I'm Going To Make An Diy Wrist Toy

Leo77

In search of a mobile wrist toy to play, I though I could build it myself. Due to friends of my in Auto workshop, I can have them do welding quite easy.

But I'm still wondering will the below design work. Please advise me. I have no experience in hardware jobs before. Thanks.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6638/wristtraineres4.jpg

Edited by Leo77

Hi,

What exercises do you plan to perform on your design and how?

I intended to use it mainly for supination and pronation, and also mimic movement of back and front levering just by changing the way you grasp it.

@bob brown : thanks for your pics, I've never seen such complicate a tool like that, look like trap in Saw movies :D (j/k)

Edited by Leo77

Wow Dan, some cool, weird items in that link...

Leo, are you planning on twisting that thing or bending it?

~Steve

Steve, I'm planning on twisting only.

And here's another design.

Cool ideas leo. I think if you combine the two ideas it would be best. Take the central axle idea from the youtube device and combine that with the spring idea from the imageshack idea. Might be tough to find just the right sprig, but not impossible. Maybe use the torsion spring from the imageshack device as the base resistance and you can adjust the strength of the thing with add on coil springs as in the youtube device.

Have you seen IronMinds Twist yo Wrist device? similar motion, not really portable though (you need to hook it to plates)

~Steve

Edited by Revtor

I intended to use extension springs only because it's easier to find. With a spring that has x mm free length, if it attached to the tools with the distance from the post is also x mm and if we rotate the handle an angle of 90 degree, the spring will be stretched to roughly 1,73x. I think if I chose the right spring, it'll be very stiff.

By the way, does anybody know about springs of Ivanko's Super gripper ? How stiff is it ?

Edited by Leo77

the ISG's springs are pretty stiff... I think with two of them in your device it would be a beast. Of course everything is relative - you've got the strongest grips in the world on this board, so my opinion won't apply to some of the real grip masters here.

also, if you want to talk spring stiffness, you've got to describe how you mean. The weight it would take for the spring to stretch .5 inch? 1 inch?

Get your bud to weld up the frame, go to the HW store and try out different springs. you'll find something relatively close and then you can get omnline to find somethign better. make it hold multiple springs so you can adjust it in finer increments.

drop a ball bearing down the tube that the other side then slides into. help eliminate "stiction"

~Steve