The secret weapon

Rick Walker

Today was an attempt at the cursed #3.  I was very close, so close in fact, my wife couldn't fit the tip of her pinky into the gap-and she's got little pinkys! :p

Anyway-I decided that it was time for a change.  I have been doing some beyond the range work on a #2 I modified.  It worked well-but it is only a #2.  I needed something harder to slam that #3 shut for good.  Modifying my PDA is out of the question because they don't sell them any more and I didn't want to modify the Atlas either.  So, I took a little trip to the local hardware.

I bought a steel rod the size of the gripper handles, some bolts, and a clamp.  I then waited in my father-in-law's driveway for him to return from work :D !

We then proceded to make a "secret weapon" ala Joe Kinney.  It took about an hour total to make it.  I then brought it home (after it cooled off!) and put the bolts into the side of the stairs in my garage.  I then rigged er' up and slapped on 70 pounds.  It was pretty darn hard to hold closed and the range is very, very close.  Well beyond that of the grippers.  So, I wondered just what the ratio was.

I went in and got my 24-lb spring scale.  I loaded a 10-pound plate on it and discovered at the point where the handles touch, it is a 2-1 ratio.  That 70-pounds weighed 140 at the place where my pinky was.  I slid the scale down and discovered a little over a 3-1 ratio at the mid point.  So, where my ring and middle fingers were, that 70 was 210.  I then attempted to do it at the base and ran into problems.  A 5 pounder was over 24 pounds-so it is over a 5-1 ratio, or 350-lbs.

I am just going to count the 2-1 because that is where the handles make contact, so it only seems logical.

In all, I think this is the key.  I can do single finger work, and I can continue to load weigh onto it as I improve.

I will keep everyone posted on how it works-

Rick Walker :hehe

yeah, I got some pictures, but I dont know how to post them on here-

Upload them to your site Rick, then make a post and click the Image button. It's self-explanatory after you do that.

Wannagrip-

My site is no longer upand running due to my graduation so I can't put it on my site.  Is there any other way to post it?  I have another web page in the making but I don't know how long it will take-

I sent 4 of them to you-

One came out. One was about 1/8 of a pic. The other two had 0 bytes.

Check your email.  :(

resent-this time I sent them all seperate-

Thanks for putting them in tha gallery.  If anyone has any question-just shoot me a line.  I can tell you this much-we didn't measure or plan too much-just cut and welded.  i am sure one could be made a lot better-(like Sybersnotts) but, I wanted it quick and I didn't want to spend any $$.  I think I spent maybe 10 bucks on it?

Rick,

That's great!!  The one I have was manufactured by Kinney himself, and I bought it from him.  I really like the one you made!  Now, put some real weight on it and give yourself some real PAIN!!  The top bar should be horizontal... but the way you have it is alright too; just be sure to push your hand down on the top bar to grip the two bars together, or else you might find yourself pulling the bottom bar up to support the weight (and that would serve no purpose).