Who's Best On The Gr8 #4?

lloyd80s

I've been watching lots of people on youtube doing their max on the #4. Most videos show some awsome power by many of the guys here on the board..Clay, Wes, Temmu, Pete and many more. What I've found though is that most attempts are on older #4s or in chokers.

I'm interested in finding out who has got nearest to closing a NEW GR8 #4. I also think I'd be intersting for you guys to post who you think will be the first to cert on a GR8 #4. I think a vote was done about 6 months ago but people have been improving so much this year I think opinions may have changed.

I think Temmu in particular has really shown this year that he's very near the top of the tree, his #3.5 reps video was shockingly good. martin Arildsons #3.5 close on youtube is also mighty impressive. Then you have Wes with the choked #4, another great close. Also does anybody know if the #4 in Clays close was calibrated?? It's a massive close either way. Pete has also shown that he's gunning down gripper after gripper and who knows when he'll stop? As he's from Surrey I'm in constant mind that someone that lives very close to me has a much better grip! MUST TRY HARDER :blush

At the moment what is the nearest to a GR8 close on video?

Anyway for me, I think first GR8 cert will be held by Temmu and my opinion is base on the fact that he seems to be constantly improving and focused on killing the next goal gripper.

Good luck to everyone that aims to take the GR8 #4 down!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lloyd80s

• Teemu I

• jad

• acorn

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nothing special about a GR8 #4. Some are monsters, some aren't, just like every other year.

This is just a wild statement, but Patrick seems determined to get as strong and stronger than he was before.. and he was closing #4's before... so that says something. I think he's working towards a #3.5 TNS (according to that thread in the Workout log) and will get it still in 2007 for sure, I want to see a video of that, would be great. :rock

Wes is my other pick to close the #4.

There's nothing special about a GR8 #4. Some are monsters, some aren't, just like every other year.

Jad, there's something VERY special about the GR8 #4.......nobody has certed on one and everyone the uses grippers would love to be able to close one.

This is just a wild statement, but Patrick seems determined to get as strong and stronger than he was before.. and he was closing #4's before... so that says something. I think he's working towards a #3.5 TNS (according to that thread in the Workout log) and will get it still in 2007 for sure, I want to see a video of that, would be great. :rock

Wes is my other pick to close the #4.

I agree the Wes is well up there with the best and must be getting close to a GR8 close.

Does anybody have any new videos of Gr8 #4 close attempts? It'd be great to see who's getting nearest.

Jad, there's something VERY special about the GR8 #4.......nobody has certed on one and everyone the uses grippers would love to be able to close one.

No one has closed an old 4 with a CCS either. Kinney's close was wide enough I think, but other than that, the old 4's have all been closed with a deep set. I have tried several new GR8 #4's and as Josh said, they vary just like the rest. I have an old 2000-2001 #4, you know one the easy ones, that no one will ever close, no GR8 I have tried is anything like it and I have tried more that are like that during that stretch than I have tried easy ones during that stretch. Even though they are new and improved they are still all over the map.

Nobody has certed on one because of the silly CCS rule. The mythical GR8 spring has nothing to do with it. Teemu said himself the 3.5 he got out of the package was "easy". Was that not a GR8 spring? Don't you think the same thing could happen with a GR8 #4?

I'll echo what Heath is saying in that I gave my brother my 1st #4 which was 2003-2004, NOT a GR8 and it was insanely hard. Prior to seasoning/"footstomping" I could barely set it and could barely chest crush it (I couldn't do it everytime). Just as a reference, I was benching in the high 300's, raw. Although much easier now, I'd still be shocked if anyone could close it.

Nobody has certed on one because of the silly CCS rule. The mythical GR8 spring has nothing to do with it. Teemu said himself the 3.5 he got out of the package was "easy". Was that not a GR8 spring? Don't you think the same thing could happen with a GR8 #4?

Excactly. Old or new, they vary. There's a LOT of variation, calibration results on the newest #4's vary from 3,90 to 4,30. That's just of those I know. Spreads vary a lot too, from really comfortable to really wide and awkward.

