Rolling thunder question

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

Does it matter if one holds the handle parallel to the body (so your palm is facing your torso) or perpendicular to the body (so that the little finger is closest to the body and the palm is at a 90 deg. angle to the torso)? I'm getting a RT tomorrow, and I want to train like they judge. Presently, on my homemade 2 3/8 handle, I naturally seem to pull with my palm parallel to my body, but I see photos where the lifter is holding the real thing in the perpendicular manner.

Thanks,

David

[on edit, I should make it clear that I looked up in the archives IM's rules for the RT lift, but didn't see this issue addressed -- so I'm not being lazy with my question!  :D ]

I asked a similar question in an earlier thread.  I was told the palm parallel to the body is a harder way to do the lift (but most comfortable for my style).  I've seen photos of peeps doing it both ways so I assume its legal either way (but not confirmed).

Guest Mikael Siversson

In the Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge competition we allow a maximum of 45 degrees angle during the lift (the lift has to commence with the handle parallel to the torso). So if you start parallel but put it back down with the handle perpendicular to the torso (a 90 degree angle), you get a no lift from the judge. We also require a full two second stop at the finishing position where you stand with both legs straight (a slightly curved spined is allowed). The only downward motion (by the handle) allowed at lock out (the two second stop) is the slow opening of your hand. You are not allow to lower the weight by straightening your arm (if the initial pull was done with a bent arm) or by lowering your upper body (during the two second stop that is). After two seconds you get a down command from the judge and put the weight down without loosing control. These rules are tougher than those at the Rolling Thunder World Champs I believe.

Guest DavidHW

Thanks for the replies. My preference on my homemade rolling bar is parallel to the body up and down. Seems awkward at a 90 deg. angle. Glad to see my natural style is what 4 out of 5 gripsters recommend. :-) I'll be playing with my new Rolling Thunder tomorrow (I hope) so I'll see if I still like the parallel method.

David

Personally, I would recommend training with the hand and all the joints in what is the most ergonometrically comfortable position for you. Training with the joints at uncomfortable or unnatural angles seems to be at best counterproductive and at worst asking for injury.

Mike M.