Du Form Question

gerryg

Yes. Steve McGranahan's volume 1 DVD shows some really good DU bending and he explains the technique. Very reasonable priced too.

Tim

As i understand it, you only need to DU as far as the 45 degree mark, after that the bar can be finished DO, and the bend is still considered DU.

I tend to bend DU as far as 80/90 degrees then finish DO.

Actually I think 40 degrees is enough for it to be considered a DU bend. But I think it's good to go DU all the way through the chrushdown aswell, if you can of course.

The reason I asked this question is because I have been seeing alot of 180 degree Protractor pictures so I thought I was cheating with the crushdown part. So as long as I bend to 40 degrees DU it's good?

Even though the rules say 40 degrees within 30 seconds, I would still try to get as big a bend as possible in that first hit, thus making the crushdown much easier. As I've just gotten to the point where I can DU bend a Bastard and a 1/4" x 6" G8, I'd say you'd want to aim for a DU bend wherein at the completion of the DU portion, your fists are locked against each other. At this point, the amount of bend put in the steel using the DU style will be roughly 90 degrees. Due to some pain and sickness issues, I'm taking a few weeks off from any form of bending, but when I return, I will try some shorter Bastard nails (6-1/2") and G8 bolts (5-1/2") DU for awhile, and see if I can still maintain that 90 degree "first-hit".