Iit Wrenches

GarytheDino

This post is in regards to the "IIT" wrenches that I purchased at the local Ace hardware. Once you peel off the handle coating they are all a different brand. Out of the 3 - 10" inch wrenches I have a Barkly which took around 30 minutes to bend, I have another with chinese symbols on it that I have so far bent to 11 degrees. This one may be of equal strength because it's only been three days since I bent the first one. My legs are still sore. The final one is a gold crown that will not move. The demensions are the same on all three wrenches but man they are different in strength. As for the 12 inch wrench I bought to try........ha. It's a Shengoi should be a no-go-y. :blush:angry:

You guys that brace bend, what do you use? What does Dennis Rogers use. I hear the companions also have a big variance.

Edited by GarytheDino

I hear you man. Chris Rider and I discovered this a while back. He bent an ITT wrench that had some symbols on it that I can't remember. I think it's in his gallery still. I bought one to try and it ended up being one of the gold crown ones.

Here's a pic

Don't feel bad. It's not what I term a "show wrench". You can see from my comments back then what I thought of it.

It's bendable but it's one of those things that you will pay the price to do so. Was not a fun bend and not one that I care to do again.

All three are tough in their own right though. Great job getting one of those.

I did send Chris Rider one of my ITT wrenches but I'm not sure it was a gold crown but I bought it at the same place as mine. I never heard how he ended up with it but maybe he can comment too if he reads this. I should've cut the handle off before I shipped it to him to see if they were all gold crowns from this place.

Nice job Gary!

Tim

I've asked Dennis this and suprisingly he did give me a few brands. Obviously you've seen him bend the companions and yes they do vary a ton. I've had a very tough 10 incher in those. I like the Buffalo Tools ones for show as they're as consistant as any I've seen and are plenty tough to stump anybody but are not killers. I've done the 8, 10 and 12 of that one but my source for these is drying up fast. Makes a good even bend every time. The 12 is the toughest 12 inch wrench I've ever bent.

Dennis doesn't have one particular brand that he uses or at least if he has he hasn't tipped his hand. I know on the National Geographic special, the 10 incher that he hands to the woman after he bends it appears to be a Buffalo Tools wrench so maybe he's discovered that one too. He's mentioned Pit Bull, and Extra which I've only tried the Extra one. Odds are that rather than brands, Dennis can spot the differences in steels used because I've fallen in love with a brand of wrench only to end up getting one that was a killer and not one to use in front of a crowd. I've got a Diamond wrench that I've got a partial bend in that is crazy thick but the next one in the stack was much thinner. I've seen 2 distinct "extra" wrenches and I'd bet the Pit Bulls are the same. If you see these 4 piece sets that are around 10 to 15 dollars, those usually a pretty good bend.

I've seen about 5 different batches of Regal wrenches too.

As a general rule for myself though, the Buffalo tools seems to be the most consistant and good bending wrench. Not easy but not a crown gold either and it stays fairly consistant through the whole range.

Hope this helps.

Tim

This one has the exact writing on it. You are a better wrench bender than I. I also could not move the 3/4x7/8 Craftsman that you did.

I know there still could be some variation in wrenches but doubt that it's a coinsidence that both mine would be "unbendable"

Thanks for your help Tim.

Edited by GarytheDino

I can say this. The crown gold I did was much tougher than the FBBC 80d nail. No competition.

The Craftsman is a very tough bend with some crazy springiness. Have you done the 5/8 yet? It's great bend in it's own right and one that a lot of famous strongmen do.

Later,

Tim

I can say this. The crown gold I did was much tougher than the FBBC 80d nail. No competition.

The Craftsman is a very tough bend with some crazy springiness. Have you done the 5/8 yet? It's great bend in it's own right and one that a lot of famous strongmen do.

Later,

Tim

Yes, I did that one at the AOBS dinner while Chris watched.

Hey Gary. There may be a forth kind.

look at this pic

I'm 90% sure this is the pic that Chris told me was an IIT wrench with the handle cut off. If I recall correctly, he said that this wrench was very tough to kink but then it just melted.

Later,

Tim

I don't get as much leverage pulling against the knee with a wrench, with a longer bar yes.

I'm not an expert at braced bending, maybe with the horseshoes bare handed I'm ok.

BTW I bent a 8 inch and a 10 inch Companion today. I'll try to get video up tomorrow night.

Nice job Gary. The 10 inch companion is a very nice bend. It's not one of the easier 10 inchers by any stretch of the immagination. 8 incher is no slouch either.

Great job!

Tim