Vbar Differences?

wscorpion

Hi Guys,

I've bought this vbar from Choice Of Champions and I can't imagine anyone lifting over 180kg on this vbar since it's very smooth and slippery.

Maybe I'm wrong here but the vbars used in contests have knurling on them, don't they?

If so, what is the best lift someone did on this vbar? I have a hard time lifting 95kg on this one and if I take a look at all the results from contests then I have a very long way to go if those results are on the same vbar ;)

If my German is up to much then yes you have a way to go because I think it says that it is the same bar used in records... not sure though. If not then GB member Arne will sell you one.

Thanks guys, well time for some training then ;)

But what's the difference between this vbar and the fbbc one then for example? Both are used in contests, but which ones?

Quality of steel and a small fractional difference in diameter. The event reports should state which one was used.

Ok...

But how do you work on the vbar then? Even the smallest amount of chalk already ensures I cannot even lift 60kg of the ground.

I really need to be sure my hands are dry but at the same time as clean as possible otherwise it just won't work.

I also need to clean the bar with a piece of towel every time before the lift :(

There's gotta be another way to train the vbar. This just takes too much time and besides that, I know it doesn't have much to do with strength at this point, so how do you improve it?

Edited by White Scorpion

Ok...

But how do you work on the vbar then? Even the smallest amount of chalk already ensures I cannot even lift 60kg of the ground.

I purchased a Fat Bastard Barbell Company vertical bar in 2005. In 2004, with a bad back, I lifted 90kg on a homemade job that Clay Edgin had. A year later, with a much better back, I could not lift 90kg on the Fat Bastard version. I posted on the Gripboard, asking if they (Fat Bastard bars) were more difficult than others.

The response from a few was that it takes a while for the bar to get "seasoned". I researched the subject quite a bit, printed out tips from others, and focused on what Mikael Siversen had to say.

The bar, through workouts and use, "seasoned" up fine, with a combination of chalk residue and my flesh. I NEVER wipe it off. The more crap on the bar, the better. My particular bar has been used in contests in Los Angeles, and about 12 people are on the Fat Bastard "certification list" using my bar. I think Ryan Klein pulled 386 on it in a contest in November 2006. It definitely was not more difficult than others.

Slowly, through research, patience, pain, workouts, experimenting, etc, my numbers went from under 200 pounds to 225 to 250 to 270. One night I adjusted my body position over the bar and I went from 270 to 305 in 5 pound increments. Of course, I injured myself that night, but recovered. Since then I have pulled 321 on a Fat Bastard Bar in competition and around 314 on a LGC bar (the official bar manufactured in Sweden) at a competition in England. The LGC bar may be 1-2% more difficult than the Fat Bastard bar. Two nights ago, in a workout, I pulled 301 with my left hand. I am 53 years old, and have never deadlifted more than 350 pounds.

The point to this lengthy post is that nobody here can give you a quick answer that will provide quick results on this very frustrating implement. And it IS a frustrating implement. I know of no other event where the MIND seems to affect the results more than the body. Then again, I can't even bend a carrot, so maybe that is not true.

There is no other source in the world better than the Gripboard to improve your vertical bar lift. It is all in here, you just need to look for it.

Here is a hint: If you are picking it up, even to move it from one side of the room to another, more often than twice a week, you are seriously overtraining on it. Some top guys train once every 10 days on it. Personally, and I know no others besides me that do this, I use a 10-15 day 3 workout cycle: 1)light-medium, 2)medium-heavy, and 3)nothing. Say Friday I did 10 light singles, Tuesday 10 singles working up to heavy, I would do nothing until at least the following Monday, most likely Tuesday or Wednesday. For light weights, I may do 2 reps, rarely 3. Anything more than light weights, I never do more than 2 reps. It is mostly singles. I never do more than 12 reps total per hand in a workout, including warmup reps.

I have no idea what others do. I did my own research, experimented, and found out what worked for me.

I question whether anyone has ever "enjoyed" their early vertical bar experiences. It chases most people away, and it seems to be making its exit from American grip contests these days. Unlike bending, there is no "glory" in it.

Edited by Hubgeezer

I hate the damn thing, but as long as the Europeans use it, it will make an appearance at my contests here and there.

I know alot of people train it very infrequently, but I wonder if some people need to use it more often to get the skin on their hands up to shape? Every competition I have been in, I have torn skin off in the vbar.

@HubGeezer, thanks for the post. so that explains a lot. It needs to season.

Guess I'm just not used to equipment which gets easier over time (not including strength gains), normally a weight weighs just as much as it will do after 1000 lifts.

I hate the damn thing, but as long as the Europeans use it, it will make an appearance at my contests here and there.

I know alot of people train it very infrequently, but I wonder if some people need to use it more often to get the skin on their hands up to shape? Every competition I have been in, I have torn skin off in the vbar.

This is something I cannot comprehend at this point. torn skin on the one hand lift, definitely, but on the vbar? I know I'm strong enough to lift more then 95kg on a vbar (never did it, but I'm sure I can), but on this bar it just won't work.

It feels the same as the hub device which is painted. as soon as you use chalk you can't hold it anymore.

I know I won't be able to lift only once every 10 days, I work on my grip 6-7 days a week, so the vbar should be seasoned soon enough ;)

Thanks guys!

I know alot of people train it very infrequently, but I wonder if some people need to use it more often to get the skin on their hands up to shape?

I suppose that is why I lift more often than the Big Boys do, my so called "light day". My theory is that if your hand feels like leather, you have an advantage over soft handed people. The "heavy" workout is the real workout to strengthen the lift. The "light" workout is to keep the condition of the hands tough, and the "no workout" is to rest your brain so that you don't dread the stupid thing the next time you try it. I know of no others that use this approach, that is what worked for me to go from 200 to 300 in 6 months.

A year ago, Odd Haugen, who had never touched the implement, warmed up with around 250, easy. Went to 275, easy. His first official lift in the contest was 296, and he said it was "extremely easy". On his second attempt, 306, it went real easy as well. After that rep, his skin was shredded, so that was all she wrote.

why not just get a 1" loading pin? they are cheap an work fine

The ironmind one wouldn't be tall enough to hold the weight...unless you're a wimp.

:D