Bent The Diamond #2 Horseshoe!

EricMilfeld

I made tonight my second shoe workout, and after starting to get a feel for the off the side of the hip technique I managed one very hard fought #2 Diamond bend. It was brutally painful. At least I think I bent it. What constitutes a full bend? Do the legs have to hit 180 degrees? Mine are just shy. But that thing is frozen there! My leg's in a bad way now, but I'm stoked!

Could someone knowledgeable relate this bend to an unbraced short steel bend? Grade 8, maybe?

Wow! Now that's progress. Legs have to be past 90 degress for a legal bend for FBBC.

Super job. Those are tough ones and you seem to have leap-frogged some of the smaller progressions. That's great.

Tim

Great bend Eric, that as good as most of us on here. Dont know what the big boys are doing though.. Use a towel for padding, otherwise you will end up with a deep bruise that will take months to heal. Slowly wean yourself from the towel as you progress...........BK

Thanks for the support, ya'll! Great, now I'm going to spend all day tying to get those last few degrees.

Kerb, I used some folded leather to protect my legs but I still look as if I got kicked by a mule. But I'll take your advice for sure. I think I need to down grade a shoe or two and hone my technique, because that was one ugly vessel popping bend.

Congrats Eric!! Man that's great!

I've done the DC0 one and it does freeze right before it hits 90 degrees. It started snapping in my triceps as I tried to get it there

Mats

Try a nice thick bath towel I think you will like it better.............It allows the shoe to sink in like your thigh, and actually helps keep it from turning.........Keep up the great work though that is huge progression in 1 day...............BK

Another vote for the bath towel. Nothing kills my thigh more than a tough horseshoe. I can handle a spike going acrossed it but the angle that this shoe hits when I push down just kills that thigh muscle. Almost kinda rolls it around.

Great job again.

Tim

Great job man,I also vote in the towel.

I was just gonna vote for the bath towel myself (as hand padding also).

I was surprised how my shoe bent. The ends look like bananas. Kinda like the shoe didn't twist in the centre. I'm not sure about yours..?

I can't stand any of the horseshoes we have in Norway. Every single one of em has got this annoying supersharp "toe" on em. hehe

Mats

Try a nice thick bath towel I think you will like it better.............It allows the shoe to sink in like your thigh, and actually helps keep it from turning.........Keep up the great work though that is huge progression in 1 day...............BK

Kerb,

Does the towel go on the outside of your thigh for the start of the bend, or is it just on the top of the thigh for the pushdown to 180 degrees and beyond?

Brad

Edited by Brad Manion

I was just gonna vote for the bath towel myself (as hand padding also).

I was surprised how my shoe bent. The ends look like bananas. Kinda like the shoe didn't twist in the centre. I'm not sure about yours..?

Mats

I tried the towel, and yes, it feels much better.

The ends of mine actually look pretty straight. I guess my technique is just better than yours. :laugh But it's not good enough to finish that thing. I even tried rowing it and couldn't find the sweet spot where I felt as if I was getting my back into it and not wasting energy trying to stabilize it. My right eye is all bloodshot, too.

Kerb,

Does the towel go on the outside of your thigh for the start of the bend, or is it just on the top of the thigh for the pushdown to 180 degrees and beyond?

Brad

Both, its kinda like shooting a gun for me as it keeps me from getting gun shy/pain shy with the shoes, and allows me to put forth full effort without regards to pain.......

Thanks Kerb.

I applied that lesson today with a St. Croix Forge Ultra Lite #2, and though I didn't get the heart, I got farther than ever. One leg was bent completely into position while the other had maybe 50% of the inner-thigh crush needed to form the heart. So, by my math, I went from a previous PR of 75% of the bending need to form the horseshoe heart to about 85-90% of the bending needed.

Edited by Brad Manion

Thanks Kerb.

I applied that lesson today with a St. Croix Forge Ultra Lite #2, and though I didn't get the heart, I got farther than ever. One leg was bent completely into position while the other had maybe 50% of the inner-thigh crush needed to form the heart. So, by my math, I went from a previous PR of 75% of the bending need to form the horseshoe heart to about 85-90% of the bending needed.

Nice work, Brad!

I love that video of Chris doing one in three motions!

A nice tweener shoe for some of you guys may be the Diamond Hind, in a #1, they are alittle thinner on average than the classics and have a different shape (not a typical U) Which allows the legs to bend a little easier. I honestly havnt bent one in a while but it was the first shoe I bent about a year ago. Anyone else try these? What do you think?

A nice tweener shoe for some of you guys may be the Diamond Hind, in a #1, they are alittle thinner on average than the classics and have a different shape (not a typical U) Which allows the legs to bend a little easier. I honestly havnt bent one in a while but it was the first shoe I bent about a year ago. Anyone else try these? What do you think?

I don't know alot about horseshoes but isn't there hind and front varieties of more than one model? I could be totally wrong mind you but I'll definately have to look for what you're talking about. Might make a good show shoe.

Thanks for the tip.

Tim

I will try and get a model number off them this weekend plus try 1 or2 out to see if they are as i remember. My local Tractor supply carries them and had a big box full last time i was in. BK

Got some today, they say hind 0 on them and are diamond brand. I would say they are very similar to the old classics ive got but easier and thinner than the newer ones i got earlier this month. Probably not worth your time to pursue. Sorry they are not as i remembered. BK

Hey I can say too that I just got some more DC1 shoes the other day and this latest batch is monsters. Must be much tougher metal cause they stopped me with only a slight wobble. Much, much harder.

Later,

Tim

Shoot AP, these really suprised me. After one of them kicked my but, I went back and got one of my older ones and bent it as always. I'll try one of the newer ones again when I'm fresh but they were definately harder. Tried 2 of them too with the same results. They almost seemed to have a little spring to them which I though was unusual for a shoe.

Good luck!

Tim