My First Try At Braced Stock

vikingsrule92

So before this I had only ever had a shot at some spikes but recently I bought some 3/8", 3/8" Square, and 1/2" HRS and I first tried it today. I went after a 12" piece of 3/8" and it went down in about 30 secs http://youtube.com/watch?v=wgW--2PSBwo then I tried a 8" piece and failed miserably. Then I took down a 10" piece http://youtube.com/watch?v=4D2akMrVzCM and after that tried a 1/2" x 18" and got stuck at 50 degrees http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=pos...w_post&f=18. After that it was too big and too awkward to move any further. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Am I just not strong enough or is my form not very good? Based on these bends what do you think I'm capable of in 3/8" Square? I don't want to cut a piece and have it be WAY too easy or WAY too hard. Thanks in advance for any comments. And if you listen to the 1/2", I have a new found respect for Tim :D hahaha

P.S. Also if you notice my sig, I pulled the 45 lb blob for the first time today!!! I was so ecstatic when it happened, I've been working toward it for a pretty long time. Hopefully I'll get a vid next time.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Awesome job on those Derek,Great work man. :rock

Nice job man!! Don't feel bad, I got my piece of 19''x 1/2'' HRS stuck too!! About the same spot too. LOL :D Definitely much respect for Tim T!! :rock I think he has done like a 9'' piece!!! Good job on the bends though, nice.

Great job Derek!!! :rock

Thanks a lot guys!!

Foxman I think it was 9.5" but yeah, MONSTROUS!!

Correct. It was 9.5 inches. I've tried 8 inches on two occasions and got close but I've never tried 9 inches. But thanks for that extra 1/2 inch Foxman :D !

Vikingsrule,

Great job on the 10 inch by 3/8 inch. Based on that I'd say maybe 14 inches on the 3/8 square. It's very similiar in difficulty to the hard-to-find 7/16 HRS.

As for the 1/2 inch attempt, that's a really tough piece of steel to start with. 24 inches is a good typical length to start with for somebody who's pretty strong. I don't know if it's really building strength in specific areas more or just refining the technique and getting the "groove" more. Probably both. The pieces that are around 18 inches are kinda awkward. Really stretches you out getting the crush but you get it eventually. Not long enough though to use the long bar techniques.

Great job. It's really fun stuff to add into the mix.

Later,

Tim

Congrats on the 45 thats awesome that you got it, good accomplishement!!!

Nice bends :rock

Awesome Derek :rock:rock You are quite a strong young Man!!!!!

Nice Job Derek fun stuff!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

That is damn impressive. I am always surprised by how strong you are compared to how you look. Not to be offensive I mean. You look waaay skinny for how freakin strong you are man. You must really freak people out.

That 16-20" area is awkward as hell. The only thing I can add is that it helps to try and move it as much as you can to get in a better position for the crush. I usually try and row it a bit more but crush my inside hand with my other leg to bring the outside leg (of the bar) more to parallel so that I can row it around my knee more. It's awkward to explain in words I'll try and get a picture of it sometime.

As for the 3/8" square I found this to be surprisingly difficult. I'm not sure what stock you have. True a36 hrs should be much easier but simply based on the crs like steelworks stuff I have I would be very impressed if you were able to crush it a 14". I would say maybe 16" but if you don't have much of it then cut 14" and do isos if you can't get it right away and it will go eventually.

Not to contradict Tim T, he is the godfather of spikes here, but I just did this the other day and it's probably akin to looking back on the difference between a blue nail and a 60d unbraced to him. I think the fat bastard spike at 12" was easier than the hrs square at 14", and I still haven't been able to crush the 7/16" at 14".

Awesome start though, you are allot better than me when I first tried this stuff, so you will be able to do some crazy stuff if you keep up with it. Then again I still haven't got a bastard so you are already a stronger unbraced bender than me so it makes sense.

Thanks a lot everyone I appreciate it. Hopefully eventually I can get into the REAL big stuff and get up ther with you humongous braced benders.

David, haha yeah I was studying for a test at the same time and wan't paying attention. Thanks for posting the real link and for the respect :D

Tim, thanks for your comments and advice. I suppose I'll try a 24" or something like that next time. And I'll see how I do on the 3/8" Square and post a video. I'll try a 14" since you're the expert haha. And yeah, definitely a good stretch on that crush. My right outer pec (the part connecting the pec and the delt, can't think of the name) is VERY sore today from the hits on that. How do you suggest doing the crush in the position it was in? Thighmaster or Archer? Which hip do you post on for the archer technique?

Very nice bends man! The 1/2" HRS has become one of my favorites as well. 18" is a heck of a bend for a first try. Where did you get your 3/8" Square HRS? I've been looking everywhere for some of that.

