More Power In Setup Position?

golgotha

Need tips on how to build more power in the setup/starting position.Anyone?

how dod you set up me i prefer to grip up as hard on someone's hand as i can as high as i can. I like to apply as much pressure with my finger tips as poss mainly my index and middle fingers

how dod you set up me i prefer to grip up as hard on someone's hand as i can as high as i can. I like to apply as much pressure with my finger tips as poss mainly my index and middle fingers

Why?

to control the hand because some people will roll out or over and i get more back-pressure it seems but if you have shorter fingers its harder to control the hand

I'm glad to hear this from someone that is experienced. I've always wondered what was appropriate. I didn't want to seem like some idiot up there trying to play mercy. I grip up hard, like I would a barbell or cable handle but never tried to really put the squeeze on them to actually control their hand, it was more like making sure I was protecting my own. I'll start really gripping up hard whether it's with the top two for toprolling or with the last two when I hook and see how that goes. I need help getting more power from the start too.

Thank's for the answer! I have small hands so usually it's hard for me to get a good high grip as my hand get to opened up.

I prefer to grip very low instead and use the hook.

Edited by golgotha

I would say try to position your hand so that you can put as much pressure on your wrist as you can ESPECIALLY if you have a small hand or short fingers. Because trying to get good hand control with mainly finger pressure isn't a good idea I would think. It's hard to explain how to do it.......maybe someone who knows what I am talking about can explain it.

Also I would try to use a different pressure at the set up than you will use at the start of the match.

well for one thing everyone has diferent strong points so what works for me might not be best for someone else plus you pull diferent people with diferent strong points so you dont want to be one dimentional and i dont always grip high like if i'm trying to hook i'll grip a little lower like was mentioned.

Bob Brown would be a guy to ask on here he has far more exp than i but you should practice everything for diferent situations

I overheard a guy at Nationals talking about a grip up tip Bob had showed him. I think it was Dan Fortuna; anyway it had to do with defending against a toproll. I saw him explaining it to another guy at the table and it looked like he cocked or angled his wrist with just a slight movement, very quick, and the toproller couldn't do much. I remember the other guy being in disbelief and "Dan" saying something like "Bobby Brown showed me that one, who'd have though he ever knew anything about armwrestling" and they both laughed. Maybe if Bob sees this he'll comment.

Josh