Vbar Carryover

Jose Jara

I hate the Vbar, not only is a bad lift for me but i don´t know how to improve in this lift.

I have one question, do you think that there are any carryover to other areas of grip? In my opinion, is a very specific movement that, like grippers, you'll improve to this lift training but not translates to other areas.

On the other hand, the best exercises that i know to improve functional strength of the hand are pinch and wrist movements. The best overall : thick bars, but the problem is the size of the hand.

What do you think?

On the little of v-bar I've done I've found it best to keep the weight low and go for multiple sets and reps to go for a cumulative training effect. Doing heavy singles just ripped my hands right up, making it hard to make progress (or indeed perform up to par) in any other area of grip.

As for it being very specific then yes, it is the only grip event where you are trying to stop the bar sliding out of your hand at an angle. I found though that it really made me focus on squeezing hard with the hand (like the pinch) - I am often guilty of just putting my hands on the bar and pulling without really thinking about what I am doing.

Edited by The Mac

Bump for a great question. I'll be interested to see what kind of responses are posted here by some of the big v-bar pullers.

Zero carryover for me, for anything. Although, I'm sure that some day, I will be somewhere and someone will need a horseshoe pole pulled out of the ground and if I happen to be there at that specific moment, I'll have a better chance than most at pulling it out and I'll be a hero. It's the motivation to keep me training good ol' vbar.

I find no carryover from this event to any grip exercise.

David

Agreed. Good for upper back and traps but no grip carry over.

damnit...the only thing i am halfway decent at.....but i'll say that it seems to have a negative effect on my other grip stuff....because of the torn skin that Mac mentions and because it can be really tiring.

No carryover, not a good exercise for grip strength, not a good test for grip strength.

i think its the other way round, other things carry over to v-bar - my thoughts are if you're hold strength is good an you're good at overcrushing grippers, then you will most likely be good at v-bar >its a good lift for me without even training it

Is all the negativity here because of that video of a skinny girl pulling 275+? :D

I personally don't care about this lift. I did 200 then when I tried more reefed on my wrist. I'm decent at deadlift so I'm not worried about my back, just my wrist. IMO this is just another "carnival" gimmick lift. No real disrespect meant to those who love it though. I've read some things where people claim there's a high correlation between being real strong at gripper and VBar. Obviously people like Wes & Viper would know, but others seem to think that VBar carries over to gripper close & vice-versa. That'd be the only reason I'd try to get better at it, but these days I just don't care about Vbar.

I don't know about carryover to other grip feats, but I think v-bar with a 2.5 inch handle would be great for grapplers. The way people fight for wrist control with ulnar deviation seems to be imitated by this well. I think it can be a very functional lift.

Now, the question is....if this lift has no carryover, could be bad for other lifts in contests (skin loss..) and only demonstrates support, Why not change to another support event in the contests?

I think there are a lot of lifts that demonstrate support grip and are funier than the Vbar: partial lifts, one hand deadlifts....

Just my opinion.

I'm going to disagree. Not in a big way, but I think there is carryover to training turns in the farmer's walk. Not really a grip exercise, but...it is. This is especially true on the longer runs where you might not have the most secure grip. It's the ackward element.

The limiting factor being hand strength, i think it is fair to say that it is definitely a grip exercise.

Also, if there isn't any carry-over to other grip exercises it means that you are training your hand strength in a way no other grip exercise does. Sounds pretty interesting actually.

That being said, i really dislike that lift :D

Zero carryover for me, for anything. Although, I'm sure that some day, I will be somewhere and someone will need a horseshoe pole pulled out of the ground and if I happen to be there at that specific moment, I'll have a better chance than most at pulling it out and I'll be a hero. It's the motivation to keep me training good ol' vbar.

Was I the only one who found this answer to be hilarious? That's a pretty good reason to keep training for it. :)

Yeah, that's funny. And actually, I've been in this situation. But, it was a pull cemented in for a clothes line. They were yanking and pulling on this sucker for like a week, I came by and popped 'er right out.