Bent Wrist Coc Closes

gripn00b

Hello all.

I was wondering- I notice what when I try to close my COC with my wrist bent like this...

http://www.karate-made-easy.com/images/kar...t-strike-24.jpg

... it is substantially more difficult. Does anyone know what muscles/tendons are isolated or focused when you close a gripper with a bent wrist? Is it OK to do this?

Also, is it OK for me to oil the spring? It's pretty squeaky, but I don't want to lessen the tension any.

Thanks for any help! :rock

Edited by GRIPn00b

Since your hands get their strength from the muscles in the lower arm, the highest strength level will be when the wrist is in a straight line with the lower arm.

A lot of people hold their wrist bend a little to the opposite side, but that's mainly for setting purposes if I understand correctly.

I would suggest just keeping your wrist straight or bend backwards a little, at least not bend like this.

And it's just required maintenance to oil your gripper, you don't want it to get rusty, do you?

Edited by White Scorpion

It is painful that way- either trying to close from that position, or closing from a conventional position, then bending your wrist into that position and trying to hold it closed.

I'm curious as to why this particular position is so difficult. I usually tend to believe that where there's pain, there's weakness, but I'm open to the fact that sometimes, where there's pain, there's just pain.

Edited by GRIPn00b

It is painful that way- either trying to close from that position, or closing from a conventional position, then bending your wrist into that position and trying to hold it closed.

I'm curious as to why this particular position is so difficult. I usually tend to believe that where there's pain, there's weakness, but I'm open to the fact that sometimes, where there's pain, there's just pain.

Think of pulling a truck with a large rope. If you pull in a straight line, it is fairly easy to get the truck rolling. Now, run the same rope arount the corner of a brick building. Pulling becomes difficult, if not impossible. Same with the wrist. All of the tendons of the palm run through synovial sheaths. All of the sheaths run under a "bridge" called the Transverse Carpal Ligament. If the tendons pass through a straight wrist, pulling is easy and they pass under the "bridge". If the wrist is bent, they must travel around a corner (the underside of the TCL "bridge"). This is the same result as the brick corner. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm.../02/Gray423.png

Kind of like getting a kink in a garden hose. If you put more water pressure

on the kink, it will not make the hose stronger but it will burst the conduit(hose).

No strength to be gained with this technique in my opinion, only adverse

consequences.

GRIP:

its like trying to defend yourself from someone with a choke on you .... this position its like having a choke in your wrist , very dificult ... i believe if more people try this, the weak link will disapeear , maybe u are right my friend-)

It just seems like a ridiculously high risk for a questionable benefit. Kind of like doing plyometrics for your neck, good luck.

It just seems like a ridiculously high risk for a questionable benefit. Kind of like doing plyometrics for your neck, good luck.

DO NOT DO THIS........IT WILL BUST YOUR WRIST TENDONS.

• 3 weeks later...
There is a picture of John Brzenk trying a gripper in this fashion in the new IM catalog. pg 54

Yeah I noticed that too when i got mine today. It looks like a #1, what do you guys think?

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me

I remember Brzenk said it was a CoC #2.5

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=21456&st=20

Edited by Alawadhi