Go-really-grip Machines

Rick Walker

I had the machine shop at work make a grip machin similar to that of the Go-Really-Grip machine IM sells. Since my guys can't have access to grippers, I was curious if anyone could give me a good comparison?

IM says there is around a 3 to 1 ratio? Have others noticed this? Meaning, if a guy can close, from the hand completely open position, around 95 pounds, is he close to CC'ing or TNS'ing a #3????

I have never really used these things so I am in the dark with this, but they get Ironmind catalogues, etc. and are curious. The only info I could give them is I tried the machine, and I could do 6 full reps, hand almost open to handles close, with 70 pounds. I have never TNS'd or CC'd a #3.

Thanks for any help!

Its hard to say Rick - I've used my G-Rex pretty extensively, but have never compared it to grippers. The grip machines are "very" easy to cheat on by adding body english or hitching some. Imo, a guy will develop better overall hand strength with a grip machine because the weight is the same throughout the entire range. Try wrapping a band around the base a few times to really make the upper end tough - works great. I can no set most of my #3's right now - I'll work with the G-Rex some and see how I compare to you. So, how are you starting? First knuckle joints around the bar? Fingertips?

Bracing the hand with the thigh is a great way to train to help avoid cheating. You will cheat without meaning to when the weight gets heavy. I started bracing my hand on every set and my weights dropped. I agree with Morgan with the overall strength. There is no soft spot or squishy place on a machine, the weight is there the whole way.

Bracing the hand with the thigh is a great way to train to help avoid cheating.

Thanks - gonna try that. You're referring to placing the knees up against the hands right? I'll have to get some blocks out as the G-Rex is pretty tall.

Edited by maidenfan

That makes me feel better, I only do puny weights on the go-really, haven't tried a single hand close in a while, I usually work with two hands.

Jon@han

Yeah, I should have put knee, long week................

Good info.

Heath- any comparisons from you as to weight on the machine versus gripper number?I have noticed the guys cheating some by pulling up with the arms. I have them combat this by pushing their bodyweight down into the machine with their arm and then squeezing, thus preventing them from pulling up. Also, I had them stand further away from the machine which put them out of position to cheat.

So, how are you starting? First knuckle joints around the bar?

Yes. And, I might add that I havent done any form of grip work since 2005, and after only 2 sets with 70 pounds with each hand my forearms are sore today.

Thanks!

Standing away from the machine is a great way to prevent cheating. When I push down with my bodyweight, after awhile I got wrist pain, never did with the knee on the hand or standing off of it. As for a comparision, I honestly never really tested or gave the machine long enough. I noticed that setting was a lot easier with big grippers and my sweep was stronger. I have not trained in quite awhile and I would have to go back and check my log to see if anything jumps out.

Heath- any comparisons from you as to weight on the machine versus gripper number?I have noticed the guys cheating some by pulling up with the arms. I have them combat this by pushing their bodyweight down into the machine with their arm and then squeezing, thus preventing them from pulling up. Also, I had them stand further away from the machine which put them out of position to cheat.

Rick,

As a guy that owns and uses several different grip machines, I can tell you just use as much weight as you can control and then go from there. The only real way to prevent "cheating" is to use MORE WEIGHT on the machine. Think of a grip machine as heavy squats for your hands; you can even have them stand on the weights (if they can), so you'll not only use the weight on the machine but also BW - you only do this as a pure overload and NEVER as reps.

The grip machine you'll want to build is one where the bars come completely together and one where you can put whatever weight plates you want on it (read: 45 lb. plates) and tall enough to where you can load several of them onto it - that and when you want to do the overloads, just stand on it with your own BW. My overload PR is 440 pounds, if you were wondering.... :)

Rick,

As a guy that owns and uses several different grip machines, I can tell you just use as much weight as you can control and then go from there. The only real way to prevent "cheating" is to use MORE WEIGHT on the machine. Think of a grip machine as heavy squats for your hands; you can even have them stand on the weights (if they can), so you'll not only use the weight on the machine but also BW - you only do this as a pure overload and NEVER as reps.

