Thomas Inch Dumbbell

ttmett2001@yahoo.com

Whats the difference with a Thomas inch dumbbell and a thick grip say 3'' thick dumbbell loaded with the same amount of weight? Is there a difference in lifting them even though the 3'' grip is bigger but they have the same weight.

Only a solid bell would act like the Inch. Loadable bells just don't rotate like the Inch bells, they just don't. It's because most loadables are incapable of having the weights locked down tightly enough to act as one piece because there is sometimes(depending on the DB and plates) a small space between the plates and the loading surface. So the loadable's plates would wiggle and counteract their own torque, it also could give the loadable a lower center of gravity when the center of the plates rest lower than the center of the DB. This topic has been brought up ALOT but that's because it's sometimes hard for people to wrap their minds around how a loadable thick DB would be easier to lift than the Inch, even when heavier.

BTW, taking a 2.5" knurless DB, loading it to 172 and welding the plates to the handle to make it solid would work pretty well. It just wouldn't have globed ends which some say also make the Inch harder.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

The Inch is magic. Mental power is required.

True words... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Oh yeah?... if that's true - David Copperfield would be the king-stud of thick bar lifts -- and I seriously doubt he could budge one. So there goes your theory! ;)

So there goes your theory! ;)

...............................0=0

Oooohhmmmmm.....0=0

Are You sure John? :D

If the weight is held tight so it doesn't spin seperately from the handle, and the handle is the same thickness, you got the same lift, without the name, at least I'm guessing since I've never touched the inch and wouldn't budge it if I did.

Almost. The space between plates etc would make the physical property of the bell feel different. Example: I did some lifting of thick handled dumbbells today. Started with the short thick handled 53-kilo, then the Inch, the the 97-kilo and then the 103-kilo Millennium. The Millennium, a longer bell, was easier than the 97-kilo bell. Mostly cos I can tilt it more.