Plate Pinching

Titan

Just curious .... when people refer to plate pinching is there a certain brand (and or) thicknesss of the plates for: 10''s , 25's , 35'lbers and 45lb plates ? My Troy Olmpic style Plates seem relatively thick as compared to other Olympic plates I have seen or used.

Any help would be appreciated

Just curious .... when people refer to plate pinching is there a certain brand (and or) thicknesss of the plates for: 10''s , 25's , 35'lbers and 45lb plates ? My Troy Olmpic style Plates seem relatively thick as compared to other Olympic plates I have seen or used.

Titan,

Here's part of a PM I sent (it didn't fit well in the other thread it would have gone into, but seems ok here).

Try to find some old York 25 lb. plates. The weights seem to be pretty consistent or slightly heavy (like the blobs). They fit together nicely and have some texture (I believe because they are milled? There is a slight swirling in the texture).

Particularly with 45s, check the weight (sometimes you can tell by "eyeballing" the plates). I have one "Standard Barbell" Olympic plate that is labeled "45 lbs.", but actually weighs 38 lbs., another is 48 lbs. There's not too many worse feelings in our sport than an underweight plate pinch and thinking you're stronger than you really are. All 45s I've tried are difficult (width and texture doesn't matter if you don't have the strength yet), because my narrow pinch is weak, so you'll have to ask someone else for a good brand.

Avoid hammertone paint unless you want the difficulty of pinching with gloves on without protecting your hands.

Five 10s is easier than the Blob for everyone I've talked to, YMMV.

I'm still looking for some good-fitting plates for training to pinch six 10s; my Yorks' edges are too sharp for regular training and the plates (CAPS) I did my five 10s with don't really fit perfectly together and are a bit slick. I pinched my five 10s on the first day I tried it, so six may be possible for me, even though I've been told otherwise. Telling me I can't do something is actually doing me a favor.

Go to a grip contest, there should be a variety of plates to try after the main events. I haven't seen enough brands to comment on the thicknesses, sorry.

Edited by odin

Thanks .... My Troys are very very slippery .. They have that green marble look to them. My 25, 35 and 45's seem much thicker than my Standard ones I used to have (Standard Olympics that is) made under the brand Standard.

Again thks for the feedback. Much appreciated !

Thanks .... My Troys are very very slippery .. They have that green marble look to them. My 25, 35 and 45's seem much thicker than my Standard ones I used to have (Standard Olympics that is) made under the brand Standard.

Again thks for the feedback. Much appreciated !

You're welcome Titan. I was looking for some of the same info a couple months ago. I was trying to pinch three 25s, one was hammertone and two were bigger than the other; I could feel them stir but the three matching Yorks went up with my RH the first day I trained with them.

I think if you can get strong enough to lift the Blob, the five dimes will seem easy and three 25s will feel somewhat harder. Pinching, lining up and dropping multiple plates repeatedly is not something I have patience for unless I'm pretty close to doing it already, that's why I'd recommend getting to a Blob-worthy wide pinch level first (or use a pipe through the plates).

Two 45s is something I believe needs to be trained for specifically, unless someone else knows a feat that generalizes to being able to pinch 2x45. I think it might take me a year or longer; two 35s was pretty easy for me, but 2x45 is a great feat IMO.

Edited by odin

I might try to get a vid tonight of pinching 10's, 35's and 45's trying the Yorks. Is chalk permitted ?

My Blobs consist of : York: 30, 35, 40, 45 & 50. They are the real deal ones. I can only get the 40 so far but my hand is fairly small .... only 7.5" from wrist to tip of middle finger. Again, thanks for the info man.

Titan,

Here's part of a PM I sent (it didn't fit well in the other thread it would have gone into, but seems ok here).

Try to find some old York 25 lb. plates. The weights seem to be pretty consistent or slightly heavy (like the blobs). They fit together nicely and have some texture (I believe because they are milled? There is a slight swirling in the texture).

Particularly with 45s, check the weight (sometimes you can tell by "eyeballing" the plates). I have one "Standard Barbell" Olympic plate that is labeled "45 lbs.", but actually weighs 38 lbs., another is 48 lbs. There's not too many worse feelings in our sport than an underweight plate pinch and thinking you're stronger than you really are. All 45s I've tried are difficult (width and texture doesn't matter if you don't have the strength yet), because my narrow pinch is weak, so you'll have to ask someone else for a good brand.

Avoid hammertone paint unless you want the difficulty of pinching with gloves on without protecting your hands.

Five 10s is easier than the Blob for everyone I've talked to, YMMV.

I'm still looking for some good-fitting plates for training to pinch six 10s; my Yorks' edges are too sharp for regular training and the plates (CAPS) I did my five 10s with don't really fit perfectly together and are a bit slick. I pinched my five 10s on the first day I tried it, so six may be possible for me, even though I've been told otherwise. Telling me I can't do something is actually doing me a favor.

Go to a grip contest, there should be a variety of plates to try after the main events. I haven't seen enough brands to comment on the thicknesses, sorry.

if your tens are to sharp find two of them that weigh more than ten pounds and stand an olympic curl bar up in a vice put one ten on it and use a grinder to get it spinning and round the plate a little then then use a sanding disk to make it smooth i know what your saying on sharp plates they cut like a knife use them on the ends of your stack good luck on 6 plates

Incidently, for "Two Hand Pinch", there is a contraption that is known as an Adjustable Euro Pinch Device that has rubber spacers that fit in between plates of steel. The width seems to be 44 cm to 64 cm. At the British Grips, 49 cm was a very popular width. As far as "official" lifts, that is pretty much the standard. In general, using wider plates will yield lower weights than what are done on the pinch device.

Hmmm . great info as usual Hub ! Thanks man