The grip machine you'll want to build is one where the bars come completely together and one where you can put whatever weight plates you want on it (read: 45 lb. plates) and tall enough to where you can load several of them onto it - that and when you want to do the overloads, just stand on it with your own BW. My overload PR is 440 pounds, if you were wondering.... :)

Indeed!! You have to load the gripmachine very heavy - to feel the pain! :rock :rock :rock

Has anybody tried to solder a loading pin to the handle of a gripper at approx

the middle? You would have to hold it at your side for optimum use but

it would be a lot cheaper than the $300 for the go-really-grip machine.

Just a thought, folks. Once again, everybody may be a doin' it but me. :rock

Heath-thanks! I never thought of it carrying a potential to hurt wrists, I will have them stand away or brace with their knees.

John- The machine is big enough for multiple 45s, or even 100s. The handles come completely together as well. The down side is they didnt put anything on the bottom of the machine, so if you don't watch your feet, you are going to lose some toes!

I have had them do some overloads by standing on it already. I have them shut it with 2 hands, then step up onto it and hold it as long as they can.

Since most of them will never see a gripper (out of 22 I have 12 that will never get out), I am more interested in them doing reps and increasing total hand strength to carry over to powerlifting. However, it is still good for moral if I can tell them they are handling enough weight to close a #2, #3, or more.

Thanks again-

Has anybody tried to solder a loading pin to the handle of a gripper at approx

the middle? You would have to hold it at your side for optimum use but

it would be a lot cheaper than the $300 for the go-really-grip machine.

Just a thought, folks. Once again, everybody may be a doin' it but me. :rock

good thought but we tied a nylone rope in the center and added weight it rubs your fingers raw maybe in the end of the gripper if you drill into it but i didnt want to ruin a gripper

... I am more interested in them doing reps and increasing total hand strength to carry over to powerlifting. However, it is still good for moral if I can tell them they are handling enough weight to close a #2, #3, or more.

Exactly. The real beauty of using a grip machine is you can VARY the resistance to whatever you want to work on as well as your individual level of strength at the time. Low amount of weight for reps, high amount of weight for overloads - whatever you want to train them with. You can even hold grip machine contests, like - who can hold the most weight w/two hands, most weight per pound of BW, most one-handed, most reps at a certain poundage, longest hold for time, etc. - you get the idea. :D

Couple things-

First, I used this machine 4 days this past week and I cannot believe how sore my arms are from the elbow to the tips of my fingers. As per John's reccomendation, I did some overloads Saturday with it after my rep work. I basically do a set of 20 full reps with each hand with 45 pounds, then 3 sets of 6-8 full reps with each hand with 70, then overloads with 115 on with me (240) standing on the machine for 3 sets with both hands, then overloads with 115 with 1 hand for 3 sets, then a "cool" down set of 20 reps with 45 and 1 hand again.

Second, you have to be very careful with this machine because the spread is huge on it. It is at least 3" past where my hand would be fully open, this means if I lose my grip it is going to tear my hand open and probably hurt me. I witnessed this a couple times when some overzealous powerlifters closed it with 2 hands, then stepped up onto it only to have it open their hands QUICKLY. No one got hurt, but the potential is there.

This machine and the competition between me and the guys has sparked my grip interest a little bit again. What that means, I don't know, but using the machine is fun.

I'm not sure if you can do it with the "Go-Really", but I just built myself some wooden blocks/spacers to adjust the handle width on the G-Rex.

I guess the machine I had built is more like the G-Rex then the IM one. It is tall, can hold plenty of 45s or 100s, and you have plenty of room to stand on it. It just doesnt have the pinch or gripper handle attachments on it.

If its opening too far, maybe you can reduce the range by closing it a little and then sliding plates under it - if I'm envisioning it right. Good luck Rick

... this means if I lose my grip it is going to tear my hand open and probably hurt me. I witnessed this a couple times when some overzealous powerlifters closed it with 2 hands, then stepped up onto it only to have it open their hands QUICKLY. No one got hurt, but the potential is there.

The potential for hurting yourself doing overloads is DEFINITELY there, so watch out for that. Mainly, ego and thinking that your grip is a lot stronger than it actually is fuels this drive; yes, it can be dangerous. BTW, I like your routine Rick - now you know why I love working with grip machines! :D The grip machine I could recommend to you to that is "kinda" like the Go-Really is the BB grip machine -- GET IT if you can.