Extensor Training?

Beev

Hey folks.

Ive been farting around with an elastic band lately, wrapping it around the fingers and openeing the hand, and recently got a set of the Iron Mind Bands, just so I have a set level of progression as the extensors get stronger. But, where do I fit the extensor work into the whole scheme of things? Is it a good idea to superset extensor work in with grip training? (havent trained with my grippers in a while, still havent quite nailed the COC#1).

Yours,

Beev

Extensors are the opposite muscles used from flexors. Crushing grip etc. involve closing the fingers so opening them works the opposite muscles. In all lifts doing both "sides" of a muscle group gives you balance; without muscle balance one side will be relatively weaker and you set yourself up for injury. IMO super-setting opposing muscles in a workout is not a bad way to go at all. Just as you might super-set a set of bench press with a set of bent-over rows or chinups, super-setting a set of gripper closes with a set of extensors band opens could work pretty well.

i always do them at the end of the workout - they have increased the size of my forearms an my tendons used to hurt a lot more when i didn't do them

i ain't on the same level as Viper, MMS BBSM is my best gripper close, but i do agree with what he said WRT the bands decreasing tendon pain and giving an increase in forearm size.....

i tend to do 2-3 sets of 25-50 reps w/ IM red bands a few hours after the main grip session.

hth,

phil.

I don't know if it's just the way I do them, but they give me a monster pump in the side of pinky pad (the part that sticks out).

Hey folks.

Ive been farting around with an elastic band lately, wrapping it around the fingers and openeing the hand, and recently got a set of the Iron Mind Bands, just so I have a set level of progression as the extensors get stronger. But, where do I fit the extensor work into the whole scheme of things? Is it a good idea to superset extensor work in with grip training? (havent trained with my grippers in a while, still havent quite nailed the COC#1).

Yours,

Beev

For me - nowhere. For those with pain right where it needs to be.

I always do them at the end of my workout and when doing contrast baths under hot water (using the other hand as resistance).

Always seems to help loosen up after a workout!

I usually do a set or 2 of 50 every couple of days with an orange band I have. I managed to wear out an break the IM bands fairly quick. A plumber buddy gave it to me and said it came off some part. its about twice as wide as a red band and I just center it on the finger nails. I usually dont do in the workout but just a random time throughout the day. I find that strength increases in the extensors for me seem to give up corresponding increases in the flexors.

- Aaron

its a small tool great to use while u are working or having fun and dont want to have a big gripper near u:-)