Widest known gripper

stratavarious_connection

Hi   members,

I  would  just like to    know what is the highest known width between  the handles, particularily of  the # 3,  Elite, and  #4  grippers...I   know that  Tom Black  has  brought  forth to  us  an alternative way of determining the   difficulty of grippers with comparingthem to other grippers.however, since I  don't  have  calipers, I  will not    post  my  WAMA.....but, I  will  give the   specs of the   width  (  distance  between handles ) and the  height of my grippers ,  the later  following  Toms' recommendation of measurement. ....  # 3 = 8.1 mm ( I find  this  gripper to be  extremely wide) - 13.1 mm  ( height)  Elite= 7.9mm (very  wide I would  think ) - 12.9 mm ( height)......the  Elite (  chrome  spring ) is  defintely harder than the #3...#4= 7.5mm ( width ) and  13.2mm respectively...it  must  be stressed that the  width measurement is approxmiately where the handles touch (  inside of the  handles-- outside of the  bevel )...to date, I  have notseen a  #3 gripper or any # of gripper for that  matter, that is as wide as my 1996 circa  #3..............please let me know if i  was  stuck with a   crappy  bunch of    grippers ( way too  wide ).......LOL :) PS:when I  get  calipers I  will  post the  width the  diameters of  each spring of the grippers just mentioned and  the  diameter of my  entire collection of  grippers....thanks for  reading the post..............Best Wishes

I remember having a Lemley's gripper that had a handle spread of over 9 centimeters!  I gave that one away.

wow, that  sure is   WIDE!...  but I  am  wondering if someone  has heard of a  wider  Iron Mind  or  Beefbuilder  gripper than   my  8.1  mm....... Snot, did the gripper that you  speak of resemble ( handles ) the  IronMind   or  Beefbuilder  grippers? Thanks for the  reply :)

I have an Ironmind #3 that has a handle spread of 8.3 cm, and my BeefBuilder master has a handle spread of 8.2 cm.

My Ironmind #3 is 8.2 cm and is the widest of all my grippers. I only bothered to measure it when I could clearly see it was a lot wider than the #4. I do not know what a typical #3 measures between the handles.

thanks for the replies everyone...OldGuy  &  Riot that is VERY wide!..how is the knurl on the handles ( have you   closed those)? On mine, the knurl is practically nonexistent, and is very hard to  position in my  hands...I have yet to   close it ( got it down  to  within a 16th of an  inch ). A friend of mine has a  double stamped # 3 which i  have   closed a  total of 5 times now....however the handles are  much   closer and the  knurl  is  fresh....not   sure what the  width is.  Once again, thanks for your  responses.

:)

I suspect that my #3 is more difficult to close than some, but that is what I have and will not try to find an easier one. I have closed it about a dozen times but not on a regular basis.

strat,

The Lemley's are made in China and the handles don't have the type of knurling that the IM's or the BB's have.  The most annoying feature of the gripper is that the spring is wound the other way around; so it's strange trying to grip it.