About the movie, "blue crush"

Sybersnott

I went to see the movie, "Blue Crush" over the weekend.

Hey, don't razz me about it.  My friends wanted to see another movie that I didn't want to see, so I watched this one instead!   :blush  :p

The movie revolves around this girl who is a surfer.  She's good enough to be a pro, but something is holding her back.

That "something" is an accident that she suffered three years earlier.  Since that time, she is reluctant to ride the BIG waves.  These are the kind of waves that would propel her into the pro ranks.

This is the part of the movie that I concentrated on.  Her fear of getting hurt again (or worse) .vs getting past it and becoming someone great in the world of professional surfing.

At the bottom of each post of mine, you'll see a line that says the following:  "Deep inside your greatest fear lies your greatest victory".  I'm not sure who said it... but when you think about it, it speaks volumes.

I read the Rick Walker post about taking time off and coming back to weight train again.  After getting the green light from his doctor, he picked up right where he left off - and he got bigger and stronger as a result.

Many guys would give up the ghost if they ever got injured while weight training, and they would be very concerned about whether or not they should ever train again... fearing more injury or worse.  Not Rick.

Rick sucked it up, and resumed his training.  Rick has something that I can describe in one word:  champion.

He is the very essence of a champion.  He's the guy that NEVER quits... never gives up... trains brutally hard; no quarter given and none asked for.

Joe Kinney is the same way.  Here's a guy that grip trains till he PUKES on himself, and his fingernails bleed.  No wonder he can close the #4.

I wish I had his kind of determination.  I don't.

I did have drive enough to become a COC.  I put myself through the pain of an SW, and it paid off - and this was after an injury to my hand in which I thought it was over for me.  I toughed it out, and became strong enough to close that #3 and become certified.

I guess what I'm saying is:  to all those guys who dream about someday closing the #3.... don't EVER give up.  Keep at it, train hard and it will happen for you.  It took me two years to close that #3, but I knew that someday I would do it, and I did.

So now ask yourself, what is your biggest fear??

What can you do to get past it, AND become better than you are right now??

Once you can figure it out, you will be on the path to greatness.  Let nothing stand in your way.  Crush that #3!!

Nice post Sybersnott. After reading it, I'm motivated not to let my #### lower back injury keep me from reaching my massive deadlift goals! What doesn't destroy my lower back will make it stronger, right?

"Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records."

William Ward

I live by these words.  Thanks Syber.

Rick Walker :hehe

Nice post Sybersnott!

Rick,i like the fraise that you used,by William Ward!

The firm that i used to work for,tried to destroy me,mentally!

Wrong move,buy them!

Come this December,it will cost them plenty,in court!

That will be just the beginning,for them because then it will be my turn!

This experience,has made me all the more richer because,i have met and made,all sorts of new friends,from all over the world!

Always try and turn a negative,into a positive!!! :)  :)

In the movie, she put the past out of her head just for a moment, jumped on that huge wave determined to ride that sucker to the end, and she did.

In the book, "The Complete Keys To Progress", John McCallum talks about heavy weights and squatting.  He says that if you fear the weight, admit the fear, get over it, and get on with squatting.

I think most guys put up "mental hurdles" when it comes to training, whether it be grip training or weight training in some form or another.  They CONVINCE themselves that they can't do it ("it's too heavy", "I'm not ready for that yet", "it's the wrong day of the month", la la la).  They make excuses, instead of trying to make progress.

Don't fall into that trap.  Convince yourself you CAN do it... then go out and prove yourself right.  :)

So Snott, you still movin' in on that BW bench?  Just remember, NEVER give up hope!

Snott's goal is a 500lb. benchpress.  I am not sure if a 500lb. bodyweight would be necessary to attain that.

No to a BW of 500 pounds!  :p  :)

Yes to a BW bench (so far only two reps).  Yeah, my ultimate goal is to BP 500 pounds.  I'm making steady progress, adding 5 - 10 pounds per week, BPing three times a week.

• 3 months later...

Digging up this "golden oldie" for the New Year! :happy Enjoy! :rock

:blush

Jonathan, thanks.

From time to time, I'll dig up a topic of interest for the new guys on the forum.

If you really liked this one, and for future threads, I suggest creating a book and naming it, "Sybersnott's greatest hits". Then you can print out that thread on your printer and put it in the book. Later, you can open it and just get good positive vibes from all the threads that you have printed and put in that book! :)