That is damn impressive. I am always surprised by how strong you are compared to how you look. Not to be offensive I mean. You look waaay skinny for how freakin strong you are man. You must really freak people out.

That 16-20" area is awkward as hell. The only thing I can add is that it helps to try and move it as much as you can to get in a better position for the crush. I usually try and row it a bit more but crush my inside hand with my other leg to bring the outside leg (of the bar) more to parallel so that I can row it around my knee more. It's awkward to explain in words I'll try and get a picture of it sometime.

As for the 3/8" square I found this to be surprisingly difficult. I'm not sure what stock you have. True a36 hrs should be much easier but simply based on the crs like steelworks stuff I have I would be very impressed if you were able to crush it a 14". I would say maybe 16" but if you don't have much of it then cut 14" and do isos if you can't get it right away and it will go eventually.

Not to contradict Tim T, he is the godfather of spikes here, but I just did this the other day and it's probably akin to looking back on the difference between a blue nail and a 60d unbraced to him. I think the fat bastard spike at 12" was easier than the hrs square at 14", and I still haven't been able to crush the 7/16" at 14".

Awesome start though, you are allot better than me when I first tried this stuff, so you will be able to do some crazy stuff if you keep up with it. Then again I still haven't got a bastard so you are already a stronger unbraced bender than me so it makes sense.

Other Tim :D, thanks man I take it as a compliment not an insult. I'm definitely not very big but hey, you don't have to be, look at Tim T.

Ok I'll try to row it more, it just seemed like it was too far to row more but too far to crush as well. Very awkward indeed. If you could get a pic that's help but don't worry if you can't.

Ok I don't know we'll see how strong I'm feeling on Sunday (next bending day) and I'll decide how much i want to go for and I'll probably post a video to show you guys how it turned out.

Thanks again man I appreciate it.

Very nice bends man! The 1/2" HRS has become one of my favorites as well. 18" is a heck of a bend for a first try. Where did you get your 3/8" Square HRS? I've been looking everywhere for some of that.

Thanks. Yeah I guess I went just a bit overboard, but I wasn't sure what to try at first.

I got it at a local shop here in Tucson called Southwest Steel Supply. If by chance you came to the contest in February you could get some, but otherwise I think this is a local place and I don't know how much it'd be to ship. Let me know and if you absolutely can't find any maybe we can work something out.

Oh and also, you guys have no idea what a pain in the ass the 1/2" HRS was to cut with my 36" boltcutters. Is there any easier way besides a radial or other power saw? I'm guessing not but I figured I'd ask. What do you guys use for the 1/2"+++ stuff?

Tim brings up a point that I usually bring up but I just figured since it was square then it was probably A36. If your 3/8 square isn't A36 HRS (true HRS) from a steel supplier then yes, add a few inches. Steelworks stuff behaves more like mild CRS than HRS. Some sizes of their CRS and HRS calibrated identical.

Since you're talking about how to cut it, then you probably visited a steel supplier and got the A36 which is the best decision in this game.

Keep us posted!

Tim

I'm pretty sure it's A36 but I couldn't tell you for sure. I visited a local steel supplier (as I told Ben above) and bought this. I'll definitely keep you guys posted Tim

I've cut thicker with the same size bolt cutters. Just balance one handle of the bolt cutters on the ground and push as hard as you can...then rotate the steel and repeat until it finally gives way. You'll get to the point where you can get through 1/2" HRS in 4 or 5 well placed cuts.

I've cut thicker with the same size bolt cutters. Just balance one handle of the bolt cutters on the ground and push as hard as you can...then rotate the steel and repeat until it finally gives way. You'll get to the point where you can get through 1/2" HRS in 4 or 5 well placed cuts.

Ok thanks Ben. That's sort of what I did this time, I balanced one part on the ground but I didn't think of rotating it so I just pushed and pushed until it finally gave way.

Yup that's what I do as Ben describes unless I'm wanting to video a bend for David's list which then I use a hacksaw to get a precise cut.

I've got a pair of bolt cutters with probably 4 foot handles. American made too and I paid like ten dollars at a yard sale. Probably costs over $200.00 from what a hardware store owner told me.

Love to have a cut-off saw but haven't got one yet.

Tim

I would say an angle grinder with cutoff wheel is the best

Next is a sawzall, allthough this can get beatup too. I think its meant more for sheetmetal and longer rather than thicker steel cutting.

I would say for el cheapo method a hacksaw with a metal blade will go quick once you get the technique down.

Then lastly a big pair of bolt cutters. The big expensive ones are still awkward and cost allot and I have broken smaller cheap ones trying to cut larger stock, the jaws don't even touch anymore. I tried tighening the hell out of the side bolts but they are just bent.

I gotta get a picture of the last 3/8" square scroll I did the bend radius is tiny, I can barely fit a finger through the inside. I would like to see how different a36 is compared to this.