, with 21 objects.

Man, I can't believe how easy Dave makes that look. It was really, really hard.

I'll echo both of those sentiments. The thin pinch, humbler, and hammer stuff stopped me in my tracks. The 50 lb. blob was one of the hardest I've tried (unless the other stuff simply had worn me out first).

Edited by odin

Great medley and awesome performance by Dave!

Dave really nailed it. I had more fun with this medley than any grip event I've ever done in a contest. I hope this trend catches on, the medley as an event has potential for endless creativity and fun!

That was awesome Great job Dave and great medley Chris it looked fun!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

My goal when I started was to have only one person make it all the way through the medley but still have it possible - especially if fresh. As it turned out, Dave and Jedd got them all and the time difference was very very small. I'm sure I could have stopped them both but with what that would have been remotely reasonable? This is just going from memory but one person missed one, 1 or 2 people missed 2, and 3 or 4 missed 3 items maybe. I tried to find any weakness people might have and it seemed to work out. For me - as a promoter - that was the event I enjoyed the most - listening to all the comments from everyone. The Humbler :rock

I just want to say that this is by far the coolest looking medley I've seen. I love the idea of having a huge variety of items testing all areas of grip/wrist strength. ;)

Chris, is there any way you could list the items in the medley? I tried to follow along in the video but not being a seasoned gripster and never having competed I can't figure out what some of them are. Thanks

I just want to say that this is by far the coolest looking medley I've seen. I love the idea of having a huge variety of items testing all areas of grip/wrist strength. ;)

Chris, is there any way you could list the items in the medley? I tried to follow along in the video but not being a seasoned gripster and never having competed I can't figure out what some of them are. Thanks

"The Humbler", a PVC tube with 5-10lbs attached that you must lift with the extensors

"The Nail" a 3/8" Vbar with what looks like 120lbs on it(PAINFUL)

79lb block

Thin pinch

Key pinch

One finger Ring lift

Bomb lift(Chris' rules were "palm on top" so it was harder than FBBC rules for some of us)

Supination hammer

Pronation Hammer

29lb Double hammer

2 red blobs(I'd say the big one was 30-40ishlbs)

137lb 2" Inch loadable

55lb anvil

77lb 3" loadable

Chris' monster scale weights

3 25's with bar

Blob

40 blob

#2 Strap hold

#1 Strap hold

MONSTER Medley! Great job, Dave...that was a sick performance.

"The Humbler", a PVC tube with 5-10lbs attached that you must lift with the extensors - 10# plus the pin

"The Nail" a 3/8" Vbar with what looks like 120lbs on it(PAINFUL) - 150#

79lb block

Thin pinch - 50#

Key pinch - 47#

One finger Ring lift - 94#

Bomb lift(Chris' rules were "palm on top" so it was harder than FBBC rules for some of us) - I think 60#?

Supination hammer - 10# on an 18" handle

Pronation Hammer - 6.25# on a 24" handle

29lb Double hammer

2 red blobs(I'd say the big one was 30-40ishlbs) - these are my HG weights - 28# and 42#

137lb 2" Inch loadable

55lb anvil

77lb 3" loadable

Chris' monster scale weights - a little harder than most scale weights

3 25's with bar - standard, not Olympic plates

Blob - 52 1/2# old style York like Sorins

40 blob

#2 Strap hold

#1 Strap hold

I added some more info for you guys.

Thanks for the listing and extra info Malachi & Chris. Most of them I recognize now even if I have never tried them. Others really helped me see a broader picture of grip feats.

"The Humbler" - it's a little hard to see but it looks like he's sticking his hand inside the tube (much like a small-handed person would go after chips in a "Pringles" can) then just extending the fingers and trying to lift the weight attached. What is the tube diameter? I'd imagine guys with bigger hands might have a little advantage on this one. Looks like a simple (and cheap) training tool for the extensors. I may have to make one for myself.

The thin/key pinches - I've never even heard of anyone training/competing on something that narrow. Something else I must try in the near future. I bet a lot of the contestants were surprised by those.

It may be a few years but I hope to someday make a trip back to the USA and squeeze (pun intended) in a contest. I think Gripmas would be my first choice at the moment. Sounds like Chris did a heck of a job organizing it and all the guys who attended had a great time. Good job Chris!