Kettlebell Question

GarytheDino

Is this considered a grip exercise? What is a good number?

Not sure if this should be in off topic or not.

Very much so! but it depends on how heavy your kettlebells are, as it may seem quite easy with a lighter kettlebell. If you had say a 32kg (or more) kettlebell then you might find it hard to do a high number of reps as it is quite a tough exercise.

the turkish get up (bottom up variation) is a very challenging exercise!

Very much so! but it depends on how heavy your kettlebells are, as it may seem quite easy with a lighter kettlebell. If you had say a 32kg (or more) kettlebell then you might find it hard to do a high number of reps as it is quite a tough exercise.

the turkish get up (bottom up variation) is a very challenging exercise!

Yo, dimmers,

what part of the Yew Kaye are you in? :rock

I just got a 24 kilo this week and attached another 20 pounds to the bottom which gave me 33 kilos. I got 1 rep. It's a fun exercise but I have to get a bigger kettlebell. Seems like it work work stabilizers hard also.

I like to do alot of flips and tosses too, it's good cardio.

Edited by GarytheDino

Just to share a few grip ideas that I have come across with kbs:

Bottom up clean and press w/ a new clean in between each rep

Swinging two different size kbs in one hand to chest height

Finger curls using a kb, from a seated position. Kb is just inches off the floor, range of motion is short, and mimics shutting a gripper.

There are at least three variations to consider in the bottom up press position:

-in the standard bottom up press, the handle is in a "U" position with the pressing hand on the bottom

-another involves the handle in a "C" position, with the pinky of the pressing hand closest to the kettlebell body

-yet another involves flipping the "C" around, so that the thumb of the pressing hand is closest to the kettlebell body

I'm buying two kettelbells this week at Dicks Sporting Goods and cannot decide what size is best.

I want one for reps and one for high weight.

Is there a formula or reasoning behind deciding what size is appropriate?

Or should I just pick them up and try them out?

I'm buying two kettelbells this week at Dicks Sporting Goods and cannot decide what size is best.

I want one for reps and one for high weight.

Is there a formula or reasoning behind deciding what size is appropriate?

Or should I just pick them up and try them out?

if they let you try them out then go for it, but if they don't then i'd say a kettlebell for reps/cardio would be in the same range as a dumbell that you use for bicep curls (8-10 rep range). Then another 4-6kg for a bell to use for high weight.

(only my opinion mind)

Whatever you buy now, bear in mind that as you climb the technique curve, and practice more over the weeks to come they will feel lighter. Selecting one for cardio, and one for "grinds" is a good move. If the cardio bell chosen becomes "lighter" feeling, simply amp up the reps a bit and compress your rest pds. At this point, you could also use swings or snatches as part of a puker circuit involving bodyweight only, sandbags, or whatever else - making it feel much heavier. On the bell chosen for grinds, you can also make it seem heavier by doing bottom up variations, palm presses, etc., or mix the cardio and grind in the same workout, which of course will have them both feeling "heavier" real quick.

Whatever you buy now, bear in mind that as you climb the technique curve, and practice more over the weeks to come they will feel lighter. Selecting one for cardio, and one for "grinds" is a good move. If the cardio bell chosen becomes "lighter" feeling, simply amp up the reps a bit and compress your rest pds. At this point, you could also use swings or snatches as part of a puker circuit involving bodyweight only, sandbags, or whatever else - making it feel much heavier. On the bell chosen for grinds, you can also make it seem heavier by doing bottom up variations, palm presses, etc., or mix the cardio and grind in the same workout, which of course will have them both feeling "heavier" real quick.

great reply!

i find that now i'm getting better with my kettlebell, i can just increase the reps or time spent working out with it. As bentpresser has said, mixing in other exercises is a great idea too! I think kettlebell swings followed by some burpee's then some pullups for a mini circuit is a great way to bring on that 'puke' factor you get when exercising real hard :D:rock