Has anyone trained with kettlebells?

the swiss

or used any Pavel Tsatsouline methods, like the "grease the groove" method?

I have heard many armwrestlers use kettlebells, just wondering if anyone on this forum has had results gripwise with them.

anyway I plan to start using them a little, I'll keep you posted on the results (or lack of results).

train hard

david

Put Stan Pike - Blacksmith into a search engine he has 2 sites. One is related to his forge (where he can make thick handled kettle bells) and the other is a kettle bell training site based here on the UK which he runs with a Russell Bailey (I think). They might have a few tips.

If I had access to kettlebells I'm sure I'd give them a try. I don't have any, and of course my gym doesn't have any either. I have followed Pavel's training methods too. I made good progress when I performed deadlifts everyday.

thanks for the links!

another one is: kettlebells faq

paul valpreda: I agree kettlebells are really hard to get by. I am now using a weight of some kind (a dumbell for example) to which I attach a handle, so that I still get the particular kettlebells effect on the wrist at the top of movements. Seems to work fine for now, although I can't do any movement where you're supposed to hold the kettlebell upside down by the handle. Can still do snatches, clean and presses, swings, etc...

train hard

david

I think that "greasing the groove" works and I'm going to try this with pull-ups next. I want to get my pull-up numbers up and it's been tough just doing the regular sets and reps thing twice a week. I'll do these everyday and report my progress. Your idea about making a dumbbell into a kettlebell sounds pretty good. Maybe I'll try something similar.

Guest girevik

I have been doing kettlebell lifting for quite a while. I highly recommend it, especially if you're into grip training. My grip has never been better since I've been using them. They have thick handles, and with the forces built up in the ballistic lifts, it really puts a lot of stress on the grip. Actually, grip, wrist, and forearm strength/endourance is usually what limits how many snatches, swings, C&Js, etc, you can do, in the beginning, at least. When the kettlebell is on your forearm, in a press, for example, you have to keep your wrist tight to keep it from bending back, so it developes great wrist strength. Most grip enthusiasts would really enjoy kettlebell juggling, and bottoms-up drills.

I use the GTG meathod with my IronMind grippers, and have made good progress that way. Good luck, "Comrade"!

thanks for the site.

I had actually found it, didn't mean to sound ironic, Mobsterone, so sorry if I did!

I agree on the effect of kettlebells on grip so far. snatches also pump my forearms, and with swings, I think a lot of stress can be put on the hand. I use a 2.5 ' handle.

train hard

david