Unfolded My First Horseshoe

EricMilfeld

Two days ago I awoke to the sound of the doorbell and found my box of St. Croix #2s on my porch. I was really anxious to redeem myself, so, half asleep and late for work, I couldn't resist the temptation to try one out cold. I first attempted to duplicate the technique as I think I've seen others use. Well, apparently either I don't see it right or I'm just very weak in that position, because the darn thing didn't give one millimeter. Then I decided to cheat. With the shoe placed square on the front of my left thigh midway between my hip and knee I then rotated it so it was pointing at 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock. Then with the tops of my hands facing each other I grabbed the top portions of the shoe's legs and sort of spread it apart, or unfolded it as it were. From here I took it past 180 degrees over my thigh and then went for the heart shape, but only one leg gave way, leaving a... broken heart. So later at work I fine tuned my unconventional technique and made one lopsided heart and two very nice romantic looking hearts, which are now linked together and nailed into the casing over my garage door. Ooohhh, how sweet!

Now I wonder if anyone else has used this technique. I'm also wondering if my potential for bending tougher shoes would be greater if I was to work on the conventional technique.

But here's what I did learn in my brief encounter with the steely shoes. You need to consciously insure that you are bending both halves of the shoe equally. Also, it was imperative for me to focus on bending the shoe from the "apex", and not simply by tweaking the ends of the shoe. This made for a much easier time of getting past 180 degrees. After taking it as far as I could over my thigh it then becomes important to continue focusing on bending both halves simultaneously. When one side would inevitably start to bend more than its twin I would grab the eager leg closer towards the apex and try to keep it stationary as I grabbed the other out at the end and bent it to catch up. Being completely new, this all took a lot of concentration on my part.

Another question I have is whether it's considered normal for the legs once in the heart shape to be offset by about an inch or so. As you look at the heart from the front it looks symmetrical and complete, but from the side the once inch gap is apparent. And try as I did, I just couldn't crush it together all the way.

Anyways, I'm all bruised up, my abs are sore, and I'm in love. Just what I needed... another grip related addiction.

Great Job Eric!!! :rock

The first shoe I bent was with the technique you used to bend yours. It took me forever and I had a nasty bruise when I was done. I then started trying the other style, like Pats, it took a little while to get it down. I still occasionally have problems getting it started. You have to hold it just right and apply the pressure just right. I think the technique, outside of thigh- pushing and pulling, is kind of like DO. Once you get the technique down you will get to advance through the shoes faster.

I have quite a few shoes that one of the legs of the shoe bends more than the other. I'm still trying to correct that. I just try to apply more pressure to the slacking end. I'll try moving my hands like you said, next time I bend shoes.

The gap between the ends when you have the shoe bent into a heart. I always have that, sometimes a big gap sometimes an inch or so. I've tried like crazy to get them to touch.

Well done Eric!!

I've also got major problems getting the shoe started.

I hope someone makes an E-book about horseshoe bending :D

Crushing the ends together is extremely hard. I've only seen heartshaped shoes with a gap between the ends

Mats

but only one leg gave way, leaving a... broken heart.

aaaawwwwwwwwwww :(

Mats

I hope someone makes an E-book about horseshoe bending :D

Mats

good idea !!!

there now as yet only I know Clay Edgin article : http://www.strongmanfeats.com/files/TwistingAhorseshoe.pdf

maybe guys from http://www.dieselcrew.com/ would write E-book about horseshoe bending ? :D

Edited by pawel r

Great job! Some hearts look alot better than others and the ends almost never meet perfectly. Nice to have you hooked on something else.

Tim

Thanks for feeding my addiction, guys!

Well, I did two more after work just now using the conventional technique. Like Jason said, I think once I learn the technique I should have little trouble progressing. I did feel stronger getting it started using the conventional off the side of the hip style.

Man, but there's so many variables with these things. So far, no two of my six bends have felt the same. I can't wait till I can just blast through one without straining my guts... and my poor little brains.

Congrats Eric!!! I strained my guts on the 0. :blush Awesome strength :rock

I knew with your deadlifting background you could do really good.

Great job.

Tim

Great job, Eric!