Need a plan... (long)

Guest Go Dog Go!

Guest Go Dog Go!

Hello, I'm new to the board (actually I was here over a year ago but I can't find my old name or password). I've been trying to train my grip, but I don't seem to make much progress.

I have very thin wrists and fingers (my forearms get noticeably bigger, but never my wrists!), so it seems I'm small boned. My current level of grip is:

Can DL with an overhand grip (no hook) easily to about 300#.

Can walk with 20# York blobs for about a minute until they fall.

On any sort of weighted chin or pullup: I'm not sure; my arms and back give out first.

I have a gripper from a MA store which just says "Power Twister 195#" on the box. I'm chronically about 1/4" from closing it.

Using a Supergripper, I can easily close position 8 and 1 with the "2/3" grip; position 9 and 1 are pretty hard.

I think all of the above makes sense. After checking out the FAQs, I guess my question is: how do you all mix grip training in with your other strength training so that one does not interfere with the other and your hands don't get overtrained? And how do you mix various kinds of grip training: blobs, grippers, Farmers, etc.?

My other training, BTW, is all "functional strength" related: DLs, kettlebells, overhead presses, lots of heavy core strength work.

That's why I'd really like some advice from those who have been there and done that. Thanks a whole lot in advance!

Welcome aboard!  I train full-body two times per week.  I work my grip after each session.  I usually do a wrist exercise and a couple other grip lifts after each workout.  For the grippers, I dedicate an entire seperate day and only work them once per week.

Most do it as per the previous posters suggestion. I train my grip seperately. Perhaps you could do the 'easier' work after normal training and the harder work on another day.

You'll need to post up your other routine. It could well be that you're over training.

That gripper you have is probably a Lemley's.  The same thing is printed on the box that I have.

First thing - get a free catalog from IronMind.  Then you will order the grippers (and whatever else strikes your fancy).  You will need the #1, #2 and #3 if you are serious about training your grip.

Second - what are your grip goals?  Sit down and write them down if you have to.  Do you want to train to close the #3 and become a certified COC?  Or just improve your grip?

Third - visit this board often.  Lots of great advice from guys who know grip strength and training your grip.  This is THE forum when it comes to grip strength/grip training!

Oh.... one more thing.... welcome back to the GripBoard!!  :)

yeah!, i agree with snott. get yourself some CoCs!!!!! you cant go wrong with them. i dont hear to many people talk about it, (i think cuz its a rather old book, compared to the training advice on here), but i would get  john brookfields book on hand strength. train hard too! set goals!   good luck :D