Old Heads Of The Board

Rick Walker

How do the new #3s compare to the old stock? I know they have silver springs now, correct? I bought one a couple years back and it had the silver spring, but it rusted quick and even with lots of oil, it still creaked and cracked and sounded like it was binding up. Are the new ones still like this?

Also, how do they compare to 04' and earlier models. The black spring models? When I first got my 04' model it was the hardest #3 I had ever had, then after a few months it became "normal".

Thanks.

I am far from an authority on this but every older #3 I tried at the BBB(I think there were 3 in the contest and I tried 2 or 3 others afterwards) was easier than my new #3. I could get the medium #3 to sub parallel but my new one(I've chest crushed it alot, oiled it, chest crushed it some more) is still a beast of a #3, parallel is about all I can muster on it.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

Rick-

The #3's seemed to be a little soft on average shortly after they started the double stamp thing, but really the new ones aren't any harder than the hard ones beforehand. I've still seen some easy ones from people I don't think would have tampered with them.

Hopes this makes sense. In short, no they aren't really a ton harder.

I'm with Bob, they vary. The hardest 3 I have had my hands on was supersqueeze's #3, it's an older model. I have tried hard new #3's and easy new #3's, as a whole they may be some closer and not the varied spread of a tough #2 to a near #3.5, but they still vary in strength.

Don't have much experience with grippers yet, but I can close my #3 to approx. 2mm. My brothers #3 which is also from 2006/2007 feels much easier on the sweep but I can't get it closer then approx. 1/2" (12mm).

So definitely a huge difference IMO ;)

Thanks fellas.

Here is the reason I ask: the only gripper I still own is a 2004 #3. I want to try and recertify eventually, but I don't want to be closing this one, only to have IM send me a new one and have it stop me 1/2"! That would be a waste of time for me and my potential judge.

And, I figure there is really no sense is buying a new #3 since it will get weaker eventually and I will just end up with 2-#3s that I can close, but not neccesarily right out of the package.

All certs done with new grippers now right?

Making sense?

How about you train with the coc#3 you currently own and when you think you are ready to cert, order a new coc#3 and see how you do right out of the packge. If you nail it contact IM right away and set up a cert and if not, go back to the drawing board! Just an idea.

That is what I am trying to keep from having to do. Order a new #3, miss it, back to the drawing board, order another new #3, maybe make it, maybe not, back to the drawing board, etc. Next thing you know I have 5-#3s when I really only wanted the one I have. :(

Ah well. I guess I will just keep using the grip machine, attempting the #3, and when I think the time is right give it a go.

Good luck with your training, Rick!

I would say that it would be the best bet to get grippers calibrated on the Redneck Gripper Calibrator. Once you can CCS a #3 that calibrates around 3,20-3,30, you should be well prepared for the cert.