Some Coc Questions For The Experts

gripn00b

OK, so I got my first COC in- the "Sport" (Yes, I am a total beginner)

I think I'm pretty undergunned with it as I closed it easily and was able to do 20-30 reps without any real history of grip training (save for recent use of Gripmasters) or substantial effort, so I'll be ordering the #1 and #1.5 next.

Questions:

1) I opened two sores on my hands using it, due to the very aggressive grip surface. Does it diminish my training in any way if I use bandaids on the parts of my fingers that are prone to "wear" when using the COC?

2) Is it of any training advantage for me to keep this particular gripper once I've moved beyond it or is it OK to sell/trade them once you've moved past them? Like, do you guys who regularly close your 2's and 2.5's ever find yourselves going back to your 1's for any reason?

3) I have freakishly small pinky fingers and pretty small thumbs. Does this sort of thing entirely preclude someone from ever getting to the #3 level? (guess I can't post pics)

Thanks for any help. This grip stuff is insanely addictive :rock

Edited by GRIPn00b

Im not an expert put I'l answer 1 and 2 from my own experience.

Bandaids never hold up for me during a workout. Athletic or some electrical tape works great. It hasn't dimished my training at all whenever I've used tape.

I can close a 2.5 but still use my T and #1 for warmups. A gripper you can close easily is always good for warmups.

I doubt your finger is too small that you couldn't close something with a set. If you can close your sport then I think you have big enough fingers to (with work, of course) close the #3, at least with a set. Plus, if need be you can close it with three fingers :) .

Not saying you aren't at a disadvantage, but it isn't impossible.

Your hands will toughen up too. I remember the first few weeks and my hands felt like they were being rubbed raw. I don't even feel it now. You could put athletic tape around the handle like JS27 said.

With your sport you could do 2 finger closes with it, especially inverted and work your pinky and ring finger. I'm closing the 2.5 for a few reps and I use my trainer all the time.

1) Personaly I llike duct tape, whenever I tear something if it interfeers with my training i just put duct tape over it and get on with the training. works perfectly and i don't skip a beat.

2) I can close the #2 once, hopping to add reps to it soon, i'm to the point where the T is getting way too easy to be of any good but untill recently i still used it for warmup. I would say keep one gripper for warmup, one gripper for reps and one as a target gripper. So for me The trainer is almost out of the way but i'll sure as heck keep my n.1 for warming up. you can seriously injure yourself if you don't warmup properly. grippers are fun but their not toys, theirs serious training equipment, treat them like a loaded barbell.

3) It could get in your way for a credit card certification, but should be fine for training with a paralell set wich is the bread and butter of training.

I think they always will have a use. To me quality is as important as strength when it comes to how often I use them.

I'm no expert but I have experience with a gripper which must count for something.

1. I put heat-shrink tubing on my handles (both at first) but later removed the one I place in my palm (my palm toughened up after a few months). The tubing loosened a bit over time and now slides as I close the gripper allowing my fingers to avoid any skin tearing. I've heard of folks using electrical tape also.

I created a gallery and put a pic up if you want to see it. heat-shrink covered gripper

2. I think having an easy gripper is a good thing. You can use it for warm-ups, over-crushes, holds and for less than 4 finger closes like Powerhouse mentioned. I only have a #2 and wish I had an easier gripper when I started out (I might have progressed faster).

3. Hand size discussion is a popular topic but I think most agree that hard work will overcome any deficit nature has given you. Good luck! :)

If you aren't doing them already try deadlifts with no gloves or straps. If the bar you are using has some decent knurling on it your hands should toughen up in no time.

It could get in your way for a credit card certification, but should be fine for training with a paralell set wich is the bread and butter of training.

Joaorv, the parallel set may be the "bread and butter of training" for you, but not for everyone. Some prefer a wider set. YMMV.

Edited by odin

I'd keep it, you never know when you might need it, for example for (God forbid) rehab after injury.

3. Hand size discussion is a popular topic but I think most agree that hard work will overcome any deficit nature has given you. Good luck! :)
It's a common topic, I wouldn't exactly say it was popular!

