Negatives

JeffPeterson

I am just short of the three, should I be using my 3, elite or 4 for negatives. With the three I can hold it closed or almost closed for some negs, the four just pulls my hand opem, elite is in between.

Jeff,

Use the Elite.  Cheat it shut against your leg or with your other hand, and hold it for as long as possible; fight it all the way, even to the point where your hand opens up.  BTW, do you have a grip machine?  This would really help a lot for your negatives training.  Good Luck!!  :)

I wish I had a grip machine like Kinney's. I like using the elite more. The four just over powers me.

Watch the overtraining with negatives (for me anyhow).  I've been doing about 3sets of negatives w/the 3 at the end of my last two workouts.  The intense negatives really hit the muscles a lot deeper than my previous workouts and I've had to rest a bit more.  They seem to work better for me than strapholds as I'm making better progress w/them.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I do neg every work out. ( 3 times per week ) . I would change back and forth from the #3 to the BBE from week to week. Unlike Snott, I only train the Neg's where I need it. So if you are an 1/8" away from the #3 the cheat it closed and fight it to about 3/8 away from close. I do 3 reps on each neg and do 3-4 sets of them. Thats just me. Play with it and don't be afraid to experiment a bit .

Harlan hit on something.  Try a routine, and if you're making progress with it, then stick with it.  If you're not making progress, scrap it for a new routine.

Negatives don't work for everyone.  You might need to experiment a little to find that "groove" that produces gains in your grip training.  And don't be afraid of a little pain!