Pins & Needles In Last 2 Fingers, Left Hand

Guest indi

Summary. was off from lifting for a while, (injury, not related to lifting), and browsing the net, with my head resting on my left hand (chin on palm of hand, if u get me). never happened before, but when i got my head up from my hand, my last 2 fingers were half asleep, with pins and needles. thought nothing of it and ignored it. wok up the next day and the pins and needles are still there. ive since begun working out (been about a week now), woke up, with the same old pins and needles (they usually just fade away to the point where i barely notice them, but this time they didnt), and although it hasnt happened before, this time they really hindered my grip workout. my left and right hand are close to equal in most things, but today, there was a HUGE difference.

so, to sum it all up. pins and needles in the last 2 fingers of my left hand, any experience with this, how long itll last? what may have caused it? (ill be going o the docs on thursday to get it checked out and see wat they say, but figured soem of u guys may have experienced soemthing similar)

thanks for any help!

ulner nerve trouble. it can be caused by leaning on something hard or sleeping with your arms tucked under you. sometimes when I wake up asleep on my stomach I have that problem. it should clear up as long as you stop putting the pressure on it.

brent

ulner nerve trouble. it can be caused by leaning on something hard or sleeping with your arms tucked under you. sometimes when I wake up asleep on my stomach I have that problem. it should clear up as long as you stop putting the pressure on it.

brent

fantastic, thanks alot! any idea on how long itlll take to heal?

thanks again!

Somedays when i tear phonebooks and i get pressure on my thumb pad, could happen same that you. But for thumb. Needles and friends come and they like to stay couple of days. Strange.

ive had pins an needles many times, i dont think its anything to worry about, unless it dont go away that is - from my experience it comes from hard training basically, anything that needs a lot of force to do/creates a lot of pressure..dont really know exactly why it happens but it dont last long for me personally

i feel your pain i had a bad year too it may take you a year of lifting light to let it heal if it does read my posts might help a little im still progressing with minimal pain good luck

It's Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. I get it a lot and it's the bane of my (gripping) life.

I find the best way of dealing with it is to splint the ring and pinky together, like they used to with broken fingers. It clears it right up.

great link. cheers.

should i stay of all training until its fully cleared? (ie: any pulling/pushing mvoements...overheads, deads etc) or is it okay to continue with them? (ive stopped any/all grip work for now)

any kind of rehab i could do tht'll help speeden the recovery? dex balls? band work?

I think I have this "Cubital Tunnel Syndrome". For about the past two months when I played guitar my bottom two fingers (of my left arm/hand) kept falling asleep. Naturally, I was like "WTF" because why would they fall asleep when they are being used? Anyway, so also, when I'm benching I always get this weird pain in my elbow and sometimes in my forearm, but it only comes when I'm at least halfway from lockout, in other words, when my arm is bending. So I read that link you posted twig, and although I still hadn't fully connected the dots, I started trying to put my arms straighter a little more and see if it would help me relieve this pain that I got after doing chin ups (which wasn't exactly the same story as benching, but I got a horrible, achy, soreness right after I did a chin up, again mostly in my left arm.) It more quickly than ever relieved the pain. I also found out that cocking and uncocking my wrist helped relieve it too (a sign that I need more extensor work? Probably).

Finally, to bring it to the conclusion that helped me finally connect the dots: When I woke up this morning my bottom two fingers were asleep. So I straightened my arm up and (again) more quickly than ever, they became "unasleep". I finally figured out that me bending my arm for a long time when playing guitar was probably what caused them to go asleep.

In conclusion: Thank you twig! This has pretty much been the bane of my training as well (luckily this is the worst injury I've had), though, it hasn't really affected my grip training.