Something New From Fbbc

John Beatty

Got a request for a shot loadable 3" axle the other day, am making the prototype over the next week to 10 days. should be kind of cool when complete.

Got a request for a shot loadable 3" axle the other day, am making the prototype over the next week to 10 days. should be kind of cool when complete.

John Beatty makes awesome equipment and I'm sure this 3" axle will be awesome too.

John sells his products at a very reasonable price contact him and ask him for shipping.

Don't worry Applecrusher, everyone here knows the high quality service, products and pricing John offers. I'm actually ordering even more steel from him as we speak.

Sounds like a nice piece of equipment, but man, that'll sure be expensive to fill up. John, I'm curious to why your customer wants it shot loadable vs. simply making a solid or hollow bar that you can add plates to?

Sounds like a nice piece of equipment, but man, that'll sure be expensive to fill up. John, I'm curious to why your customer wants it shot loadable vs. simply making a solid or hollow bar that you can add plates to?

Shot loaded barbells are a combination of plate loaded and shot loads you get the best of both words :rock

It will be loadable on the inside of the axle itself. The 6" axle part will be loadable, then it will have ends to plate load. I'd guess you could get close to 100lbs of shot, plus the axle will weigh close to 75 lbs, the add plates as he likes.

Shot loaded barbells are a combination of plate loaded and shot loads you get the best of both words :rock

Yeah but are you going to reach a point where you need to add shot because you can't add any more plates? Unless you are it doesn't make sense to me. Why spend the extra on shot when you can just add plates. Unless you happen to have 100 lbs of shot laying around and no or few plates I can't justify this. SOmeone want to justify this for me and explain it?

Perhaps seeing this axle will tell it's tale. Then again perhaps not but I've always been a visual learner.

Yeah but are you going to reach a point where you need to add shot because you can't add any more plates? Unless you are it doesn't make sense to me. Why spend the extra on shot when you can just add plates. Unless you happen to have 100 lbs of shot laying around and no or few plates I can't justify this. SOmeone want to justify this for me and explain it?

because you can micro-load each workout without even the body knowing your adding shot loads. trick the body into lifting more each time plus the shot load/ plate combination will give you a different feel when lifting

... I usually try and stay positive but.... This sounds pointless and a waste of time to even make.

You can microload with plates.. they make 1/4lb ones.

Expense of getting shot to fill it.

If you fill it only somewhat shot will shift from side to side, just asking for injury.

Ive honestly come to a point where ive finally realized this. Give me a barbell, plates, and a rack nothing more, nothing less, the strongest people dont get to that point from equipment but through determination. Im investing less in equipment (infact selling most) and investing more in chiken, milk, brown rice, fish, oatmeal, eggs.......

[You can micro load with plates.. they make 1/4lb ones.

Expense of getting shot to fill it.

If you fill it only somewhat shot will shift from side to side, just asking for injury.

Ive honestly come to a point where ive finally realized this. Give me a barbell, plates, and a rack nothing more, nothing less, the strongest people dont get to that point from equipment but through determination. Im investing less in equipment (infact selling most) and investing more in chiken, milk, brown rice, fish, oatmeal, eggs.......

:dry Hermann Goerner a quarter century after Thomas inch invented the plate-loading barbell was still using the old shot loading barbell he was on to something . I know they make 1/4 lb plates but with a shot load barbell you can load it in ounces. besides you don't have to use shot load you can use premium grade BB pellets to the bar you can add to each workout in small increments the body will hardly notice. Once you reach lets say 2.5lbs total in loads just add 2.5lbs plates to the bar and then start over with the shot load or BB pellets as far as the bar shifting from side to side I think that is great you have to learn to control objects that give you a challenge its like grappling or wrestling. This shift of the bar can help a person in the grappling arts just like the sandbags they shift if you use it right you won't get injured but get stronger because of the awardness of the bag shifting[/color]

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

I'm not actually sure what I think of it myself, outside I like all oddball equipment, I'm desigining dome lower cost shot loaded DB's now. As to the micro load, I'm not so sure that's the idea behind it, but that will, of course, work. I think it's more a stabilizer thing, like lifting kegs with water or sand. You have to have better control. I personally love to press kegs with sand, big rocks & such, I like the feel of a non standard item to lift. I've built plenty of strength through nothing more than a rack & plates as Kurt said, that was my base at home growing up, & I rarely used anything else until I got into Strongman in 1997. One thing I've noticed, though, I've had less injuries since training Strongman. I think it's the odd angles & more stabilizer load with all the weird stuff Strongmen lift.

As to wasting my time making it, it's never a waste of time if someone wants to pay you to make something....

This gives me a chance to pipe in.

If you are in the market for grip toys or other strength training equipment, please look FIRST at the sponsors you see above these forums. They are long time supporters of what we do here. Buying from them directly helps keep the Gripboard going strong. They aren't fair weather companies nor are they looking to sell cheap knock-offs. They have high quality equipment made to high standards. They build and sell tools of the trade because they have a passion to do so.

Thanks everyone.

I'm not actually sure what I think of it myself, outside I like all oddball equipment, I'm desigining dome lower cost shot loaded DB's now. As to the micro load, I'm not so sure that's the idea behind it, but that will, of course, work. I think it's more a stabilizer thing, like lifting kegs with water or sand. You have to have better control. I personally love to press kegs with sand, big rocks & such, I like the feel of a non standard item to lift. I've built plenty of strength through nothing more than a rack & plates as Kurt said, that was my base at home growing up, & I rarely used anything else until I got into Strongman in 1997. One thing I've noticed, though, I've had less injuries since training Strongman. I think it's the odd angles & more stabilizer load with all the weird stuff Strongmen lift.

As to wasting my time making it, it's never a waste of time if someone wants to pay you to make something....

:rock Looking forward to those shot load dumbbells what thickness will they be in?

Edited by Lion

Dude John you should definitely make a shot loadable Inch :D

I'll probably use a solid 2.5" handle, but of course I can do 2" or 3", or whatever people want.