My First Try At Braced Stock

vikingsrule92

Tim T, ok I'll keep doing this and maybe one of these days I can get an angle grinder or something and use that. Actually I've seen some 42" for $90, you were REALLY lucky to find some for $10, man I wish IO could've found some like that my 36" cost $50.

Other Tim, how fast will an angle grinder go through thick steel? Ok I'll consider some of that stuff. For now I'm happy with my bolt cutters but we'll see. What kind of HRS did you have? Sounds cool man can't wait to see it.

Pete and Gazza, thanks

• 16 years later...

After cutting stock with bolt cutters, do you need to finish the ends with a grinding wheel or is it safe to just start bending?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, TeamGupta said:

After cutting stock with bolt cutters, do you need to finish the ends with a grinding wheel or is it safe to just start bending?

You don't have to, but I highly recommend doing so otherwise you will need new wraps pretty soon. Depending on the wrap thickness, it can be even dangerous because well... if you used bolt cutters you see how the ends look like. 

But you don't need to use a grinding wheel. A metal hand file will do just fine. Keep the file fixed in one hand, and move the bar (not the file), it will be much quicker. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, matek said:

You don't have to, but I highly recommend doing so otherwise you will need new wraps pretty soon. Depending on the wrap thickness, it can be even dangerous because well... if you used bolt cutters you see how the ends look like. 

But you don't need to use a grinding wheel. A metal hand file will do just fine. Keep the file fixed in one hand, and move the bar (not the file), it will be much quicker. 

Thank you.  That makes sense.  I have metal files at home and will grab some 24" bolt cutters from Harbor Freight.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TeamGupta said:

Thank you.  That makes sense.  I have metal files at home and will grab some 24" bolt cutters from Harbor Freight.

Yes please do, I’ve never got cut on sharp steel bending but at work I have a few times. I can’t even begin to imagine how bad it could be bending with sharp stock

• Like 2