Answers:

1. I used to add electrical tape to the finger-side handle of the CoC grippers because it felt too rough for me, but that's because I didn't even lift weights or anything when I started. Eventually the hands toughened up a bit and now there is no need. The Beef Builder grippers felt like knives for me at first, so painful... but now they are OK as well. It might take months, but you'll get used to it.

2. Yes, it's an advantage to keep "easy" grippers, because you can train 2-fingers at a time with them, top two fingers, bottom two fingers, warmups, whatever. Or, as Brookfield suggested in a tip, hand it from a string and explosively closing it in a quick move with your arm/hand.

3. It's best not to complain about handsize in here! :D

. The Beef Builder grippers felt like knives for me at first, so painful... but now they are OK as well. It might take months, but you'll get used to it.

I like the sharp knurling of the RB grippers. Sharper=better for me, the gripper isn't going to slip.

Like the others have said, having an "easy" gripper is great when you get stronger as you can use them for training individual fingers. Also they're good for repping the hell out of just for a good old forearm burn. Plus when you get further down the line you'll need a gripper you can close fairly easy to do strpholds on.

As for the knurling on the grippers, your hand will toughen up very quickly and after a while you'll not notice the sharp feeling of it so much. Using tape on the gripper is a good way to make your hands less sore but you'll lose a bit of grip on the handles and if you hands really start to sweat then you'll have a nightmare as chalk wont work on duct tape. If after a month your hands still feel sore on the knurling you could take a very light grade sandpaper and lightly rub the knurling down...Just don't over do it or you'll ruin all the knurling.

Good luck with your training ;)

It is a mistake to smoothen the knurling. Any man's hands will toughen up for the grippers eventually. After some time you'll think that the sharper, the better.

Edited by Teemu I

It could get in your way for a credit card certification, but should be fine for training with a paralell set wich is the bread and butter of training.

Joaorv, the parallel set may be the "bread and butter of training" for you, but not for everyone. Some prefer a wider set. YMMV.

Fair enough. was just thinking that the mash monster set is also like that.

True, but it is good to do some wider ones also. Otherwise, it is almost like just doing partial reps in any other strength-building movement. If you're trying to get stronger hands overall, strength developed on grippers doesn't generalize to other grip-related feats very well. Grippers are better for demonstrating strength than they are for building it (except for grippers themselves).

Some people train only grippers and end up either stale or injured after a few weeks or months, so I'm going to include a few links that may help you out.

First Workout For Beginners, Gain a strength base with no injuries, by grip legend David Horne

Block weights/blobs are great way to build your overall hand strength.

Extensor work will help you prevent injuries. Also, you may find that the harder you work your extensors, the faster your "normal" gripping activities improve.

Edited by odin

True, but it is good to do some wider ones also. Otherwise, it is almost like just doing partial reps in any other strength-building movement. If you're trying to get stronger hands overall, strength developed on grippers doesn't generalize to other grip-related feats very well. Grippers are better for demonstrating strength than they are for building it (except for grippers themselves).

Yep, I like to do a lot of open hand stuff. I have the fat leverage bar and fat wrist roller from ironmind, also got the rolling thunder, pinch block etc. I love those open hand exercises, gives a whole diferent feeling than the short stroke of the gripper.

It is a mistake to smoothen the knurling. Any man's hands will toughen up for the grippers eventually. After some time you'll think that the sharper, the better.

Sorry, but I'm not a pain slut and I HATE SHARP KNURLING!!! :angry: Why subject yourself to unnecessary pain if you don't have to? That doesn't make any sense to me; anyhow, I use a small spongy sandblock to take out the sharpness and it seems to work for me.

Sorry, but I'm not a pain slut and I HATE SHARP KNURLING!!! :angry: Why subject yourself to unnecessary pain if you don't have to? That doesn't make any sense to me; anyhow, I use a small spongy sandblock to take out the sharpness and it seems to work for me.

Pain? There's no pain at all after some time, which was my point. I would love my #4 to have a sharper knurling. I don't want any slipping on the bigger grippers.

Seems to work for you in what way? As in staying on the comfort zone or helping you to close bigger grippers?

Besides I'm trying to see the bigger picture here. I'd be pissed now, if I had done that to my grippers as I started. If you have to use something to make it feel more comfortable tape is far better as it's not permanent.