Weaverstick Wrist Curls

nightowl27

yesterday i tried some new movements in my grip routine. i first did the weaverstick wrist flexion and extension with the head of the hammer pointing forward ( hammer paralell to the ground and arm vertical pointing to the floor).

after this, i tried the same but with the hammer pointing behind me.when i now flexed and extended m wrist, i got a little pain in my wrist on the ulnar side and heard also a crackling sound of my wrist. does anyone know, why this happenes? is it because of an imbalance of force between radial(weaker side) and urnal deviation?

the exercise with the hammer pointing forward is really comfortable to me but what is wrong with the other side?

thanks for your replies....

Edited by nightowl27

The movement pulls the bones apart. When done heavy it's the only grip event you are allowed to strap the wrist for.

thanks a lot for your reply.some more questions....

is it really necessary to do this movement?

the weaverstickwristcurls with the head pointing forward is imo very practically because i can save time by combining three movements( flexion,extension,radial deviation).

so if it isn´t really necessary to work the movement with the head facing backwards i´ll just leave it out.

i already said that my urnal deviation is four times as strong as the radial deviation. and on my left wrist, the point between handbone and urnal is a bit turgid. there´s no pain when i´m applieing pressure but when i rotate my wrist with an extreme rom, similar to the movement described above(but additional to flexion and extension urnal deviation/not only static),i have a pain there. is this possible because of my unbalanced strength of radial and urnal side?

i hope i could explain everything comprehensible....

no one has an idea???

Hi Hugo,

here´s a picture: http://www.mothernature.com/images/library...ond/Care-1b.GIF

The difference is, that i do the wrist curl with an axe shaft with weight on just one side. i hold the axe(which is horizontal) on the end where is no weight . the side where the weight is fixed is on my littlefinger side. So i have a static urnal load. now i try to do a wrist curl and then a reverse wrist curl. then it hurts at the ulnar side.

perhaps you try it one time with a light weight...

Hi Pierre!

Thanks for the pic!

U have probably an injury or a weak link;

"One quick solution for preventing (prehab) or eliminating (rehab) these issues is a simple sledge hammer. You could start with a 6 lb or 8 lb sledge. Fix your arm at a 90 degree angle against your torso and grasp the sledge hammer handle. Dependent upon your strength and the severity of the injury – you will need to grasp the handle closer or further away from the sledge hammer head. You can use athletic tape on the handle to measure your progress. Start performing supination and pronation movements.

while consideration your own biomechanics and injury limitations. Repeat for sets of 15 – 20 repetitions. This exercise should be used as prehab and rehab – which means you will continue to do it as a conditioning tool even after your injury / inflammation is no longer present. 08/11/2005 8 Armwrestling – Pulling Big III 1:35:05 PM www.DieselCrew.com Leaders in Grip Strength"

MORE:

CONTRAST BATHS WITH GOLF BALL ROTATIONS:

"The contrast of hot-cold baths creates a pumping of the blood in and out of the submerged body part(s). Blood vessels dilate in the heat and constrict in the cold. The cold component: the immediate response is vasoconstriction (decreased size) of the blood vessels in the skin and reduction of blood flow which will assist in helping to decrease the swelling, inflammation and pain. The hot component: heating an area is also associated with an increased blood flow to the area. With increased blood in the injured area, nutrients are delivered and wastes are carried away from the area more effectively and has also been shown to decrease pain and to help reduce muscle spasms. Contrast baths are very effective in treating carpal tunnel syndromes and hand / forearm tendonitis. Get yourself 2 – 5 gallons buckets. Fill the first bucket with ¾ full of water and dump massive quantities of ice in it. The other bucket you want to fill about ½ full with water and then fill it the rest of the way with boiling water from the stove. Take your golf balls and submerge your hand in the hot water bucket and rotate the golf balls clockwise (CW) and counter clockwise (CCW). Do this for about 1 minute then switch to the ice bucket and repeat the golf ball rotations. Go back and forth between buckets for approximately 15 minutes. Keep your hand in each bucket for about 30 seconds each. We will discuss more advanced techniques in our upcoming Elbow Rehab eBook on the DieselCrew.com site"

best of luck:-)

HI Hugo,

thanks a lot for your great reply, I´ll try this exercises this evening. i already noticed that i have to train and not to rest like the doc suggested. perhaps i´ll do the pronation and supination with my extended arm in front of me,because i have more range of motion like with an 90 degree angle.

