Getting Back Into Du Bending

pdfk20

Hey all,

I did a fair bit of DU training back between January and April of this year ( like 2-3 times a week) and managed to get up to a 5" G5, and could put a micro kink in a G8. But at this stage i hit a wall and couldn't gain any more strength, also around this time i was finding i was getting nasty blisters on the hands where i was putting excessive pressure from the bends, so just kind of packed it in.

Since then i have maybe done some bending once a month, up until a couple of days ago where i had a session after a grip workout, and i decided to use double wraps (my leather ones plus the IM wraps) i found it painless and something sparked inside of me. Bent the G5 6" then and got the urge to do it again. Tonight i did 4 bends inc. a 5" CRS round and a 6" G5.

So anyway, i've decided i want to have another go at this. My goals were to bend the Bastard then adventually a red, so i'll have another run at it.

Wish me luck, :D

Pete

All the best Pete! :rock

Go for it :rock

Go for it Pete! Good luck man. If I can do it, you can do it. PM me if you want any advice and/or workouts that I never posted. I'll send them your way...

Pete,

I was in a very similar situation as far as DU strength until yesterday, being so frustrated with my progress that I'd rarely bend DU, and when doing so, only work up to the 1/4" x 5" G5 to tie my PR, only to achieve NO damage in the 6" x 1/4" G8. Yesterday, I destroyed the 6" x 1/4" G8, finding that I simply had to keep the bar tighter to my body, LOCK the wrists, be much more explosive, and once that bar moved even a few degrees (surprising the hell outta me, to tell you the truth) to show no mercy and keep on moving until your fists touch and can't move anymore.

Trust me when I say this: You are so close, keep attacking.

Best of luck,

Brad

Go for it Pete! Good luck man. If I can do it, you can do it. PM me if you want any advice and/or workouts that I never posted. I'll send them your way...

Thanks Ben, i'll be sure to drop you a PM. Im gonna ease my way back into it, firstly get back to the strength i had previously, then on to new horizons.

Pete,

I was in a very similar situation as far as DU strength until yesterday, being so frustrated with my progress that I'd rarely bend DU, and when doing so, only work up to the 1/4" x 5" G5 to tie my PR, only to achieve NO damage in the 6" x 1/4" G8. Yesterday, I destroyed the 6" x 1/4" G8, finding that I simply had to keep the bar tighter to my body, LOCK the wrists, be much more explosive, and once that bar moved even a few degrees (surprising the hell outta me, to tell you the truth) to show no mercy and keep on moving until your fists touch and can't move anymore.

Trust me when I say this: You are so close, keep attacking.

Best of luck,

Brad

Thanks Brad, good to know someone else really struggled with the G8, glad to hear you overcame it, i will hopefully do the same.

I think that maybe now that my grip is much stronger than it was back in March, i will hit some new PRs in a few months time.

Good stuff Pete! 5.5" G5 is not too shabby. That G8 will fall...and when it finally does, holy cow it's a neat feeling.

Good stuff Pete! 5.5" G5 is not too shabby. That G8 will fall...and when it finally does, holy cow it's a neat feeling.

Ben's absolutely right, Pete. Once I got that 1/4" x 6" Grade 8 a few days ago, a huge barrier in my mind was destroyed, and as I thought from that moment onward, "It's time to go hunting!!" Today, I was able to DU my first Bastard nail, to a little over 90 degrees and in less than 10 seconds, while training with Josh Dale and Dan Sweeney. I learned I wasn't invincible though, as a 6" Bastard DU attempt stopped me dead in my tracks :angry: But, now I'm thinking that the 6-3/4" Bastard better be careful, for it's the next victim on my DU hit-list.

Nice bending Pete!!! The Bastard is just around the corner :mosher

Brad, how about the rush of your first DU Bastard :rock

Thanks for the support guys, i got the 5" G5 last night as well, it went to about 50 degrees in my first hit, then took me about 15 mins to finish. Brad sounds like you're doing really well keep it up!.

I started bending again as well. I figured it would really help to strengthen my wrists back up for armwrestling. I do all of my bending DU the way I always have. I am looking to get back to where I was before I stopped within 6 months or so and then go beyond there and see where I can take it. I have been bending about twice a week to get things rolling slowly. Good luck man, if you wanna compare notes PM me and we can talk shop.

SHRUG

Nice to see you back and bending DU Shrug. Hope to hear of some nasty short bends again soon. Maybe you should go for the DU Hex? Nobody's on that list, although a few probably could. I was close recently.

Thanks Ben, I hope I do not disappoint you. Remember when I PM'ed you about my forearm issue I had going on? That seems to be all but totally cleared up now and it continues to improve daily, and the best part is that bending seems to be helping it along. I am working back up on grippers as well but I am taking them slower. I am hitting all this stuff again because of armwrestling, my training partners don't want any part of it but I know it will give me the edge over the guys who choose not to do it. Anyway I will be bending again here in a day or so, soon I will be back to where I was, after that I have some big plans that I hope I can make happen.

SHRUG

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight after a fairly heavy grip sesh, had a spot of bending, i warmed up then went for the G8. After getting myself very angry (gazzas videos for inspiration on that one) i managed to move the fuc*er, in my first hit on it, i got it to around 5 degrees, farther than i have done before, but on subsequent hits i couldnt get it to budge. Still a PR , though somewhat enoyed that i couldn't get the bastard to keep bending to at least 40. I'll persevere, maybe i'll be able to finish it off next time.

Pete

You haven't got it yet??? It's been 3 weeks! 7/10 Must Try Harder!

Ha, i know i hang my head in shame. I have however already surpassed my previous best which had taken my 4 months to get to at the time in now 3 weeks, so not too bad. :D I will of course however endeavour to do better.

Pete

hang in there mate this is your new iso tool just keep hitting it and trying a fresh one every few days believe and it will happen.

Turns out im crap with judging angles, the kink i put in the G8 yesterday wasn't 5 degrees but 15 degrees!

Turns out im crap with judging angles, the kink i put in the G8 yesterday wasn't 5 degrees but 15 degrees!

You're almost there! Great work Pete! It'll be another workout or 2. I've got a few lately to 15-25 and then it seems within a few workouts after that, they're at 40 or more.

Nice work onthe G8 Pete keep hitting it I got my first G5@6" JH Brand last friday when I started I had very little strength in this style.The G8 still not much movment for me its definatley a tough one all my best in your bending your strong gripper work must be a help too!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan