How To Bend Nails Maintaining The Length, But Increasing The Thickness

Jorge Gonzalez

I bent the nail blue UH. So far I have only material Ironmind (blue, yellow and green and some white), I thought trying to bend a blue and white together on the next train, but I do not know to what may amount, or to reduce the length of the nail blue but the latter does not convince me since I am in favor of increasing the thickness, not length gradually decreasing.

I thought of commissioning in a nail factory CRS with thicknesses intermediate between the blue and red.

Currently, neither IM or FBBC sold nails thick between the blue and red.

There is allot of stuff for progression to the red nail of the same length. The major thing that you are forgetting is steel quality. Try finding some 60D nails and then grade 5 bolts at the length you want, presumably 7" for the red. Then grade 8 and 1/4" square stock.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10343

This has calibration #'s for reference to make an informed descion on what to progress to next from where you are at now.

If I understand correctly you have bent the blue nail. A 60D would be a good step up from that, then maybe a grade 5 bolt.

There's also drill rods and if you have access to a lathe you can turn some pieces down to suit...but I think you'll be missing out on the more holistic training effect working various lengths gives! :)

Thanks for the information.

I also thought bend a nail blue with a white, or go cutting the blue half inch nail gradually.

I suppose that the best option is to order a package of nails to FBBC, including those mentioned above for you.

I would also like to know the calibration nails Ironmind; have read that are 120-160-210-260 and 380 turn at the white-yellow-green-blue and red.

Is That measurement is correct?.

If a 5 "X 1 / 4 would be above the Red nail suppose, because it would be 425 lbs; But equivalent FBBC, 7" X 5 / 16 Round is 440 lbs;

Is this would be stronger than Red Nail, being exactly the same?.

Thanks for the information.

I also thought bend a nail blue with a white, or go cutting the blue half inch nail gradually.

I suppose that the best option is to order a package of nails to FBBC, including those mentioned above for you.

I would also like to know the calibration nails Ironmind; have read that are 120-160-210-260 and 380 turn at the white-yellow-green-blue and red.

Is That measurement is correct?.

If a 5 "X 1 / 4 would be above the Red nail suppose, because it would be 425 lbs; But equivalent FBBC, 7" X 5 / 16 Round is 440 lbs;

Is this would be stronger than Red Nail, being exactly the same?.

I calibrated a red nail not to longago it came around 440 lbs. too

i you want to stay at 7" inches I would to the 7"x5/16 HRS is 245 lbs then maybe

some stainless 7"x1/4" is 310 lbs the Red and Bastard are pretty close in poundage

with a slight edge going to the Bastard .

You can cut down the stuff you have bent to make it harder. You said specifically in the name of the thread even that this is not what you wanted to do though. And there is some validity in this because to answer your question no, 1/4" x 5" is not even close to a red nail. I know the calibration is higher but you really cannot compare the difficulty of cutting down the same stock and loosing leverage and something that is simply much thicker/stronger at the same length.

So in a way to specifically aim for a red nail it would be good to train at 7". I got stuck because of this, I can bend very well at 6" and under but 7" now poses more of a difficulty for me. A max effort 5" , 6" and 7" bend are all completely different in a way, totally different feel.

I think the same as timiacubucci.

In my training to certify the Red Nail, I thought that the ideal situation is to go bend nails increasingly hard, but maintaining the same length.

The most ideal would be to find nails 0.26 ", 0.27", 0.28 ", 0.29" and 0.30 ", but in these diameters not sell anything; only in a factory could be ordered.

The other option is to bend nails 7 " but other material, Square, Stainless Steeld, Bolts, which are harder with the same diameter and length.

Another option would be to bend a yellow nail and white nail together, which would add more at the same hardness as though I do not know.

When I got serious about the 7 inch stuff, I started with 1/4 round (yellow nail) then 1/4 hex, then 5/16 by 7 inch HRS which cal'd at 250 lbs but is pretty hard to kink, then chinese 70d nails, then 9/32 drill rod, then 5/16 zinc plated then steel works CRS then finally the bastard.

There are alot of increments of drill rod as someone said. When you can get 5/16 drill rod you'll be able to get a Red easier.

I personally have never like the feel of doubling up on steel but that's just me.

As someone else said, it would be a shame to pass up the major milestones such as 60d nails, G5 bolts, G8 bolts and such.

Best of luck!

Tim

Good information.

Interestingly, the 7 "x 9 / 32 Drill Rod, but I do not think it sells FBBC. Try to achieve.

The Bastard would be the last link before doubling the Red Nail, despite being seemingly equal. Okay.

Good information.

Interestingly, the 7 "x 9 / 32 Drill Rod, but I do not think it sells FBBC. Try to achieve.

The Bastard would be the last link before doubling the Red Nail, despite being seemingly equal. Okay.

The drill rod you would have to go to a steel yard it come in varios sizes if you got a drill bit chart

tthe drill rod is offered in the same sizes. currently I'm working on the .290"x7" almost got it now.

The kink is not to bad it's the sweep and the crushdown that get rough but not as bad as stainless.