The Last 1/4 Inch

twig

What's the best single exercise for it?

Overcrush?

Straphold?

Filed (BTR) close?

Hoseclamp/choked close?

It seems to me that:

Overcrush means you can grind for a while, but there's no definate as to how hard you're crushing.

Straphold means you can quantify how hard you're crushing, but as soon as you let up, the weight falls and you're done.

Beyond the Range means you're probably not crushing as hard as you could be, but you're extending the range of your crush.

Hose/Choke means you're doing a heavy partial through the hardest part of the movement.

Any thoughts?

I would actually say negatives with a gripper you can hold at about 1/4" or less. And even "rodeo" negatives for some added flavor. This is just what has worked well for me. I'm really interested in what others will say!

I'm currently using the choker method with my PDA choker. I think it has helped me build consistency in closing my 2.5. I haven't used any of the other methods yet so I couldn't comment on their effectiveness.

Strapholds and BTR, BTR strapholds are great also.

Working in that range with exercises that you find are the best will help you most.

EDIT: As far as me specifically, I find they all work pretty well.

Edited by superfeemiman

How would you work it on bench or squats?

Partials, volume, high rep, stripping, pyramids?

Edited by Autolupus

Forced closes+negs on gripper you cant close level above

Strap holds on moderate gripper

BTRs on gripper you can close filed down...

Overcrushes

Individual Finger closes of the ^

Time Holds with overcrushes...

doing it on hose clamped/choked gripper is also great method to make steady progressions...

yeah i do a fair amount of bounce forced negs , especially when im in that last 1/8" range.

I've done some strap holds and seen some gains there when I am working the close end of the range, but I've found BFN's and BTR work to help me out the most.

pc

Please excuse my dumbness :blush ,but what the heck is "BOUNCE FORCED" negative???and BTR????

I also am looking for advice to get the last 1/4-1/8"on my 2.5.

BTR is beyond the range. It's like when you file down a gripper and close it. Then you will go more than the range on closing it.

How do you do a bounce forced negative?

How do you do a bounce forced negative?

Okay i'll explain:

Take a gripper that you can nearly close (i.e get to the last 1/4" or 1/8"), try to close it from whatever kind of set, when you get to the point where you can't close the gripper any further, use your other hand to force the gripper completely shut. Once the gripper is shut remove the assisted hand and the gripper will naturally open a little bit, but keep squeezing you may find you can actually hold it with the bars closer at this point. Then repeat the process for a second rep, i.e you bounce the the gripper shut with the other hand, let go and repeat, you can do this for several reps but it will seriously cain your hands!

What i do is just force the gripper shut like in a BFN remove the assisted hand then just hold for as long as possible rather than repeating for a second rep, some guys however will do 5 or more reps.

Thanks Pete! I will sometimes provide assistance to one hand with the other in order to get the last 1/4" or so. I never thought about doing it for a few reps, though. I'll have to try it.

I usually do BFNs for 3-5 reps @ about 1 second each then fighting the last one for as long as possible. I'll do 3-5 sets of these on a workout.

pc