The competitors at löddeköpinge grip challenge v

Guest Mikael Siversson

Guest Mikael Siversson

The following individuals are competing in the Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge V, next Saturday.

Niklas From (new entry)

Stefan Ljungberg (new entry)

Kenth Gardenkrans

Kalle Lane

Arne Persson

Mikael Siversson

Joakim Palmqvist

Håkan Petschler

Paul Linton

Sebastian Bengtsson

Stefan has been working out with Arne and myself lately and was 0.5 mm from closing my #3 (131 mm height according to Tom's standard) a couple of days ago. With a bit of luck we could have as many as four competitors closing a #3. Additional events will probably be added to the LGC from 2003 onwards (i.e, wrist, some form of digit lift or the vertical bar lift.

Hey Mikael. Best wishes to you, Arne, and the others. From your recent posts it sounds like you guys are ready. As for additional events, it is sort of cool (IMO) that you have 3 basic events with one crush, one pinch, and one thick handle (all on standard equipment).

Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge V

One question. What does that Swedish word starting with an 'L' mean? Is that a city / location name, or is it some other descriptive word?

-Tim A.

Guest Mikael Siversson

I also like the simplicity of a three event competition but having strong wrists should be an advantage in a grip competition. Moreover, as it is, one can do very well in the comp. while still having weak distal finger joints. We will not however add more events if these, in our view, turn out to be difficult to judge or difficult to train for. This is why we will not include the table top wrist curl as it takes up to four people to practise it. The guy who trains at home by himself would never be able compete in the TTWC on equal terms. Unlike David we use a strongman style of scoring points. I would prefer David's system for his new "professional category" but it would be impossible then to use grippers for maximum power. We like grippers (more specifically; we are obsessed by the idea of finding out who can close the toughest gripper) and this is why we will continue to use the strongman system in spite of its obvious flaws.

Löddeköpinge is simply the name of the small town where Arne lives.

Difficult to judge or train for is a big deal, like you mentioned. Recently I was thinking about how hard it would be to judge certain lifts like a plate curl. What I call strict, the next guy might consider "loose" form. Also training for a lift (like you said) should be fairly simple so there are no big surprises on contest day.

Being a strongman fan I like the strongman scoring system, though I see David's criticism clearly that many will just do enough to win and no more. I too like to see the records being set and broken.

As for the town name, I thought that was probably the case but curiosity got the best of me. Thanks for the reply Mikael (or is it "Dr Crush").  :)

-Tim A.

The deal with the table top wrist curl isn't as bad as you think. I never had the chance to do that so just did partial range normal wrist curls over the knee. I still managed 308/140 on the day. If I had had help/practise it might have been higher - who knows.

Guest Mikael Siversson

Of course you would have done more. You would not prepare for a RT world record by doing clean and jerks with a 2 1/2 inch diametre bar, would you? You would train specifically with a RT handle to get just the right feel for the lift. On the other hand, the TTWC seems to be a lot easier to judge than other wrist exercises such as the dreaded plate curl.

Mikael,

Say hi to all your competitors from us in Stafford, and hope to see them in March.

Good luck to you all, David

As Arne loves to point out to everyone, I do have a PhD; in paleontology (fossil sharks).

Well, Dr Crush it is then! That does have a ring to it.

Interesting sounding specialty, BTW (fossil sharks).

-Tim A.

Dr Mikael, There is a nice picture of you in the latest MILO. ;)