Tried the rt for the first time tonight

Guest mg6680

Guest mg6680

I got my RT today and gave it a whirl.  All my lifting has been done with olympic bars so I wasn't to sure what to expect.  I managed to get 197.5 lbs up and didn't have any desire to do it again (at least for tonight).

I was a bit unsure of the mechanics of the lift so I checked out the cool UK grip site.  A good photo and description but I wasnt sure on the limit for feet width or if I could simply straighten out my arms and lift with my legs?  I tried it both ways and it was much easier if I just lifted with my legs.  When I used my back and legs it put a lot of pressure on my back - are belts allowed?

I did figure one thing out though - those of you pulling over 200, let alone close to 300 - #### good job!  I can almost touch my fingers around the RT and weight 265lbs so that might help me out.

There is a RT competition in April in my area and I want to give it a shot, so if any of you RT Freaks want to pass a few training tips I'd appreciate it.

Morgan

Guest Mikael Siversson

If you are pulling almost 200 lbs on your first try you don't need any tips, you should give us tips. That is a big lift. Big hands make the lift easier but even so, 200 lbs is a lot of weight. The most I have seen anyone pull on the RT the first time they tried it is Kalle Lane who did 209 lbs in very strict style with the palm facing the body (makes the lift more difficult than if you keep it at a 90 degree angle, which means the little finger is closest to your body) and a full two second stop at look out position. Like you he is a big man (280 lbs).

Hello Morgan,Are you from Wales,If so which part,give us some more info on the RT comp in your area,in April!

200lbs RT and 265 bodyweight,looks like another Chris James in the makeing!

Guest mg6680

I am no where near the strength of most of you on the board (esp C.James).  I think my long fingers and bodyweight just helped me on the lift.  I live in the Pacific Northwest, USA.  Sounds like Wales has quite a few strength athletes?

Anyway, a friend started a small RT competition in Oregon last year.  The winning lift was by a 22yr old kid who lifted 188lbs (by the way this kid totalled over 2000 when he was 21 and has squatted 854lbs in comp).

The competition is going to be in Kent, Washington during a large powerlifting meet.  The owner of Monster Muscle Mag is sponsering it so if anyone wants there picture in the mag you should go win it.

Ill post the info on the board for those who might not read this thread.

mg,

You've been holding out on us!!  :angry:

200 pounds on the RT is a great lift!  What other lifts do you do, and how long have you been training?  Thick bar stuff works the grip very nicely, so stick to it if you're that good at it!!  :)

Guest mg6680

I've been lifting weights for most of my life (32now).  I'm no grip king like a lot here (still got 3/4" left on the 3), but I'm working on that (this site motivates me to train now).  I haven't really tried any other lifts, but will work on them.  A buddy of mine has a 22" lathe in his shop so I'm gonna have a 3" and a 3.5" RT made in a month or so.  I figure if I train on a 3+" RT itll improve my normal RT Lift?

I noticed the RT puts a lot of strain on the middle/ring fingers.  The softball I made stresses the hand in the same way.  Will that help my RT lift?  What other things will help my RT lift, I want to improve that.  The best (I told anyhow) in the northwest is 226lbs - I want to beat it.