Time off

Rick Walker

In February of 2000 I was diagnosed with a genetic AV block, Mobitz II.  I went into the hospital and came out 7 days later with a pacemaker.  I had no symptoms, no effects, just a strange palpitation and a strange EKG.  The doctors said I should be faint, dizzy, and blacking out on a regular basis.  Instead, I was running on a treadmill and giving the doctors ####-I am quite ornery :D !

Anyway, I came home weighing about 180 pounds and was instructed that I was to do absolutly no lifting for 12 weeks.  At the end of the 12th week, I started back up.  A 185 pound bench was heavy and a 300 pound squat felt like an elephant on my shoulders.  I returned to the doc for a checkup and things werent right-he ordered no lifting for another month just to make sure the leads were set good and my heart was adjusting to the pacer.

So, i was 4 months without lifting a thing.  In June, I was cleared to hit the hits as hard as I wanted.  I set a date for a September meet.  In the course about 3 months I went from 180lbs to 230.  My squat went from 300 to 500 raw, my bench went from about 225 to 320 raw, and my dead went from 405 to 560 raw.  

I owed it all to that 4 months off!

I haven't crushed a gripper in 2 months.  About a month ago I got serious and trained with a vengence for a week.  But, I was stupid and thought I was indestructable and by Friday I had blisters, rips, and forearms that ached so bad it hurt to take the clamps on and off a loaded bar.

Another month off and for kicks I went out and warmed up and took a shot at the #3.  I went from closing it a few months back to being a half an inch away! :angry:  :angry: !

So, Sunday I started back on a serious, down and dirty program.  I have opened up one heck of a blister on my middle finger (it aint so bad with super glue and duct tape) and I am sore-but this time I am smart.  Much lower volume-much more aggressiveness.  Today is Wednesday and I can already feel the strength coming back-quicker and better then before.  The rest did me wonders and I am ready to get on with closing COCs.

Expect big things ;) .

The moral: I know many of us don't like time off.  When we are resting, some one else is training and we are going to fall behind.  Rest is for the weak-those who cant hang with the big dogs rest on the porch.  WRONG.  Rest will do you wonders-your body will respond like it is a training virgin.  

Remember when you first started training??  I do.  I gained 30 pounds my first 3 months of training and I had no idea what the heck I was doing.  I just went heavy and hard.  Take some much needed time off my friends-and you will reap the benefits!

Rick Walker :hehe

Nathan-

Oh, I am still doing it man :crazy  :crazy  :crazy

I am up to 3.5 mile runs every Sun/tues/thurs and 12-20 mile bike rides every Mon/Wed/Friday.

I swim when I can but a mile swim is easy now.

I have a 5K Spetember 14th-my first endurance race.  I love the bike and someday, when I can afford a good racing bike, I will be fast.

I cant go anywhere around here without hitting major hills, some as much as a few miles long-so I am strengthening the systems quickly.

My first triathlon will be summer 2003.  I will be a transformed man.  How many triathletes are COC??

I will be the first triathlete to close a #4.....

Rick Walker :hehe ;)

I know there's somewhere in the archives where I posted something similiar to what you just did here.

I've taken time off from my training on more than one occasion, and I usually recover faster and get stronger.  Some guys can't fathom the idea of giving your body a break in training, then they can't figure out why they aren't progressing.

Rick, great post... keep us updated on your training.  I won't be surprised at all once you do close that #4!  :)

hi rick I do not believe we have ever spoke so here goes at one time I was a good powerlifter squating 575 for 6 reps well below the legal depth, I would destroy myself 3x wk, While I got friendly with mike bridges who I belive is the greatest powerlifter ever we both weighed around the same so we hit it off right away. Do you know  he only trained 8 wks for the seniors and 8 wks for the worlds. Mike has never lost a meet. squated 823 in old fashioned wraps and suit, benched 529 without a shirt and 777 in a wrestling singlet.2105 total 181 20 years ago rest is the way to go