Next years british grip champs

David Horne

This post is basically for next years competitors. I have taken onboard a lot of the opinions expressed via this page and decided to alter the contest for next year. Hopefully the new classes will apease everyone, in fact if it doesn't, then don't bother coming as I can't do anymore.

We will now have four classes. Professional, Amateur, Intermediate and Novice.

The later 3 classes will run the same as normal with age/bodyweight and gender formulas.

The difference will be in the Professional class where we will use no bodyweight, age or gender formulas.

We will carry on using the event formula for the six different events. This makes it similar to the decathlon in athletics. This allows lifts with large poundage variances to be of equal importance. The reason for not using the 'strongman' style of scoring (ie. 10pts for 1st, 1pt for 10th) is that this system doesn't reward excellence, and makes you just do enough for the points. Under that scoring system we may not see the biggest lifts possible anymore, and we do like seeing them. As an example, at the recent British Grip Champs I would have only needed to lift 101k instead of 115k in the pinch lift, or 221k instead of 302.5k in the wrist curl. Also Jim would have only needed to pull 184k for top points instead of his whopping 243k on the vertical bar, and Steve needed only 69k on the thick dumbell.

The 6 events (as normal) will be pinch, supporting, wrist, crushing, elbow and thick bar.

David