Bending question

dyoder16

Lately I've gotten a little interested in bending so for the last few months I've been working grip on thin things, as per strongman's advise the rope and the buckett.  I was wondering what is the easiest thing to start with that I could get at a  place like Lowes?  Eventually I'd like to get a Bag O' Nails, but right now I'm saving for the Gripanator and that's first on the list.  

Also are there any good books on stunt type grip feats like bending and tearing phone books and the like?

Thanx.

dyoder16

There is a free strongman stunts book at the link below. I think there is also another one somewhere on there site. There server is slow, so be patient, it is FREE afterall...

http://sandow.crosswinds.net/Competi....tro.htm

I know you can get steel rods at lows. I think someone else well be more help than me in sizes etc. I haven't done much bending.

3/16" and 1/4" HRS would be the place to start.  6"x3/16"HRS ~Ironmind white, 7"x1/4" ~IM Yellow.  Try to do progressions of shorter steel by cutting off 1/4" or 1/8" at a time.  Remember to protect your hands by wrapping the nail in a cloth.  Study Strongman's webpage for technique.

I think I saw some stock marked CRS at Lowe's that looked suspiciously like HRS.  Buy which ever they have and do progressively shorter bends.

Which style are you using?  I favor the "spike bending" technique.

As far as reading material goes, "The Black log" and old posts  here are the best sources.  The world's premier steel bender (John Brookfield) did not see fit to include any information on steel bending in "The Mastery of Hand Strength".  I think he would prefer that the rest of us left the Ironmind Red alone !

Robert

dyoder16, you might want to check out the book "MUSCLEBLASTING! Brief and Brutal Shock Training" by Robert Kennedy & Don Ross ISBN 0-8069-6758-7

Chapter 8 is titled "Feats of Strength - Secrets of the Strongmen".

I picked up a used copy off Amazon.com for only $5.

Train smart!

Strongman,

I remember reading a post of yours where you and your training partner were working on a chart for bending strengths of certain materials.  I was wndering if you finished it.

Thanx for the book tip.  I'll check it out on Amazon.

dyoder16

dyoder,

Check out Bill Hinbern's site if your interested in books.  Get a free catalog sent to you if you can; good stuff there.  I have ordered my fair share of books from him, and they are great reading material and for reference.

http://www.superstrengthbooks.com

Well I went to Lowes.  Talk about confusion.  Does anybody know what section or department to find the rolled stock?  I asked two different salespeople and both did the same thing.  They didn't know what I was talking about and then when I explained what I was looking for both of them took me over to masonry and showed me 1/2" rebar.  Talking to them was talking to a brick wall.  

dyoder16

Guest Canthar

Look in the Hardware section same place you would find nails. If you need to ask again ask about weld steel they should point you in the right direction. I don't remember the number offhand though.

Nic

Strongman,

That chart is unbelievable!!  How long did it take you?  I think that is just the thing that a lot of us are looking for.  I'm starting with the aluminum gutter spikes for a while.  

Thanx a lot!!

dyoder16 :)

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the chart! But, Tom Black deserves all the credit for initiating the idea of doing the testing, though! (BabyGrip, my training partner, deserves a little credit for doing the actual testing, I suppose.)

Robert, try Lowe's Hardware's 8" x 5/16" carriage bolts - this is 5/16" steel that's easier than 3/8" Aluminum.

Train smart!

Ah, but is a 5/16" carriage bolt really 5/16"?  I don't believe so, unless it's unthreaded where you bend it.  Don't forget thread depth.

Great chart by the way!  Nice job.

Thanks Strongman for giving me credit for the initial idea.  I'm glad that our numbers are consistent.  Even the placement of the Ironmind Red at 383 seems close to my readings.  The red was hard for me to test because I couldn't fit all the weight on the loading pin, and I always wondered if my readings were inaccurate.  You really should add a key to the chart about the exact method used as well as how far each bar bent (Although it may be too late for that because the tests have already been done).

Terminator, excellent point! For weaker 5/16" steel, I recommend getting the Grade 2 Carriage (or Machine) bolts that, like you suggest, are only threaded at the very end and have otherwise solid shanks.

Tom, excellent idea! I will add a key to the chart of the exact method used. I may also throw a pic of a test in progress up on my site to provide additional clarity.

I will be adding some additional info to the chart, soon, but wanted to (at least) put something up for now - since it had been a while since I first promised such a chart. I'm very pleased that people like the chart and I will endeavor to keep it updated as additional bolts, nails, and rods are enountered along my bending journey.

Train smart!