Left Hand Stuck On Coc #1, Help Me Out?

dog20

i went ahead about bought the mini coc gripper (forgot the name) to improve my pinky and ring finger strength and i also bought the resistance bands. what else can i do to improve my grip? thanks.

this is my first post btw :rock

How long have you been stuck. It may be that your left takes that bit longer to develop strength, either be patient or change your workout. E.g if you're doing low reps switch to high reps with a lighter gripper. Maybe try a bit of rest , you may find u come back stronger.

i just do about 1x10 (1 set of 10) with the trainer to warm up. then i do 2x8 with the #1 on both hands. i've been working on the #1 for about 3 weeks now. finally, i can close it for all my reps on my right hand (i just pick it up and close it all the way, i don't know the name of the set). but with my left i can get about 2. maybe i should take a rest because i do notice a little bit of pain with my left hand.

oh and i grip train 3x a week after my work outs.

Edited by dog20

if you're tendons are hurting you need to rest, more experienced guys will be able to train more, but for someone just starting out 3 x a week is too much - plate pinch an plate wrist curl are a couple of great grip exercises you can do at any gym, also towel grip pull ups an deadlifts + if you have elastic bands lying around, use them for finger extensions (opening up the hand instead of closing it), these will help you're grippers an also give you less pain in the tendons

one thing to note with grippers is you should also have the 'dog leg' in the palm of the hand, this is the handle where the spring above is perfectly straight, the other side will be slightly curved - always have the dog leg in the palm or the gripper will be harder to close

good luck - welcome to the board

if you're tendons are hurting you need to rest, more experienced guys will be able to train more, but for someone just starting out 3 x a week is too much - plate pinch an plate wrist curl are a couple of great grip exercises you can do at any gym, also towel grip pull ups an deadlifts + if you have elastic bands lying around, use them for finger extensions (opening up the hand instead of closing it), these will help you're grippers an also give you less pain in the tendons

one thing to note with grippers is you should also have the 'dog leg' in the palm of the hand, this is the handle where the spring above is perfectly straight, the other side will be slightly curved - always have the dog leg in the palm or the gripper will be harder to close

good luck - welcome to the board

i saw a video on youtube explaining 'dog leg' the other day. i've been holding it wrong (the hard way). but when i try doing it 'dog leg', i have trouble wrapping my fingers around the gripper.

How do you have trouble dog leg side, but not the other? The spread doesn't change.

because my fingers don't wrap around it the same.

see, this is how i did it before:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/morg...07_10300008.jpg

and this is dog leg (right?)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/morgothaod/dog.jpg

i guess i could use my other hand to squeeze it some and then use my squeezing hand.

ps why wont the pics show up when i use the insert picture button?

Edited by dog20

GB doesn't support pics.

Can't tell which is the dogleg, but the positioning in the 2 photos is completely different, one is set far forward from your (probable) sweet spot than the other.

Neither one of those look like the dog leg, though I could be wrong. You're confusing dog leg with the first step in a MMS set, which is to put it on your sweet spot. The dog leg has to do with the spring.

Neither one of those look like the dog leg, though I could be wrong. You're confusing dog leg with the first step in a MMS set, which is to put it on your sweet spot. The dog leg has to do with the spring.

you're right! is this what you guys mean by dog leg?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/morgothaod/dog-1.jpg

Edited by dog20

Where the spring goes into the handle, you'll notice one 'leg' of the spring is straighter than the other. That is the dog leg.

When I first started training with grippers I used to do it at the end of regular workouts. My results were inconsistent because my hands would be tired from doing other stuff. You might want to try doing them during your workout, e.g. between sets of a pressing movement or squats, or training with them on a separate day altogether.

i still don't see what you guys are talking about! both sides look identical to me. is the "leg" the handle that is closer to you or further away? (maybe that doesn't make any sense because if you turn the gripper around the other leg will be closer... can you guys post a pic?

as for the towel grip, do i do it like a normal curl or a hammer curl?

The handles are those things which are shiny silver which you grab to close the gripper.

The spring is the curly thing on top which holds the 2 handles together.

if you follow the spring in the handles you will notice that one side of the spring has a "leg" which is more straight then the other one.

The handle which is attached to the straight leg (dog leg) is the one which you place against your thumbpad and the other handle you place on the finger side.

This means that the handle with the dog leg will be the static handle while the other handle will be the handle which moves.

I hope this makes sense ;)

It's subtle, but it's there.

To be honest, you're probably, and this is no disrespect to you, too early in your training to worry about stuff like this.

Pick up the gripper, get it comfy in your hand, and squeeze ther cr@p out of it, switch hands and repeat. Worry about the little stuff later.

Just make sure you don't hurt yourself in the meantime.

my left hand hurts, so i'm not gonna train my grip till it heals. i guess i'll just squeeze it both ways (switch the handles, and do whatever feels easiest).

while we are on the subject of dog legs - I find it easier to put the dog leg into the thumb pad for my right hand (normal way) but for my left hand I squeeze the gripper with the dog leg facing away (fingers side) - it seems to fit better in my left hand that way. :unsure

I was just curious to know if any one does this or do you use the dog leg facing the thumb pad for both hands?

this is crazy, they both look exactly the same. i think i got a defective gripper.

lol, that was my first thought as well when I first read about the dog leg.

Post a picture of both sides of your gripper (close enough to see the spring legs), I'm sure it won't be hard to tell you which is which.

If you're smart you'll mark one of the legs so you can always find the right one until you will 'learn' to view the difference yourself ;)