Weaver stick?

Guest mg6680

Guest mg6680

Over the last couple of hours I researched the archives for any posts on the weaver stick with negative results.  From reading some of the posts the lift seems like a very difficult and classic one that I should add to my growing equipment base.

Can someone please explain the piece of equipment to me and the specifics of the lift?  Is it easily manufactured?

Thanks,

Morgan

As current WR holder (god I love bragging) here's what you need:

Weaver Stick Lift to Rear

George Russell Weaver popularised this wrist leverage test some 50 years ago whilst living in Brooklyn. A round stick (mop handle) is used which has the following dimensions – diameter about 1”, length 42”. Half an inch from one end cut a notch. Exactly 36” from the centre of this notch, circle the stick with a line. Get two metal right angles at a hardware store, and screw them into the top and bottom sides of the stick so that the rear edges of the right angles come exactly to the circled line. The topside of the stick is the side where the notch is cut. This leaves a handle just 5 ½” long.

The weight hangs from a wire in the notch ½” from the end, creating a leverage effect when you lift the stick by the handle. For the lift to the rear, you face away from the stick, grasping the handle with your little finger towards the weight, and lift the stick and weight off the table. You may bend your body forward as the lift is made.

The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. If the weighted end slopes downwards, you may carry on the event till the stick is level. You will then get the referees command to lower the stick. There must be no rocking of the stick on the table before lifting. The lifter hand and arm must remain free of the body. The heel of the hand must remain

In case Steve is kissing his forearms at the moment,

the heel of the hand must remain on top of the stick.

16.64 lbs is other-worldly. Amazing.

Has Slim the Hammerman tried this lift? He would be

your only real challenge, it seems.

...The heel of the hand must remain on top of the stick; if the hand twists around under the stick, the lift is not allowed.

Sorry about that.

I watched the Slim video and the day after the Iron Grip comp David H and I plus Kalle et al all had a go at mimcing what Slim does. IE: hammer to the face etc. We didn't try 2 at a time but could lower 16 pounds. However, rumours abound with Slim. One says that he can use upto 30 pounds and the other that no one has challenged him for years out of respect. If I were to go to the AOBS I'd probably feel the same.

It is not a matter of challenging Slim 'to his face'.

Do you think if Slim were present when someone else

levered a couple of, say, 20 lb hammers, that he

would feel the need to show his greater ability? I hope not.

But at the same time, it should be made known that he

is, to use your parlance, 'the lever bar daddy'.

Respect works two ways. We should respect Slim for his

longstanding contributions to the iron, and he should

respect anyone able to surpass him.

Where, by the way, are the age category distinctions for

Slim? Even if someone levers more than he, will that new

person be able to maintain the decade by decade level

that Slim has maintained?

Lift what you can lift and let the respect fall automatically

into place. :blush

I agree. This is my point... I wouldn' feel, jokes and occasional bragging aside, the need to call out a man who has been doing what I've just started, relatively speaking, just to make myself feel big.

That said why not do what one can, when the occasion arises and if Slim gets to hear about it, cest la vie. I also beleive that he, like most strong men (except perhaps Inch ;) ) never pushes himself to the max for a display. He is the mark by which all lever men measure themselves (except for me as my tartget was to beat John Grimeks record).

Weaver Sticks no. Broomsticks yes but I always used and still do my EZ curling bar (16 pounds) as a starting point.

Weaver was displeased with Grimek's style in the

Weaver stick, and although George never said John

was cheating, there apparently was some factor that

made John's attempt 'easier', and George told me that

it skewed the stats- though he did not explain any

further than that.

By the way, Weaver a few years ago wrote 'The

Enrichment of Life' (book). Is probably available thru

library systems.

Mr. Mobsterone and/or Mr. Roark-

What are the right angles for?  Are they a 'safety' to keep the bar from flipping off the bench when the stick is loaded with weight?

Thanks.

No. They don't have to be big they are there to stop you putting your hands too far down the stick and giving yourself too much of an advantage.

Joe can you guess what the factor may have been?

Guest 115-1005574997

its worth noting that David Horne, the previous world record holder, suggests you use a wrist wrap or tight bandage as the radious and ulnar are pulled apart as you lift the weight.

A safety tip i'd recomend!

What is the minimum length for a weaver stick? Of course, anyone could lift 16.-something if the stick was short enough.

36" from weight to top of grip.   A bit longer than a sledgehammer.  Still, a front lever of a 10lb. plus sledgehammer is a significant feat.

Robert

I watched the Slim video and the day after the Iron Grip comp David H and I plus Kalle et al all had a go at mimcing what Slim does. IE: hammer to the face etc. We didn't try 2 at a time but could lower 16 pounds. However, rumours abound with Slim. One says that he can use upto 30 pounds and the other that no one has challenged him for years out of respect. If I were to go to the AOBS I'd probably feel the same.

Of course, you would apply the formula from the Iron Grip competition to allow for age differences if you did challenge him.  I wonder what advantage 30+ years gives ! Maybe Slim would walk away with an Iron Grip championship if he did enter one year.

Robert,

Maybe he would. But next years professional section of the Iron Grip champs has no age, bodyweight or gender allowance.

David

Next year I'm gonna enter the novice class in a dress and be armed with a pension book - it'll be a sinch to win :p