How far have you gone?

Guest mg6680

My girlfriend believes there is something wrong with me, but lately everywhere I go I seem to think about making some sort of tool for training my grip now.  I recently went into Home Depot and bought a few feet of 4" pvc pipe and chain and made my own RT (not much weight on that one - for me anyhow).  The more I think about it, the above is probably a regular training device for some of you.  How far do you go?

I'm not real talented when it comes to making my own equipment.  Some guys can make their own (Joe Kinney comes to mind), and other guys like me decide to go ahead and buy it.

You and your imagination/budget are the only things holding you back.  Like I said, some equipment I bought, and some I made for myself.  I remember a post that I had written about getting some FedEx boxes, and making a cheap pinch grip tool with.  I made mine and still use them today.

I think that making your own thick bars may be the most common equipment that you could make yourself.  If you look around the internet, you might find stuff that is not only cheap, but it would be much better than what you could make yourself.

Good thread, mg.  Continue your trips to Home Depot, but drop your girlfriend off at the mall or something.  Women just don't understand us grip dudes.   :p  :hehe  :p

I posted hoping to get some of you home inventors to post some of your crazy ideas.  The bug has bitten me though.  I went to the local quarry today and picked up a couple of nasty rocks to pinch.  Just playing with them at the yard tore my hands up.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a loading pin using a 12" length of 1/2" galvanized pipe, a 1/2" floor flange, and some thin steel cable.  $3.

I've made a one handed deadlift handle with a 4" long piece of 2" galvanized pipe, some steel cable, and a carabiner.  $4.

I've made thick handled dumbbells by slipping 6" long pieces of 2" galvanized pipe over my normal sized dumbbells.  Yes, they rotate and jiggle around when I do dumbbell clean and presses.  Makes it harder.

I've made a great "pinch grip deadlift" tool by taking a 4' 2x4, screwing in a screw eye in the center of the board, and attaching the board to the loading pin.  Pinch grip it with both hands, and do partial deadlifts to lockout.  $6.  

I figure when I can lift a couple hundred pounds on the dumbbells, at least 150 on the pinch grip, and a few hundred on the one handed deadlift, I will pay more money for real gear, but until then, I train with cheap stuff.  It's motivation.  Plus I have more money for food.

I figure that as long as I can lift more this week than I could last week, I must be doing something right.

I like big rocks, too.  I go to the local landscape supply place and heft the big ones around.

--Raph