Bent A Shiny Bastard Today

wscorpion

last time I bent something was almost 2 months ago at the UK Champions of Steel.

In the mean time I did try a prekinked edgin once and finished it, but that's it.

Now today my shiny bastards came in from FBBC so I had to give those a try. Normally I can easily bend a huge bastard without warming up so I decided I could target this one as well without warming up. Man was I wrong!

It felt the same as the first red nail I've bent, a constant struggle and feeling like my fingers would break. Must admit that it also felt awkward to bend again after quite a long period, so that probably didn't help either, but these things are much stronger then I expected.

Respect for those guys who've bent the shorter versions, especially the crush down was a b1tch!

I got it under 2" within 5 minutes, but it wasn't a bend worth taping IMO....

I also tried a 6.5" but could only kink it to approx. 10 degrees just like an edgin at 6.5"....

I see I still have a long way to go before my bending gets to a level where I'm satisfied with it...

Will try to finish the 6.5" shiny tomorrow when I'm fit again, but I'm definitely going to do a decent warmup in advance since this is some really hard stuff ;)

Just wanted to share my experience :D

Well done. :rock Those are HARD. Did you feel it got too hard at the 2.5" inches?

Well done. :rock Those are HARD. Did you feel it got too hard at the 2.5" inches?

Definitely, it's way too springy IMO!

those shinys are insanely hard, struggling with those myself

Awesome bend, Mark!

Those are definitely not what I would call a "fun" bend.

Awesome bend, Mark!

Thanks Eric!

Have you calibrated one of the last stock already?

I'm wondering if these rate at 545lbs as well....

I felt this one was harder then the edgin for 95% of the bend, only the kink was easier....

Awesome bend, Mark!

Nice Job Mark!

I think they are fun. But I dont think thats normal :D

- Aaron

Awesome bend, Mark!

Thanks Eric!

I felt this one was harder then the edgin for 95% of the bend, only the kink was easier....

No, Mark, I've only calibrated the one from John's original batch. I've always found the last quarter inch of the Shiny to be bit tougher than the Edgin. You're welcome to send me one for calibration if you like.

Does your Edgin have the triangle stamped on the head? These are the only ones I've calibrated.

Awesome bend, Mark!

Thanks Eric!

No, Mark, I've only calibrated the one from John's original batch. I've always found the last quarter inch of the Shiny to be bit tougher than the Edgin. You're welcome to send me one for calibration if you like.

Does your Edgin have the triangle stamped on the head? These are the only ones I've calibrated.

Well in this case i've found that the shiny is easier on the kink, after that to approx. 100 degrees it's the same as the edgin, after that the shiny definitely wins IMO.

I don't have that many shiny's (only 11 left now), so I'll wait until the end of the week to decide whether I can send you one from this batch.

Normally whenever I had a couple of days of rest from bending the biggest bends come a few days after I started again.

Since the psychological block (can't do it) is gone now as well I expect a much better performance on those things before the end of the week.

Just took down another one as well and up to the 100 degrees it was actually quite a bit easier now, I could get it there in 3 movements, so I'm aiming for the 6.5" shiny tomorrow ;)

If I can get that one before the end of the week I'm not going to bother sending you one to calibrate since I will then be ordering a new batch soon of which I will send you one then.

If I can't get the 6.5" before the end of the week then I'll send you one from this batch since I won't be bending them that often then. I will then most likely be primarily focussing on 10mm HRS which I can buy in the local store here ;)

btw, my edgins have the triangle head as well.

Edited by White Scorpion

Awesome bend, Mark!

Nice Job Mark!

I think they are fun. But I dont think thats normal :D

- Aaron

I also think it's fun. When I first time completed the shiny I really felt the fun of bending. :D

Great work Mark they are tough and fun!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Nice job Mark, :rock I can only imagine how hard those are.

Nice bending Mark! :rock

Thanks!

Got the 6.5" to 80 degrees now, hopefully I will be able to finish it tomorrow :)

Thanks mate!

Didn't had the time to try yesterday or friday anymore, but the 6.5" is now at 75 degrees and I'm stuck ;)

It will fall soon. No problem for you.

Thanks mate!

Didn't had the time to try yesterday or friday anymore, but the 6.5" is now at 75 degrees and I'm stuck ;)

I certainly know that feeling Mark :blush. It will yield soon enough and after that you can call it FUN :blink:)

Thanks mate!

I certainly know that feeling Mark :blush. It will yield soon enough and after that you can call it FUN :blink:)

I'm sure I will ;)

The 7" isn't that much of a problem anymore. It's still hard, but definitely doable cert-wise.

Hardest thing on the 6.5" is the cooling down. It's taking a couple of days already which means that getting it started again is harder then a continuous bend.

Guess when this thing is under 2" I should be close pretty to bending it in one session ;)

Edited by White Scorpion

Funny thing Mark, I have been working on the 6" shiny and have finished one through weeks of Isos and still, today fell short of a full bend still, month after month. I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!!!! Not sure if this is "FUN" :blink:) Have FUN Man!!!! I'm rooting for ya :rock HMMM wonder if Franky beat me in this Huge Shiny Race.

Funny thing Mark, I have been working on the 6" shiny and have finished one through weeks of Isos and still, today fell short of a full bend still, month after month. I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!!!! Not sure if this is "FUN" :blink:) Have FUN Man!!!! I'm rooting for ya :rock HMMM wonder if Franky beat me in this Huge Shiny Race.

Sometimes, at least for me, a few days of total rest works great on setting a new PR ;)

Good luck on your quest, go get 'em! :rock

Mark

Nice work on the shiny its a nice fun bend especially the last 1/4inch i reckon your good for 6.5er :D

Alawadhi sent some of these to maxwell which are harder than the fbbc ones i had a play around with one yesterday sahure was fun :D