Also the #3.5 I closed out of the package was the easiest of the #3.5's I've tried this far, as I said when I posted the video. Thanks for the nice words, I've had a good year, but honestly I'm not anywhere near the #4. Also every bit of progress requires a lot more hard work these days and you can't predict these things.

Edited by Teemu I

It may happen with a GR8 #4 but enough of the top guys have tried the GR8 #4 and it's not happend yet. You can bet your last $ that the second a guy CCS's a GR8 #4 we will all be watching the video in amazment, even if it is seen as "an easy #4".

This thread is going slightly off of my main point- Of all people that have tried GR8 #4 who has got the nearest to a cert close and who has the best close on video?

Do any of you guys that are working on the GR8 #4 have any new videos?? Or would you like to add some new videos of your progress? It's always great to see people getting nearer.

It may happen with a GR8 #4 but enough of the top guys have tried the GR8 #4 and it's not happend yet. You can bet your last $ that the second a guy CCS's a GR8 #4 we will all be watching the video in amazment, even if it is seen as "an easy #4".

This thread is going slightly off of my main point- Of all people that have tried GR8 #4 who has got the nearest to a cert close and who has the best close on video?

Do any of you guys that are working on the GR8 #4 have any new videos?? Or would you like to add some new videos of your progress? It's always great to see people getting nearer.

I'd be amazed if anybody CCS ANY#4, "easy" or not.

So are most people here of the opinion that a GR8 #4 cert will never be done? I think it will be done someday but it's going to take a beast to do it.

Also who at the moment is closest to it?

So are most people here of the opinion that a GR8 #4 cert will never be done? I think it will be done someday but it's going to take a beast to do it.

Also who at the moment is closest to it?

Same as with any gripper event; my money is on Dave Morton

Yeah Dave would be a good bet as he's just smashed his way up the MM ladder but is he training for the #4? Also how close has Dave on the #4 cert wise?

Also after seeing Clays old #4 close video does anyone know how far away he is from a cert?

Martin Arrildson made the #3.5 look pretty easy, how's he doing on the #4?

Dave, Martin, Wes, or Woodall.

Err just checking youtube again and Patrick4455s just added a #3.5CCS video!! Mad power.....better put him on the #4 contender list :rock

Yeah Dave would be a good bet as he's just smashed his way up the MM ladder but is he training for the #4? Also how close has Dave on the #4 cert wise?

Also after seeing Clays old #4 close video does anyone know how far away he is from a cert?

Uhh, Dave already certed on the #4 in 2003.

He had an injured wrist that was keeping him from doing amost anything grip related. As far as I know his training priority is strongman and he's not spending much time on grip at all.

It would be interesting to see any new #4 attempt from Dave. In his Gripperhell blog he posted a recent MM6 replica close. :blink

Edited by Cannon

I haven't tried a GR8 #4, so I don't know how far away I am on one of those. I haven't trained grip especially much this year, so there isn't much new for me to share with you guys. :blush

Uhh, Dave already certed on the #4 in 2003.

I know, in this thread I'm refering to a new GR8 #4 with a CCS.

Come on, all you guys that have closed a #3.5, if you've got a GR8 #4, how far away are you from a CCS? Are we talking a few mm or cms? Vids of your efforts are inspiring for everybody else that's still working on the #1, #2 and #3.

Will a new GR8 #4 cert ever happen?

Also what's the chance of Ironmind making a #4.5 once the first new cert is done?? :blink

Thanks for even a mention in this thread, but i'm many years away from achieving this kind of feat. I haven't even started using the no.4 for negs in my training yet. Once i've mastered the 3.5 (prob about 6 months time) i'll have my eyes set to the no.4.

I reckon the CCS of the GR8 #4 is definately possible, its just a case of persistance with the training, its got to come from a guy that doesn't want to give up on that goal.

I remember emailing Strossen a while ago about the possibility of like a gripper harder than the #4, but the reply was a simple no, there simply isn't enough people that would buy one in order to put them into production. If in 40 years however when there are maybe 20 guys who have CCS'd the #4, they might consider it?