I´ll also check out the dieselcrew site again.

thanks a lot and best wishes to you.

Hi Hugo,

here´s a picture: http://www.mothernature.com/images/library...ond/Care-1b.GIF

The difference is, that i do the wrist curl with an axe shaft with weight on just one side. i hold the axe(which is horizontal) on the end where is no weight . the side where the weight is fixed is on my littlefinger side. So i have a static urnal load. now i try to do a wrist curl and then a reverse wrist curl. then it hurts at the ulnar side.

perhaps you try it one time with a light weight...

Is that a pic of a standing forward wrist curl or some made up variation of the weaver stick movement?? Either way a phrase in an earlier post 'to an extreme range of motion' - stands out. Why such a range?? It seems obvious if it's the range which causes the pain and said range is not required then don't do it.

@steve: i first had to explain which exercise i mean by weaverstickwrist curls and because i didn´t found a pic of it, i took this one and gave an additional explaination to it , to describe the weaverstick exercise.

the pain if i ROTATE my wrist with a maximum range of motion occurs if i do it without any weight!

this is a movement where i´m thinking that it has to work without pain because it seems to me quite natural.this is the reason why i don´t think about letting it be. btw,i don´t do it regularly but i think something is wrong when i can´t do it painfree!

these are two cases where i feel pain at the same spot! the first one (weaverstick wrist curl) is the one i of course won´t do anymore because here the stress on the wrist is clearly higher than with the second movement.

i hope now it was clear to understand!

Edited by nightowl27

If I do then I have to say 1) that there is no actual exercise as weaver stick wrist curls - it's just wrist curls OR weaver stick 2) Stop doing it - it's not right and it's damaging your joint. Do both but not at the same time.

Weaver stick is down to the rear or the front but not to the side. This photo shows Arne competing in the weaver stick lift to the rear at the IG 2003. In competition you are allowed some body lean but should avoid this during training. Just flexing the wrist is enough. Note the wrapped wrist.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1310/image53ry0.jpg

thanks for your reply, i really appreciate the words you say but i didn´t invent this exercise myself.

i have the bending ebook from the dieselcrew,think jedd has written it, and there is this exercise explained.

it´s suggested to be a combination of wrist flexion/extension and radial or urnal deviation. the urnal or radial load is only static.

this means, i only extend or bend the wrist while holding the axe,sledge or weaver stick horizontal. it´s not suggested to flex/extend and move radial or urnal at one time!

perhaps i haven´t explained everything correct . perhaps it´s my fault and not the exercise???

No you're ok - the more info we explain the better I get it. There are a bunch of leverage exercises including side lever with short bar which is what you now seem to be doing.

I still think the extreme range of motion making the pain is something you need to take note of. If it hurts then you are 1) doing it wrong or 2) it just doesn't suit you. Email Jedd or Smitty and ask them if they have another suggestion which works as well but does not hurt.

I´m happy that i could one day describe it understandable....

because it´s only if i combine urnal deviation and flexion/extension and the "normal" movement of circling my wrists feels also painful at the same spot, i think that it´s a kind of injury i have .

i had a blockade of the thumbsaddlejoint(i hope you understand this too and the translation is right :) ) and perhaps this created another kind of weak point in my wrist.

i couldn´t extend my wrist for some month but have cured this now myself.

now there´s only a little pain left on the ulnar side which seems to go away(related to the circling of my wrist).

i don´t wonder that an exercise that is harder on my wrist(weaverstick flexion/extension) does feel more painful.

if the pain is 100% away while circling the hands, it should perhaps go away on this exercise ,too.

just a matter of time.

my main question was also what to do against the pain. i took this exercise as an example because i thought somebody might have experienced the same.

Edited by nightowl27